PDA

View Full Version : Got my engine, a rebuild thread!

edgewater1
04-07-2012, 03:52 PM
So, replace my 351w reverse rotation, y engine came in yesterday and i started breaking down the old 351w, some pics o start it off. I have plenty of questions later.

VR,

EDGE

edgewater1
04-08-2012, 09:38 AM
So, I'm trying to figure out what kind of ignition i want on the supra, the old engine had a protec ignition which is broken. I want to go back to a simple electronic ignition system. Any ideas? What should i do about wiring? I was thinking about buying a wiring harness from skidim? Any experience with this....

86 century
04-08-2012, 08:44 PM
There is always a points style with a convertion.

Thats what will go in mine when what ever is there now fails.

cadunkle
04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Did any Supra use a reverse rotation engine? I didn't think they did.

edgewater1
04-09-2012, 04:33 PM
I talked to skidim, because i wasnt able to look at the boat but i checked it and it as far as i could tell was reverse, it has the 1.23:1 rotation which a reverse tranny.

cadunkle
04-09-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly certain that the 1.23:1 Velvet Drive spins the output shaft the opposite direction of the input shaft. I believe Supra always used Standard rotation engines. This is why a 351w powered Supra with a 1:1 trans would be a LH rotation prop and a 1.23:1 in same boat with 351w would be a RH rotation prop.

So basically, if I'm correct (I'm not 100% sure, but I'm someone else will confirm) you will need to convert your 351w reverse rotation motor to a standard rotation. Basically this is just cam and crank. You'd be replacing the cam anyhow so no big deal. The crank has knurling on the rear main seal surface which will blow oil out the back if you run it opposite the rotation it's meant for, and the chamfer on the main and rod journals may not be done to work nicely in standard rotation. That's easy to fix, but you can't really fix the knurling for the rear main. So new cam and crank and you should be golden. Of course starter too, but you were probably planning on getting a new one anyway.

86 century
04-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I thought I read somwhere on here that the trany can be set up to run either direction.

Just throughing that out there maybe cheeper than replacing a bunch of parts.

lively
04-09-2012, 10:35 PM
well in the manual for the velvet drive 100/17/004 1:1 the front pump can be mounted for a clockwise or counter clockwise rotation ... thus is why its so important to mark
when you rebuild these for the rotation of the engine it will be connected too ... i would call some velvet drive rebuild shops and ask them if this can be achieved!!

jet
04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Cadunkle I think your right. I have the LH rotation and Its the velvet drive that reverses the rotation but the engine stays the same..Right?

what is the 1:1 power plus do?? I cant remember?