PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Drive shaft

finka
03-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Before I get ready to install the drive shaft I just want to make sure i have everything figured out. Below are the pictures of each end of the drive shaft.
One side threaded - ( for prop)
One side unthreaded
Could someone explain to me how to install onto the transmission end.
Thanks,

DKJBama92Mariah
03-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Is the boat at this link the one we're talking about now? https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?10424-1987-Supra-Saltare

What is the story with it? Why all this work on an otherwise good looking boat?

I'm just puzzled why it didn't come assembled or with all the parts.

That is an older style single taper driveshaft. The prop goes on the tapered end. A bronze coupler goes on the other end and the coupler bolts to the transmission output flange with four bolts. Do you have the coupler? It's a 4 or 5 inch diameter hunk of bronze with a 1" hole through the center of it. On a single taper driveshaft, the coupler is press fit onto the shaft. From what I understand, they are a PITA to work with.

If that shaft is an unknown to you, I would make for dang sure it isn't bent before installing it into the boat. This isn't something you can eyeball. Take it to a machine shop and have them put it in a lathe and check the runout on it. This should only cost $15-$30. If the runout is .005" (that is five one-thousandths of an inch) or more, the shaft should be scrapped. When I called them several years ago, Supra actually recommended runout no greater than .003", but I''ve run mine with .004" runout for several years without problems or substantial vibration.

Jetlink
03-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Believe that is the boat. Sounds like the previous owner had the rudder and drive line pulled for some reason. I think Andy has been sourcing the parts new though so that is a good start.

DKJBama92Mariah
03-29-2012, 11:53 PM
finka,

I'm going to move this thread to the Service and Repair forum where it belongs.

Also, you've got three driveshaft threads running at the same time. I know it's confusing to me, and it may be confusing to others that are trying to help you as well. In the future you may want to just reply to your currently running thread with additional questions.

docdrs
03-30-2012, 09:03 AM
That is an older style single taper driveshaft. The prop goes on the tapered end. A bronze coupler goes on the other end and the coupler bolts to the transmission output flange with four bolts. Do you have the coupler? It's a 4 or 5 inch diameter hunk of bronze with a 1" hole through the center of it. On a single taper driveshaft, the coupler is press fit onto the shaft. From what I understand, they are a PITA to work with.

If that shaft is an unknown to you, I would make for dang sure it isn't bent before installing it into the boat. This isn't something you can eyeball. Take it to a machine shop and have them put it in a lathe and check the runout on it. This should only cost $15-$30. If the runout is .005" (that is five one-thousandths of an inch) or more, the shaft should be scrapped. When I called them several years ago, Supra actually recommended runout no greater than .003", but I''ve run mine with .004" runout for several years without problems or substantial vibration.

This is some good info from Derek. If you don't have the coupler or the run out is unacceptable, then I would buy a new double tapered shaft as the coupler comes with them and it will be perfectly true. 350 for a new shaft and coupler is a good investment. Then you will have a very strong walking shaft.

DKJBama92Mariah
03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
If you don't have the coupler or the run out is unacceptable, then I would buy a new double tapered shaft as the coupler comes with them and it will be perfectly true. 350 for a new shaft and coupler is a good investment. Then you will have a very strong walking shaft.

This is exactly what I was thinking Doug.

finka,

Does the boat have a strut on it or are you having to source a new one as well. If the strut is on the boat, then you need to make sure it isn't bent also. IMO, the strut is the second most vulnerable piece underneath the boat, the prop being most vulnerable. If the previous owner smacked something hard enough to break the rudder, then I'd look very carefully at the strut.

Again, it would be incredibly helpful to know what the previous owner did to this boat that resulted in all the disassembly.

finka
03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Could anybody walk me thru how to align it?
thanks

docdrs
04-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Could anybody walk me thru how to align it?
thanks

Below is link to alignment, it may seem complicated but it is very easy.

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?10834-Prop-Shaft-Alignment-Yearly-Maintenance-Item