PDA

View Full Version : Ski Pylon Removal

wiatowski
03-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Anybody tell me how to remove the ski pylon.... is it just as simple as removing the bolts under the floor?

lively
03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Its threaded just heat and bust loose ;)

wiatowski
03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
so what are the bolts at the bottom for?

lively
03-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Well if ur plate that is below the floor is like mine the only bolts are the ones lag bolted into the stringers. Are u trying to remove the pole or the whole thing? ?

whelchel86
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Threaded? That's a joke right? I mean, it makes sense that it could be but I have never heard of such. So, joke or no joke?

lively
03-21-2012, 10:32 PM
No joke how else would it be inserted through the floor? Mine was threaded

wiatowski
03-21-2012, 10:51 PM
just the post. under the floor is a metal housing that the post sits in with a couple of bolts in that housing... sorry no pics I don't have the boat at the house yet. But I have no need for the post and want to remove it.

wspeedin
03-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Well....good luck on that, lol. I loosened the threaded bolts that clamp onto the pole underneath the floor and heated that area up with a torch till it was glowing red and tried to turn the ski pole out and that thing didnt budge. I ended up removing it completely from the stringers and instead I just bought a Roswell Tower to install.

wiatowski
03-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Awsome....lol. Ya I've got a tower to put on too. I just find that it's in the way. I bringing it home next week so we'll see If I can get 'r' done. If not I might just zip blade the thing off.

lively
03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
U cannot use map gas or propane to bust that loose , it's got lock tight so it won't spin off .. U will need a setaline and oxy to heat above 300 degrees to allow the threads to swell and then take a mini sledge hammer and tap around the base as another person with a cheater pipe turns it loose .. Trust me it will give .. If it don't then grab the torch and blow through it :)

wiatowski
03-22-2012, 10:12 AM
U cannot use map gas or propane to bust that loose , it's got lock tight so it won't spin off .. U will need a setaline and oxy to heat above 300 degrees to allow the threads to swell and then take a mini sledge hammer and tap around the base as another person with a cheater pipe turns it loose .. Trust me it will give .. If it don't then grab the torch and blow through it :)

I have a trucking yard.... only ever use the big stuff. lol good idea to use 2 people

wspeedin
03-22-2012, 10:23 AM

We used an oxy/acetaline torch to heat that up, liek i said to glowing red hot. We had also put PB blaster on it before that. We had a 10ft piece of metal tubing as leverage and 5 of us were trying to break that thing apart. Maybe yours was simple but not all of us have it that easy. lol

lively
03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Well then use a chain fall and blow a hole through the pipe and hook to trolley and pull through floor lol ha ha .. If it won't bust
Loose then I would sell boat :)

wspeedin
03-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Well then use a chain fall and blow a hole through the pipe and hook to trolley and pull through floor lol ha ha .. If it won't bust
Loose then I would sell boat :)

LOL!!! somethings in these boats are jsut too old to repair, lol, so you just gotta remove or replace. besides...who needs a ski pylon? oh yeah, lol, those old guys who still slalom...lol, just kidding guys :)

lively
03-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Well knowing my luck dancing with the ladies on the dog house and fall and rack myself lol .. If ur are totally removing I would just cut it out ...

jet
03-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Damn it that part is coming up for me soon. I know mine is locked in but I need it to go back in the boat.

wiatowski
03-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Damn it that part is coming up for me soon. I know mine is locked in but I need it to go back in the boat.

Want to switch boats? It would save us both work. :D

DAFF
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I would leave it in there. Used mine to moor off the boat while docked or when loading unloading. Plus where would you hang your hat. Also can come in handy if you ever have to pull another boat to shore.