PDA

View Full Version : Engine overheated

SkiLew
07-05-2005, 08:18 AM
This weekend my 1993 PCM engine ran hot in my boat. The water hose from the water intake came loose. Thus no cooling water to the engine. I discovered this shortly after I launched the boat at the local ramp. Normally I would have been watching my temperature gauge but the boat ramp was busy. So human error played a part in this.

When I finally looked at my temperature gauge it was reading about 240°F. I immediately shut off the engine let it cool to about 175°F reattached the water hose and cranked the engine back up. No apparent problem.

How do I know if I damaged my engine?

What should I do after engine has run hot i.e., change engine oil or transmission oil?

99 LAUNCH
07-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Change the oil first and look for water in the oil. After changing the oil let it run and bring motor to regular temp. Then let motor cool and change oil again and look for water. Check you're exhaust tube's for blistering inside and out.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-06-2005, 02:18 AM
I agree with everything 99LAUNCh said. Just want to add one thing. If the engine starts acting up, my first guess would be a blown head gasket. This is about the most common problem resultiing from overheating. If you suspect this, get a cylinder leakdown test. Any decent mechanic should be able to do it, or you can but a leak-down tester at a car parts store like autozone. However, this tester does require that you have an air compressor.

Good luck and hope you dont have any problems out of this.

Cheers,
DKJ