PDA

View Full Version : Rudder and drive shaft

finka
03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Could someone walk me through how to install rudder, rudder guide, and drive (prop) shaft?

DAFF
03-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Is this for the new salty?? If so add some pics of the troubled area. You will be suprised how ez fibregalss is to work with. Resin hardener and cloth.... Your back in the water.

finka
03-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Drive shaft is off..rudder is off..rudder guide is off. Have to clean the adhesive off from rudder and rudder guide.

DAFF
03-24-2012, 09:19 AM
The rudder is sandwiched been a top plate plywood recessed into fibre glass and the bottom plate. All this is held together with 4 special stainless bolts and nuts. If you have no dammage then it is very ez to replace. Use a razor blade to cut off any old adhesive and a fine brass wire wheel on a elelctric drill of die grinder to remove any residue.

Was the alignment of the engine changed?? If not the reinstall of the shaft and prop are much the same. A search will help you greatly.

finka
03-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Installed brand new rudder. But seems to stiff. Hard to move rudder with hand. Any suggestions?

sybrmike
04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Sound like you got the new one with grease seals from skidim installed? Try greasing up the zircs real good & work it back & forth.

finka
04-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Sorry for the dumb questions, never installed a prop on an inboard like this.
I was working on installing prop last night and just had a few questions before I finish completely. Attached are a few pictures to make sure everything is correct. Does the broach "key" slide all the way back to the drive shaft support ( in picture with red arrow).
Also is the jam nut the smaller nut or larger nut and which goes on the shaft first?
Thanks for all your help.

Salty87
04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Sorry for the dumb questions, never installed a prop on an inboard like this.
I was working on installing prop last night and just had a few questions before I finish completely. Attached are a few pictures to make sure everything is correct. Does the broach "key" slide all the way back to the drive shaft support ( in picture with red arrow).
Also is the jam nut the smaller nut or larger nut and which goes on the shaft first?

the key slides as far back as it can while remaining fully seated in the slot.

i only have 1 nut on my prop. it's a threadlock...nylock maybe.

docdrs
04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
That key is way too far forward. The key should be inside the prop hub, flush or slightly out from front of prop, thats what holds the prop from spinning on the shaft. Where you have it , it will ride on the strut causing vibration and or wear. As well as you tighten the nut you could bend the shaft or send the prop asymmetrically seated causing wear and or vibration. 1 nylock nut with a cotter pin is the standard now. Could be some old school setup with 2 nuts (ha ha) but you still need a cotter pin. Torque on the nut is 30 -35 ft lbs

DAFF
04-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I agree 110% with Doc. Try to position the key inside the prop and then push it on the shaft. There is a chance the key is the wrong size causing you difficulty in setting it up. By looking at the gap in the key to the shaft..... Dry a dry fit on the prop and on the shaft. The key should be snug fit inside the slotted area.

finka
04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Got the key set and bought a nylock nut for it.

sybrmike
04-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Looks much better. Did your rudder ever loosen up? A new one with grease seals will feel tight moving by hand, but remember you've got the leverage of the steering wheel, helm gears, and tiller arm to help out.

finka
04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Seems tight moving it by hand, but with the steering wheel, it is not that bad. I will find out more tonight, as long as the weather cooperates.