PDA

View Full Version : velvet drive not going in reverse???

rlhahn
04-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I removed the shift cable so I could try shifting by hand. When I put it in forward it engages fine, then I go to neutral and that's fine, then reverse...nothing but a small drip of transmission fluid coming out around brass button. Any help here would be great.

lively
04-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Look at the back of the trans , see the two Allen head plugs going into the case ?
Now the big one is the main pressure and the small is reverse .. Should get over 40 lbs at that port .. Witch u saying forward is Working then ur front pump is pumping good , but the valve body could be caput ..
Most the time it will be just the clutch plates that are worn down and the springs that hold the pressure plate to activate the
Friction plates don't have but a 1/8 " of compression to hold that kind of pressure required to make the plates stick ...

I ran my boat I'n reverse into a sand bank and it broke my plates and shredded my springs .. Best case I would check the fluid for bronze shavings .. The tel tel sign of the plate going caput .. But if u check Ur pressure first at the port I described this will tell You either bad plates or bad pressure .... Good luck

rlhahn
04-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Look at the back of the trans , see the two Allen head plugs going into the case ?
Now the big one is the main pressure and the small is reverse .. Should get over 40 lbs at that port .. Witch u saying forward is Working then ur front pump is pumping good , but the valve body could be caput ..
Most the time it will be just the clutch plates that are worn down and the springs that hold the pressure plate to activate the
Friction plates don't have but a 1/8 " of compression to hold that kind of pressure required to make the plates stick ...

I ran my boat I'n reverse into a sand bank and it broke my plates and shredded my springs .. Best case I would check the fluid for bronze shavings .. The tel tel sign of the plate going caput .. But if u check Ur pressure first at the port I described this will tell You either bad plates or bad pressure .... Good luck

Thx Lively! I'll be working on it this weekend. I will post some pictures on my thread (going the distance)

csuggs
04-17-2012, 09:30 AM
I removed the shift cable so I could try shifting by hand. When I put it in forward it engages fine, then I go to neutral and that's fine, then reverse...nothing but a small drip of transmission fluid coming out around brass button. Any help here would be great.

Is that fluid coming out the vent then? Before you tear into it, why don't you call this guy- he's a Velvet Drive guru in Cleveland - has helped me out in the past. Eric Lavine 330-322-8817

Clint

rlhahn
04-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Is that fluid coming out the vent then? Before you tear into it, why don't you call this guy- he's a Velvet Drive guru in Cleveland - has helped me out in the past. Eric Lavine 330-322-8817

Clint Thanks, I'll give him a ring. I sure hope it's something simple. This will be the third time I've had the motor out...that's more times than I've had her in the water...ARRRGH.