PDA

View Full Version : Temp Gauge out....or it the Thermostat?

suprasam
04-04-2012, 09:48 AM
So last weekend was the first weekend I had my boat on the water(ran great). The gauge seemed to be working when I was at the dock, but I looked down about mid-day and noticed it was dead. I opened the dog house to make sure the motor hadn't over heated and even after a run on the water it was good and didn't seem hot at all. So I am thinking that the gauge is out. Since I am going to go ahead an buy a gauge would it be good to go ahead and buy a new thermostat for the motor? How hard is it to replace a thermostat? I have an 86 Sunsport - 351 PCM. Thanks for any help!

Salty87
04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
you can test to see if it's the gauge or the temp sender. disconnect the wire at the sender. ground the wire to the block, if the gauge moves your sender is bad. the sender is easy to replace.

the thermostat regulates engine temp but doesn't do anything for the temp gauge.

wotan2525
04-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Thermostat is a 10 minute job. Good thing to test/replace anyway. Once you pull it... drop it in a pan of boiling water and see if it opens.

suprasam
04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the quick help guys. I'm at work, so looking for part #s on the boat or in the manual isn't going to happen right now. Do you goes know which ones to buy (thermostat, sender) I know I might not need both, but I like to do a little shopping before I buy and also save my ass from getting yelled at when I buy something online expensive without telling my wife. It seems she wasn't to happy about the new big ol Magna Grill and side mounts I bought last weekend. But hey a man has gotta eat a steak or burger after a hard day on the lake!
Here is what I found, does this look right?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP026002

lively
04-04-2012, 12:09 PM
you dont have to buy from skidim to get a T-stat or the sender ... my boat is a 86 with a 1984 ford windsor (351) as well .. just take it off and run up to orilleys auto parts or
any local parts dealer and tel them what you need ... trust me ( marine) prices are a PAIN ... but this stuff you can get (down the street) , if you are unsure of what year your engine is the block numbers are on the lower end LEFT side looking at the engine ... im pretty sure you have the same year ..

Salty87
04-04-2012, 02:02 PM
very true but you might bring your old parts with you so you can compare. save you trips back and forth if you end up with something that's not quite right.

suprasam
04-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Im sure I will definitly take the parts up there with me, I know my luck and if I went without them I would end up buying something like a part for my A/C unit. Thanks and hopefully I can get those off tonight, and grab news before the weekend.

lively
04-04-2012, 04:37 PM
call me if you have problems 817 996 3051 -kyle-

suprasam
04-16-2012, 11:40 AM
How do I know what temp thermostat to get? Should I get the 140 or 160? I didn't replace last week, and I plan on doing it tonight but haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know which to get. Thanks for any help.

kvand347
04-16-2012, 01:14 PM
160* Thermostat. Boat runs best with a warmer thermostat.

jet
04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Be sure and check the connections + -, lots of times it could be as simple as the wires are corroded with these old boats.

suprasam
04-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the connections. I will double ck everything tonight, possibly tomorrow depending on how long my sons game is tonight in little league. Although I just realised I didn't pick up a gasket, so more than likely i won't finish until tomorrow now that i forgot the FREAKIN gasket. Oh well.....Thx for the help!

wiatowski
04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
just use high temp silicone.

suprasam
04-17-2012, 06:53 PM
9503Can you tell I'm a rookie working on a motor? Is my thermostat under this? If I take this portion up where three hoses is it suppose to b under there?

Jetlink
04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Oh come on, you mean that you didn't pay attention as to which "cup" they hid the thermostat under before they started the game? :D

suprasam
04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Hmmm Jet, here is a beer and a middle finger for you. Ha I'm dieing here, sinking ship....heeeellllp

Jetlink
04-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Sorry man, it's finals week for me and I am on week three of this huge term paper on the finer aspects of aerodynamics and I can't even mess around with my boat until maybe Saturday. The thermostat should be in that "T" housing. Follow the flow of water from the water pump and it should be under that next part I think.

Should be in that housing under the "T" now that I think about it.

suprasam
04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
95099508Ben, well....all I can say is good luck with the finals. Ha sucker! Ok well if its suppose to be under that I am screwed. There isn't one under there, the odd thing is the gauge would work. Wow something is messed up here. The other issue I have I don't know which way is up on this FREAKIN thermostat. I'm going to take picture again and make sure I'm in the right area. So which picture is the correct way, 1 or 2?

Jetlink
04-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Here you go...

Oh, and thanks for the good luck...gonna need it. Trying to sound coherent in wrapping up a 25 page paper is tough...

ddb0
04-18-2012, 01:35 AM
well if there was no theromstat in ther you can rule that out as your problem i have removed them in the past in a pinch when they fail un expectedly. but better to have one in there then not

jet
04-18-2012, 10:57 AM
man that engine needs some lovin. : ( You need to open the engine cover after every days use till it cools off so you can let that humid moist HOT air out and it wont rust your engine like that.

suprasam
04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Jet....your telling me nothing I don't already know. I am riding her, and slowly doing things one at a time to get her back to a clean boat. Its a slow process (many reasons), but I will have it done at some point......not putting dates out, cause I already know I wont make it.

jet
04-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I know man, Im under the some kind of time line. lol