PDA

View Full Version : Holley Carb Setup

gizmoe
07-04-2005, 03:19 PM
This question is mainly for you tuners and tinkers.

I have a used 94 TS6M with the 351 PCM engine. Someone before me replaced the carb with a Holley automotive carb. Once I realized that it was an automotive carb I immediately started looking for a marine replacement. I couldn't afford the price of new one so I found a good used Holley marine carb on Ebay. I just rebuilt it and started it up in my driveway without any problems.

My question is what kind of specs should the carb be setup for? It is a model 80551 with #63 jets, a 2.5 power valve, and a white accelerator cam in the #1 position. I'm just wondering what everyone else is running before I take it out on the water since changing jets and power valve on the water is not easy.

Also, is there anything special about the throttle shafts on the marine carb to keep fuel from leaking past them?

BTW - this forum is great source of information. I've learned a lot from keeping up with it and hope to be able to return the favors in the future.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Gizmoe,

As long as the parts you replaced in your rebuild are of the same specs as the origals, and as long as the previous owner didnt meddle with things you should be alright. The best way to know is to just take the boat out and run it.

Here is the link to the holley site for your carb, it has a link to a PDF you can download telling how to adjust a few things. http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=0-80551

If you decide that you want to mess with the settings, marinemechanic.com has a great article on how to tune your carb properly. Here is that link: http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page120.html

I'll look into it a little more and see if i can find out what the stock specs for the carb were and what particular application it is for.

As far as the throttle shafts are concerned, im not sure. This one is a USCG approved carb so its reasonably certain that the shafts wont leak.

Good luck.

Cheers,
DKJ

DKJBama92Mariah
07-05-2005, 01:56 AM
OK, the carb you have is a Universal marine 4160. It is not specifically calibrated for the 351. The part # for the one calibrated for the 351 is 80319-1. Here is a link to the holley pdf that lists the the different specs for all the carbs, inclding these two. http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Carb%20Numerical%20Listing.pdf

This isnt to say that you must change these parts to the ones like in the 80319, it can just be used as a set of guidelines if the boat runs poorly. You can cross reference the part numbers in this pdf to the listings on the holley website to see what the differences are.

Cheers,
DKJ

gizmoe
07-06-2005, 08:34 PM
DKJ,

Thanks for the good info, especially the link to marinemechanic.com. I was hoping to find out what carb specs others are running but I realize that is very specialized. The automotive carb that was on it when I bought it was a univeral carb as well. I don't think that the previous owner had set it up like stock. I've always thought the boat ran a little rich based on the look of the plugs and the soot around the transom. Armed with the tuning advise from marinemechanic.com I should be able to setup my carb pretty easily. I might also keep looking on Ebay for a 351 PCM specific carb instead of the universal that I have. Thanks again.