PDA

View Full Version : how good is this deal? 1984 sunsport 1061 hrs. 5k?

paverman
04-08-2012, 09:38 AM
owner claimes to have had it since 1986, and that the gunnels were replaced by Supra on a recall in the early 90's. boats interior is in decent condition and the teak is there but has not had any oil or any tlc in a long time. The hull has some discoloration from sitting in the slip at his lake house but might come off with some cleaner and a little wet sanding. Owner said there is a minor leak from the main shaft where it exits the hull but 'it swells shut when in the water", not sure I'm buying that story and assume it needs to be replaced. Floors seem solid and so do the seats.

Thoughts? What should I be looking out for on a 26 year old Supra with over 1000 hours on it?

paverman
04-08-2012, 10:38 AM
here is a picture I snapped. Going back to see it again out of the garage latter this week. There was to much stuff to move to take it out while I was there yesterday. 9349

paverman
04-08-2012, 04:23 PM
owner claimes to have had it since 1986, and that the gunnels were replaced by Supra on a recall in the early 90's. boats interior is in decent condition and the teak is there but has not had any oil or any tlc in a long time. The hull has some discoloration from sitting in the slip at his lake house but might come off with some cleaner and a little wet sanding. Owner said there is a minor leak from the main shaft where it exits the hull but 'it swells shut when in the water", not sure I'm buying that story and assume it needs to be replaced. Floors seem solid and so do the seats.

Thoughts? What should I be looking out for on a 26 year old Supra with over 1000 hours on it?

I was hoping for some feedback, What does one of these normally go for? I am a newby to the world of comp boats....

DAFF
04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
The Supra boats are great and the design for this era was very advanced. The only bad thing was the stringer rot and how the floation foam would aid in the rotting of the boat from the inside out. Typicially the issue lied in the super trap exhaust sytem on the rear transom of the boat. Water would wick into the foam making it waterloged and rot the stringers and floor.

So the millon dollar question is... How are the stringers in this boat??? Chances from looking at the water marks on the bottom side. I would think weak if not completly rotten. The boat might of had them replaced in the past but more than likely not. As for price it is not bad for a solid stringer boat but if the floor or stringers seem tough or another tell tale sign is brown oosing from cracks in the stringers I would say away. Anything can be fixed but it will cost about 3500-6000 depending on the overall condition.

Keep in mind sometimes it is better to buy something for a little more today so you have to spend less tomorrow.

EDGE
04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I have a 1984. It's a "Rider" not a "Sunsport" that year. Sounds like $5k is the top of the price range for that boat. I wouldn't pay over $4k for that boat the way you described. You need to check the the lag bolts at the engine mount to see it they tighten up or just spin. The wood stringers in these boat rot over time and have to be replaced ($3K job). Search this sight for info on that. There' s tons of it.

Its a fun open bow boat.

Most of the things I replaced on my boat were electrical so far. New blower, bildge pump, fuse block, add a second battery, new radio, new switches, lights, and some wiring. All of witch had corroded over the years.

Take it out on the water before you buy it!

$3000 - $4000 is a fair price for that boat in the condition you described

paverman
04-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will be putting these pointers to practice this week when I take a closer look at the overall condition of the stringers and floors. I am assuming that there might be some tell signs around the exhaust ports also? I will be putting some tourque on the engine mount bolts and requesting to do a core test of the rear of the stringers.

Thanks for the advice.

paverman
04-08-2012, 09:48 PM
yes, its in North GA. I've been reading on the board about the stringers and the leaks from the exhaust ports, he never mentioned having the ports resealed so i am betting that they are leaking.

paverman
04-08-2012, 10:06 PM
one other thought/question... when I gave it the quick once over yesterday I noticed that the stringers looked like they are fiberglass and not wood, I am assuming that they are wood covered in fiberglass and that there is no way that the boat has fiberglass stringers installed by supra during a factory recall? And to that point, did Supra ever recall the '84 and rebuilt the stringers under a warranty claim??? That part of the owners story kinda strikes me funny. sound like with all the stringer issues on the board that Supra would go broke if they recalled the boats for stringer rot...

