PDA

View Full Version : Dock building 101

MESupra
04-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Alrightly, seems like there are many knowledgeable folks kicking around the Supra site and very willing to help. Heres my issue, moved to the lake last year, ended up using a rather crappy 4 posted dock that was not long enough to even park the boat. We ended up putting in a Helix mooring and used a canoe to retrieve the Supra SunSport as needed.

Basically we need a new dock system. The frontage is a sandy bottom (beech) that tapers off at about 1' of depth for every 5' of distance. Should I build a floater using blue barrels? A stationary? What materials, what configuration (dimensions) etc.

Maine winters can be pretty hash and I do need to plan on removing the dock every fall, ease of removal is important. I don't mind spending a little cash to come up with a system that works however we are having a good portion of the boat upholstery redone ($1000-1800) and plan on about $500 worth of mechanical improvements as well. With that being said I really like the idea of using cheap blue plastic barrels as a starting point.

Anyway please let me know, or even better show me what I should do.

Thanks!!

wotan2525
04-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Here in MN we have 10,000 lakes. That means we must have 100,000+ docks, right? The only ones I've ever dealt with that seem worth their weight are Floe. Docks really strike me as one of those things where you must get what you pay for, and I have to assume that Floe cost 3x more than any other brand. I've dealt with plenty of home-made or "custom" docks and they always end up falling apart or being a torture to take in and out.

I've never done business with Floe and have no interest in them outside of recommending them as a product that works. Check out their website. I know they are made in MN but maybe they have distribution near you and the prices aren't as ridiculous as I make them out to be. (Truth be told... I have no idea what a dock costs... Floe or otherwise.)

http://www.floeintl.com/default.asp

crystal waters
04-04-2012, 12:45 PM
have some "dockstands" welded up. Basically they are rectangular shaped with a vertical metal pipe on each side in which a smaller diameter metal pipe slides up and down inside to compensate for the depth you place each stand at. You drill holes every 6 inches through both pipes and insert a large nail to maintain the chosen holes and height. Across the top and near the bottom you weld the same larger pipe horizontally for stability ( you now have a rectangle of sorts). Then take some angle iron ( " L" shaped ) about 3 feet long --4 pieces --two for the top and two for the bottom . Weld in place so centered at right angles to the top of the larger pipe and to the bottom of the smaller sleeve pipe. The "L" shape facing upwards at the top and downwards at the bottom.
You build your pier sections out of 2 x 6 runners that rest on the top angle iron.
You take your pier stands and place them in the water on the lake bottom so the Angle iron at bottom bites into the sand--you float your pier sections out and lift them onto the pier stand such that the 2 x 6 runners rests on the top angle iron. pier won"t move!!!
You can place your pier each year in about 15 minutes and remove in same time --including the pier stands.
You float your pier sections to the shore and with a buddy or a good wife carry and stack them above the high water line.
Used this method for over 25 years --works like a charm
Hope my description made sense!

KO21v
04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
This is the people that I use. http://www.wekindustries.com/dock-floats.aspx Great company/Awesome product. The floaters I build can be pulled out of the lake fairly easy with a 4wheeler or truck.

docdrs
04-04-2012, 08:42 PM
How deep is the water and is there a current where you are planning it to be?

jzelt
04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Many around here use an old pontoon boat deck. Just remove side rails and all.

MESupra
04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
There is no current, the water tapers off at a depth of about 1' for 5' of distance from shore (shallow). We are on the north end and receive a consistent 5-10mph breeze, natures AC. I like the idea that Crystal Waters mentioned about building the stands, however I am unsure if stands or blue barrels (floating dock) would provide a better docking surface. The idea of solid appeals as it is easier to walk on etc. and the boat spends the majority of its time on the mooring.

crystal waters
04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
stands remain solid when docking as long as angle iron bites into the sand bottom. You will find over the season that the sand bottom actually ends up covering the angle iron to some degree. I put those horizontal docking bumpers along the dock edge for docking.

docdrs
04-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Can you build a permanent crib dock?

MESupra
04-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I have not looked into a crib style dock, I am guess no since there is not a single crib style dock on the pond. How much do you estimate it would cost to build a dock stand?

mapleleaf
04-07-2012, 10:12 PM
I would think about contacting the local boat dealers and marinas, we managed to get some used matching Shorestation dock a few yrs back to lengthen our dock when I bought my Supra, it was an economical route and oddly enough its the "fixed" kind Crystal was talking about. It has been amazing as our lake stays shallow a few hundred feet off shore...It could still be longer mind you.....

Jetlink
04-08-2012, 04:03 PM
I would think about contacting the local boat dealers and marinas, we managed to get some used matching Shorestation dock a few yrs back to lengthen our dock when I bought my Supra, it was an economical route and oddly enough its the "fixed" kind Crystal was talking about. It has been amazing as our lake stays shallow a few hundred feet off shore...It could still be longer mind you.....Yeah, to get you out past the mussels...damn I hate those suckers!!!

mapleleaf
04-08-2012, 08:14 PM
so tough when the lakes that good eh? lol

docdrs
04-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Crib docks properly built will last 30+years. They are easy to build and as long as there is not a current will last. Plus contrary to the green boys they provide good hiding and spawning for fish

cadunkle
04-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Here's a few pictures of ours on a lake in southern Maine. Built 2-3 years ago. I would have built it bigger and differently but it's a relative's place so done within what they expected and liked.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/cadunkle/Maine%202011/P1020591.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/cadunkle/Maine%202011/P1020649.jpg

The deck is built in sections that drop in to the framing. The frame is 3 pieces (walkway, left section, right section). Sits on the poles you see which are driven shallow into the sandy bottom with the use of large feet that clamp on the poles and provide stability. Easier than driving them deep as we used to. Overall it's a decent dock. Tight for the Saltare though, barely fits.

