PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lift

finka
03-29-2012, 03:16 PM
So I am looking for a boat lift for an 87 Saltare. I know the boat will weight anywhere from 3200-3400 lbs.
I found a nice lift with canopy, but is rated for only 3,000 lbs. I am going to measure it this weekend, but is there anyway to make it a little stronger or should i just pass on this one?
Thanks,

Jetlink
03-29-2012, 03:44 PM
That lift is not going to handle it in my opinion. Think about all the added weight that you accumulate on the boat with skis/boards, ropes, jackets, tank of gas, beer, beer and more beer. You're already over the capacity of the lift as it is without any of those items mentioned above factored in. I would move on and look for something in the 5K and up rating.

wspeedin
03-29-2012, 04:05 PM
I would advise agaisnt this heavily!! I had a buddy who had a lift and his original boat had no problem. Then he bought a newer Nautique which was over the rated capacity. Needless to say he came out one morning and found his boat was half sunk in the water because the lift broke and punched a hole in the hull. He wont make that mistake again and you should take this as advice to get a lift thats rated for more than 4000 pounds.

DKJBama92Mariah
03-29-2012, 04:20 PM
If it's a floating lift, i probably wouldn't even get the boat all the way out of the water. Your Saltare has gotta be way north of 3k lbs including fuel, gear, and waterlogged foam.

If you're talking about a cable hoist installed in a boathouse, DO NOT over load one. Something will eventually give. I had a cable snap on mine while I was operating the lift; the top part of the broken cable whipped by about 2 inches to the left of my head. I could have very easily lost an eye that day. Luckily the boat made it out unscathed; the cradle just teetered on the remaining 3 cables until i could lower the lift the rest of the way into the water. The builder that originally built the boathouse and installed the lift originally used cable that was too small. After 20 years, it just gave up.

Jetlink
03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Personally, I think I would look at a 7,000 pound capacity. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. A limit is just that, the absolute limit of something before you exceed capabilities and enter the unkown.

crystal waters
03-29-2012, 04:46 PM
I couldn't agree more with Ben!
Not only do you end up with lots of extra gear etc but often when on a lift one or two people may be in the boat as well!
I went with 6000 lb capacity for a 2400 lb boat! Never a problem!
Pass on this lift and keep shopping! You won't regret it!

haugy
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Your Saltare weights in at 3,450lbs. Add the 46 gallons of fuel that's another 276 lbs. Just that alone puts your boat at 3,726lbs......................

on a 3,000lb lift.

This shouldn't be a difficult question. No, it won't hold.

On your boat I would go with a minimum of a 6,000lb lift. Most of the lifts run their numbers off of maximum lift capacity to make them sound stronger. So the day to day operating load is about 15%-20% less than that. Your boat is almost 4,000lbs. With gear and crap it probably will be. So at the minimum, I'd get a 6,000lb lift.

DAFF
03-29-2012, 11:51 PM
When I build and custom create I allways use the 60% rule. Take the given rating and multiply by 60%, this will give you a nice cusion which will make things last better and work properly for a long time.

This equasion can be used from generators to water pumps. Never has let me down.

jet
03-30-2012, 06:34 PM
How about one of these?? 9259

Jetlink
03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
How about one of these?? 9259Classic, might as well opt for a swing set to use as a boat lift if you're going to try using a lift with such an anemic capacity. :D

jet
03-30-2012, 11:36 PM
I had to play that card. Lol

finka
04-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Went and looked at a few boat lifts again.
I have been looking at both Cantilever boat lifts and verticle boat lifts?
I found one that is a Cantilever boat lift. Do any of you guys use these or just the verticle lifts?
Any help would be great.
Thanks,

Jetlink
04-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I would think vertical is the way to go... At least that is the only option I myself would consider for my boat.

finka
04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Attached is a picture of the lift. Granted it is a cantilever style lift but price and capacity is right.
What do you think?

Jetlink
04-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Not sure if this is a legit concern but, I might be worried about the lift "rocking" as you bring the boat out of the water and drop it in. Much why I prefer the vertical lift myself, the center of gravity doesn't shift as you raise and lower the boat.