PDA

View Full Version : To change or not to change transmission oil, also pic of new boat

mabbore
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I picked up this 1987 sunsport with a 351 ford a couple months back and finally got around to changing the oil yesterday. The last owner had it serviced by a local marina that said to not change the transmission oil if nothing was wrong. I know the old wives tale with automotive transmissions (at least automatics) is that if you go too long then you should not change it. I changed the engine oil and will change the impeller this weekend but don’t know what to do about the transmission fluid. Also, pulled the dipstick, fluid looks nice and red, not to dark or black, but it was on a hose so it might not have churned up any gunk. I know the PCM manual says to change it every season.

DAFF
03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd change the oil. Why ??? Yes it is true about changing your fluid and the trans stops working... But 99% of the time it is due to the clutches being so worn the clutch material is actually in the liquid form in the fluid. So the trans is at the very end of its life cycle.

If yours is that worn then it is not sea worthy anyhow. Plus the trans in this era are very inexpensive to fix if it is worn out...

Jetlink
03-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Thread drift/side note, does that trailer look "goofy" to anyone else?

DKJBama92Mariah
03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Thread drift/side note, does that trailer look "goofy" to anyone else?
Very goofy.

The boat's sitting about a foot too high. It looks almost as if someone has taken a bass boat trailer and built the bunks up a foot so the running gear will clear the rearmost trailer crossmember. Closer pics would tell the story. That things gonna have to go waaay down the ramp to get her off there.

Regarding the transmission fluid. It won't hurt anything to change it, probably just isn't a huge need to unless you run a lot of hours. These transmissions don't really dirty up fluid much at all. They probably recommend the yearly intervals based on concerns of moisture contamination of the lube from condensation inside the transmission case. Because the transmission cooler is plumbed into the raw water intake hose before the engine, the fluid probably never gets hot enough to boil off the water.

My transmission fluid has never shown visual signs of water contamination, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't there. I changed mine about 4 or 5 years ago. That fluid had been in the boat since at least 1993, but it may have been the factory fill. The old fluid still appeared fine when I sucked it out. The boat had about 375 hours or so at that point. I did notice that the gear whine wasn't quite as prominent after the change. That may be due to me switching fluids. PCM used to recommend SAE 20w motor oil for fluid but now recommends automotive ATF. I used some brand of synthetic ATF in mine, not sure of the brand, probably Mobil 1 though. Since your fluid is red, it sounds like the shop switched you over to ATF as well.

Is your transmission a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive or a PCM? There should be a plate on the transmission telling you what you've got.
'

mabbore
04-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I think I will just change it. I don't think it is absolutely essential but why not.

The trailer is a roller type and yes your right I have to dip it way in the water to get her off the trailer. Its definitely not factory. We took her out this weekend and were the only ones on the fox lake wake boarding in March! Cold as hell but it was a blast. This is the first time I had her out and the power is amazing. My last boat was a 4cy i/o and this thing blows me away.

docdrs
04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd change it , that way you have a fresh start and know when it was changed last. I also recommend changing the oil and running it at the end of the season just before you put it away. Fresh lube never hurt anything.

Jetlink
04-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Hey Mabbore, you planning on keeping that "Monkey" sticker on the side? I'll keep my eye out for that if you are. I plan on hitting the chain around April 21st or so...

haugy
04-02-2012, 09:27 AM
The trailer is a roller trailer, that's why it's so high. *edit* Ooops you just said that. :D

Boat tranny's are not like automotive. Same rules do not apply. Change it if it's new to you. Then I'd do an actual flush every 2-3 years depending on how much it's used.

mabbore
04-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Hey Mabbore, you planning on keeping that "Monkey" sticker on the side? I'll keep my eye out for that if you are. I plan on hitting the chain around April 21st or so...

I will be dropping the monkey and will probabley be wet sanding the whole hull and putting new decals on it (same colors though). I also have a wake tower as well but it doesnt fit under my shitty one-size-fits-all cover. I really want a custom cover but I just can afford to drop the ~$700 on it yet. Where do you boat around? I keep mine near morain hills park, and launch out of there.

Jetlink
04-02-2012, 11:24 PM
I will be dropping the monkey and will probabley be wet sanding the whole hull and putting new decals on it (same colors though). I also have a wake tower as well but it doesnt fit under my shitty one-size-fits-all cover. I really want a custom cover but I just can afford to drop the ~$700 on it yet. Where do you boat around? I keep mine near morain hills park, and launch out of there.I have been splitting my time between a few places in northern IL. I am sometimes up on the Rock River in Rockford, I have ventured out on the Fox River down in Geneva once with my boat and twice on another members boat. Then there is the chain as well, I am usually riding on the river just north of the Strattford lock or on the sand bar over on Petite Lake. I'll probably be on the chain more this summer though especially if the right house pops up on the market. Give me a shout in a few weeks if you are going out again. Oh yeah, we were dropping in down by Paradise Cove last year but I think we are going to switch back to the marina right off of Rt. 12 that dumps into Pistakee.