If I were to do it again, to my specs (as the next dock will likely be) it would be longer to be in deeper water, be U shaped with a covered slip, large sitting area on one side of the slip and smaller finger on the other side, with room to tie up additional boats on each side. Not sure if I would go floating or solid. Either way I would try to keep a modular design as we did this time, so it's less weight to haul out of the water (our property has a very steep hill we have to drag the dock up before winter).

Out of curiosity where in Maine are you at?

MESupra
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I am located in Monmouth ME. Cochnewagon lake to be exact. Where exactly are you located?

In my search for the ultimate dock system I have come across http://rollingbarge.com/ Really neat design IMO. I have priced the 8x16 kit out at around 1,500 w/ free shipping but before the barrels and decking. Rough estimate with cedar and barrels at just under $2k.

Do you think I could build something cheaper? But still remain light enough to manage?

I would also need a ramp and have almost convinced myself to purchase a 24"x24' contractors staging plank for whatever dock system we need to get us out to a proper depth.

cadunkle
04-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Oh wow that's not far at all, I'm on Thompson Lake at the north end. We're practically neighbors... Kind of. lol

Those docks look nice, but $2k sounds pricey. On ours we used whatever fancy less polluting type of treated wood the allow for docks these days. We did reuse some of the poles from the last dock but mostly new stuff. Overall I believe we're under $1k as you see it. I forget exact size but I want to say the main dock section is either 12'x16' or 12x14 and the walkway is 12'x4'... So total length on the long size I use for the Saltare is 24', a tight fit!

I'm sure a floating dock will cost more for the floatation materials, and depending on size and amount of floatation you amy end up having to be careful with too many people on the dock not to all stand too close together. If water level doesn't fluctuate too much on your lake poles may end up cheaper and definitely studier to walk on. I don't find it a pain to adjust the poles. I can lift or lower it myself if there are large water level fluctuations just by working around the dock once or twice, but having a second person helps.

Either way, it you make the dock modular it should be manageable to get out of the water. Depends on what sort of ground you're pulling it onto and also if you can use a come-along or winch to pull it up that helps if you're stuck doing the job alone.

DAFF
04-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Cadunkle, your u shaped landing area is perfect for anyone in a non current area. Even when there is a current then a u shaped boat lift would be optium. Most of all do your homework and look around various inland lakes to see what others are doing. If you see one which catches your eye perhaps the owners might be out so you can get there feed back.

MESupra
04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Thompson Lake is just a short distance from Monmouth, I have poured many foundations around that lake so I understand what you mean when you say HILL. We should have a Maine Supra GTG sometime.

After pricing out and adding up a dock made from cedar decking PT framing and decent hardware I keep coming up with around 1k worth of materials. The part that I struggle with is that when complete I have a dock that is not exactly easy to manage with just the wife (5' nothing, 115lbs) and I (very weak), made of wood and fasteners that might be trouble free for less than 10yrs.

Or spend an extra 1k and have a aluminum type setup that should be trouble free for most of my life and easy to manage with just the wife and I. I hate spending money, but if it makes my life easier and I end up saving in the long wrong its much easier.

Do you surf at all behind the salitare?

cadunkle
04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I think with the dock it comes down to how long you want it to last. If you go more aluminum ($$$) for lighter and easier removal, be sure it's the size and shape you want as you'll have it a long time. Also consider aluminum will get a lot hotter in the sun, whether that's a problem depends on intended use.

Yeah, it's not fun whenever we have to drag anything up the hill! A come-along helps. I'll be on Thompson July 1-15 so I'd be happy to meet up around then. Let me know and we can figure something out for either my place or yours. I wonder if there are any other Supra owners around there? I know I've never seen another Supra on Thompson, but have seen a few older MC and Nautiques... and two newer Moombas.

I've tried surfing when I only had 520 lbs but the wave was small. I now have 1320 lbs but haven't surfed with that weight yet, only kneeboard and wakeboard. I expect it'll be a lot better for surfing with this weight but it's a big boat so probably could use some more to be ideal.

MESupra
04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Meeting up would be great, I would like to check out your set-up as well, I hope to add some ballast next year. Between painting the house, new dock, partial interior, bunch of mechanical work to the sunsport my funds are going to disappear quickly.

I came across this today at lunch, let me know what you think.

http://www.boatliftanddock.com/p-629-max-crossarm-assembly.aspx

cadunkle
04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Those look like some sturdy supports. I'm no expert but I doubt if you'd be disappointed with them. For our dock we just used regular galvanized pipe brackets with an L that sits under the framing, and just through-bolted them into the framing. Most of these were scavenged from the old dock and were fine even after 10-15 years on that dock. They're adequate and I have no complaints.

Check your private messages...