PDA

View Full Version : Alternator rotation

chautauquasun
04-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I am in the process of upgrading my boat to a two battery system and am also upgrading my alternator to a 140 amp marine alternator from DB Electrical. I was ready to order when I noticed it is a clockwise rotation. Is that the correct rotation for a 1984 PCM 351w engine? I have been running the stock motorola 37 amp. I am now second guessing myself. Can anyone set me straight so I can order it?

thanks
Dan

Nobodyrides4Free
04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Not sure on rotation! Your the only other person beside myself that I ve heard putting a bigger amp Alernator in there boat. Had mine built for $180. What do they charge at DB? My guy messed up on bolt demensions, taking back to him Monday at lunch , I can ask him for you about rotation. Mine is 110 amp. Already have double batteries, just want to get alternator amped up like you.

chautauquasun
04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I am just in the process of upgrading to a two battery system. I found a marine alternator on the DB electrical site www.dbelectrical.com. Its a 140 amp for $139.00. No core charge and free shipping. I have used these guys in the past and they quality parts and great service. I bought a high output starter from them. It was cheap and it works very well. I am going on three years with it and no problem. So I am not concerned about the alternator. It is a Delco made part. DB electrical recommend it for running two batteries. Just not sure which rotation i need. I am sure they can answer my question tomorrow, but thought I would take a crack at it on here.

michael hunter
04-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I have never heard of an alternator being directional . They will work the same in either direction.

EDGE
04-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Which alternator are you getting? I just put two batteries in my 84' rider. Can you post a link?

Nobodyrides4Free
04-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Yea the Shop that does mine said they will charge either rotation. The reason they ask direction is in case there is a cooling blade on front.

chautauquasun I found a marine alternator on the DB electrical site www.dbelectrical.com. Its a 140 amp for $139.00. No core charge and free shipping.
Wish I would have gotten a hold of DB before I bought mine. The guy is good but he is so dis organized with getting your stuff back to you. OH well....

chautauquasun
04-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys. I thought that it didnt matter, but when I saw CW in the site it made me start to second guess myself. I am going to order it tonight. Here is the link for the alternator I am buying from DB. http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-3715-new-delco-marine-alternator-mercruiser-3-wire-140-amp-ho-adr0106-10si.aspx I had very good luck with DB electrical. I bought a starter from them 3 years ago and it has worked very well. They have great service and technical support. Let me know if you have any problems accessing the link. Thanks again.
Dan