PDA

View Full Version : Best replacement for the Kenwood headunit in 08 Supra 22 SSv

Kb11
03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Hey guys,

Im new to supra's just curious what some of you replaced the KenWood headunit with. That thing is my only serious issue with the boat everything else is great. I wish they would have though about the driver more and installed a speaker in the cockpit but I can fix that pretty easy.

cigars n scotch
03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I still have my stock Kenwood HU in my '08 21V but I BARELY ever use it. I always used my ipod or my phone through AUX, and now that I will be installing a ZLD then I really wont be using my head unit at all. You'll see that the model HU you have will go into "protect" mode quite a lot.

If I were to replace it I'd look for something that has bluetooth. I don't play CD's, I only stream. Some people dont use their HU's at all with the setups they have. a HU nowadays is really archaic, especially a CD player unit. It's really up to you as to what features are important to you and how much you want to spend. I've always been a fan of Crutchfield, so I get a lot of audio/stereo equipment from them.

tg0824SSVGG
05-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Did anyone ever figure this out? Like most others, I do use the iPod directly into the wetsounds ws-420 most of the time,
but I do use the head unit to play the satellite radio --

At the moment, the radio and CD part of my headunit works, but it will not switch into satellite or aux modes. I have hit the reset button, disconnected
from power -- all the other things suggested.

I want the satellite radio back - but I also want something that fits where they had the original driver remote without it being too "hacky"

The kts-mp400mr don't seem to be available anymore except for used on ebay -- no thanks I already have a used one.

CornRickey
05-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Mine has a Alpine HU that was installed after the original Kenwood gave up the ghost by the po. The Kenwood remote on the stern obviously doesn't work with the Alpine. I was wondering is you guys use your stern remote at all? I'm kicking around the idea of installing a Alpine stern remote.

tg0824SSVGG
05-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Hey corn, not sure what your setup is like, but mine has the same remote for the driver that is on the back.. I don't use the back one, but up front the remote fits into a molded spot that would be hard to replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07SSV
04-30-2013, 06:13 PM
So Im curious if anyone has come up with a fix for the drivers remote. I like the fact that it is there and would like to keep it but there is nothing that I can find to replace it without looking hokey.

Zim
05-08-2013, 01:05 PM
So Im curious if anyone has come up with a fix for the drivers remote. I like the fact that it is there and would like to keep it but there is nothing that I can find to replace it without looking hokey.

If you replace your head unit with another aftermarket kenwood unit that has a wire for the remote on the back of the head unit, those stock kenwood remotes should still work. There will be a wire on the back of the head unit that you just plug the remote ends into, and bam... working remotes.

CornRickey
05-09-2013, 01:33 AM
I just replaced my whole system with a clarion hu and mw1 command remote. Its pretty sweet and the whole thing cost my 320.

07SSV
05-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Ive done a lot of research and it looks like all the new kenwood head units get their remote signal totaly different than the old 300-400s that were factory in my boat. My deck gave out and I can not find another one of the same model, so it looks like I am SOL. Im very dissapointed that Supra would have actually molded an aftermarket remote into the dash. Now there is nothing made that will fit there and not look totally hokey.:mad:

Zim
05-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Ive done a lot of research and it looks like all the new kenwood head units get their remote signal totaly different than the old 300-400s that were factory in my boat. My deck gave out and I can not find another one of the same model, so it looks like I am SOL. Im very dissapointed that Supra would have actually molded an aftermarket remote into the dash. Now there is nothing made that will fit there and not look totally hokey.:mad:

If you have access to a CNC you could create a plate the covers the mold, then put a new remote onto that plate.