PDA

View Full Version : Need to purchase a bimini

TitanTn
04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
I need to get one fairly soon, but I don't know much about them. I tend to guess that Sunbrella is the best, but I don't know if there are comparable options to that brand, or if even the polyester biminis are fine. I want something that is better than okay, but not awesome (cause I don't like the prices that typically come with awesome). I don't know if I should be working to find something to mount to my tower, or if I should just get the typical bimini that mounts to your gunwale. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Here is something I found that looks like a good deal, but who knows.

http://www.discountbiminitops.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CC-3087P

DAFF
04-06-2012, 09:50 AM
The mounting design an the above is a liitle to be desired. Looks too forced and out of place too me. Try this site...www.TowerBiminis.com. Not sure on the cost difference but a much higher quality product.

Salty87
04-06-2012, 10:06 AM
you most likely want it to mount to the tower. cleaner look, not as many straps to mess with. do you want one that rolls up? there's also the trampoline style where you remove it and store at home. pro's and con's to all of them.

i have the trampoline style. in TX, it's always on the boat from about May til Sep or Oct. otherwise, it's in storage at home. i'm 6'3" and don't want a rolled up bimini stored under the tower all of the time.

TitanTn
04-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Yep. This is the kind of feedback I need. Thanks for the link Daff. I don't know the cost difference either because their web site quote tool isn't working. I may give them a call.

Salty - I think I know what you mean by the trampoline style, and if I do, I'd prefer to NOT get that style. I'm looking for what I would call a traditional, slightly arched style. I've attached a photo of something I'm thinking of. I'm 6', so I'm not sure how that plays into dodging a bimini when it's in the open or closed position. I've owned many boats before, but this is my first ski boat and I'm just not sure what issues I'll run into when comparing different mounting styles, locations, or overall bimini style.

foxriverat
04-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Check out ebay. You can sometimes find some good ones. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIMINI-TOPS-FOR-BOATS-WITH-TOWERS-SUNBRELLA-MATERIAL-/330701362626?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4cff5655c2&vxp=mtr

Salty87
04-06-2012, 01:18 PM
pic of mine from too long ago
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/thewholecrewcomingin.jpg?t=1241804005

haugy
04-06-2012, 03:42 PM
TNTitan, I'm getting a bimini from TowerBiminis. It's definitely on the high side on price compared to something you could buy from overtons and rig up on your tower. But so far, I've been real impressed with how they have worked with me. Great info on the emails, phone calls, very friendly and informative. I was on the phone with them last night confirming my order.

I used to have a Supra bimini from a 21V on my old Mariah. I bolted it to the first cross bar on my tower. Worked great! But I've found out that Supra has upped the price of their biminis. It only cost me a little bit more to go with Tower Biminis. And their bimini is custom made for my tower and boat. And is hard mounted with no straps.

The biggest thing for me was a good solid mounted bimini that wasn't flimsy. The straps on my old one would slap the fiberglass or pop in the wind under way and that drove me insane.

Once I get the Tower Bimini in (beginning of May) I will post up a full write up on it.

ditchsnake
04-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I sold the bimini that came stock on my 22ssv and had a custom one made in a cover shop. He charged me 600. Made out of sunbrella and was way larger than the factory one. I am very pleased with it. Don't know if that helps any

TitanTn
04-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys. Still researching. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'd like to get something ordered soon.

jet
04-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Salty, I like yours. Smooth tight and little, it looks GREAT! The bimini looks good too! lol

michael hunter
04-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Tower Bimini is the best IMO I have one on my 08 . I bought a closeout on IBoat for my 89 it took some modification to make it fit and has to be removed to trailer it . Its OK for me because I never have to take it down . Cost was 119.00 with mods I have about 160.00 in it.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/Picture008-1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/Picture009.jpg

TitanTn
04-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Michael - thanks for those extra pics. I've about decided to do something like what you've done. I read your original bimini post, but these closer pics will help. I like the Tower Bimini ones, but I'm not going to be paying almost $1,000 for a bimini.

Still have the boat registered in IL? You've been in GA a while now haven't you?

michael hunter
04-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Oops you caught that. The Supra is good until 2013 . I had to get GA registration for the 08 this year . GA has a yearly Ad Valorem tax I expect it will be 400 per year cant wait to get my first bill.

TitanTn
04-08-2012, 04:36 PM
I knew they had Ad Valorem on cars, but I didn't know it went to boats too. That's awful.

DAFF
04-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Is there any biminis which could double as protection from the rain?? Perhaps a 4 bow that could drop down and rotate forward during a storm. Nothng worse than getting caught 30min from home in a thunderstorm...