DAFF
04-08-2012, 11:32 PM
^^^ Great words of advice. I would continue the hunt. :)

paverman
04-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks ngavdba and Edge and DAFF, I am going to complete my inspection this week on the 84 but am sure i will find the weekend wood and very likely rot. ngavdba the boat is on the Acworth side of Lake Allatoona near Bartow Carver Rec area at a lake side cabin a friend of mine is renting. The boat has seen a lot of time in the private covered slip and many years on the trailer in the garage. Does anyone know of a decent bow rider in the area that might not be so rotten? I need the extra space for our family and disabled daughter who loves boating.

Thanks again. I will report back after "poking" around this week at the '84

suprasam
04-09-2012, 10:49 AM
paverman, I have an 86 Sunsport its a good all around boat. I live in Cartersville, so not far from where this boat is. My only complaint about this boat is that I wish the V was deeper. On Allatoona, the wakes can get big depending on where your at and this boat type doesn't cut the wake much at all. So if you have family in the bow, they are going to feel it pound. Good luck on your search!

foxriverat
04-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Found this. It is a bit of a drive from you. Says new stringers. And around the price you were looking at. http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2945738722.html

paverman
04-09-2012, 11:18 PM
long term I would have two boats, one for water sports for my son and a 22' or 24' VP Manitou tritoon for the family cruiser with roll on access for her wheel chair. For the short term, aka next few years, I plan on fixing a large car seat into the rear bench of the comp boat for her to ride in assuming that the rear is the smoothest place to ride. I would expect to see our 5 year old daughter and 11 year old son in the bow, they really enjoy riding the bronco as our 17' bow rider runs the lake the last five seasons.

ngavdba, I thought that Mastercraft used wood stringers up through '94? Maybe I was wrong about it, what year did the Maristar start wtih the composite stringers, Supra didn't switch till mid 92 correct? I may take you up on the ride when you get the '86 ready for a test run.

paverman
04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
How far north if you don't mind me asking?
Your assumption is correct. Wood over fiberglass. No recall that I ever heard about.

Let's see...with mine the floor had partial stringer repair and new floor after 12 years. Muffler Trapps rusted off few years later which leaked. Swim deck supports rotten after 18 years which leaked. Compete stringer repair after 26 years as it was completely rotten through and through. New rudder after 28 years as it leaked. Mine is trailered and never sat in the water constantly. That is Supra for you and can't believe this boat would be any different. Not trying to scare you but prepare you.

Here are some pictures from my on shore inspection today. Looks great from 20 feet. The lag bolts on the engine mounts can be turned with less effort that I would have expected but didnt spin freely The swim deck didnt flex much but it wasnt "rigid", how much flex in the swim deck is normal or should it have been completely rigid and had no flex in the transom. . 94269427942894299430

paverman
04-11-2012, 07:20 PM

paverman
04-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Suprasam, I am just south of you in Acworth and normally put in at Block House. I'm betting we have passed wakes once or twice over the past years. I am about to pass on the 84 rider I have been talking about thanks to advice from folks like your self, ngavdba, Edge and DAFF. Its to far gone and the price is sticking way to high to allow me to do a resto on the stringers that I am almost certain are weak or all together rotten. If I could pick it up for less than 2k I would take on the project, but I am pretty sure the owner thinks its a perfect boat, to bad he forgot about it for the last 4 years while it sat wet in the garage.

suprasam
04-12-2012, 09:37 AM
paverman, good luck on finding a good boat. I think your doing the right thing by passing this one up. We put our boat in over at Allatoona landing, and usually hang out near Flamingo Cove. Its not over crowded there most of the time and is a little more family oriented also. If your ever in the area stop by, I will be in the Sunsport with Navy accents....usually have a grill going and a huge tube island tied up to the boat and another boat (century) tied up an relaxing enjoying the sun! Good luck with the boat search let us know what you end up.

paverman
04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
I've done one stringer job a few years ago and dont want to do it again unless I get the current owner down to a realistic number. Educated buyers make the best owners.

DAFF
04-12-2012, 11:49 PM
I give that Rider a 3 out of ten... Be thankfull he did not take the $2000.00 for you would of regreted it. Be patient and scour CL every 24hrs for a great deal. Ps the good ones go fast....