PDA

View Full Version : I've hit a major roadblock that could be a trainwreck.

haugy
04-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Well I've got the Saltare all ready for the summer. Except the oil change which I attempted today. Read, attempted.

In short I have a now completely destroyed oil filter stuck to hell and back on my engine. I can't get it off to save my life. I've tried an oil filter wrench (strap-clamp), I've tried channel locks, I've tried a screw driver. I've mutilated this thing so much I even tried a smaller oil filter wrench since it now fits.

Nothing. I bought the boat last year, and it had good fresh oil in it, and what looked to be a recent enough filter. So I ran it.

My guess is they tightened with a wrench, and didn't put any oil on the sealing ring. So it's baked to it.

Any ideas? I'm going to try another style wrench that supposed to grip better, think a big hook. And get some PB blaster or other penetrating fluid to try and spray in the top. I tried to use a screwdriver to pry the edges so I could spray the seal and let it soak. But then snapped the screwdriver in half.

CRAP!!!

I even tried turning the opposite direction in case it's reversed or some crap, or just to break the seal. Nothing.

And since it's snugged in there tight as hell, I can barely get my channel locks on it to turn. A pipe wrench big enough to get around won't fit.
I'm going to try the new filter wrench, and then start cutting my channel locks down to short ones with a big bite to see if it will fit.

I really don't want to have to pull the motor and tranny just to get a damn oil filter off this bitch. :(

86 century
04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
If you can get to it use a big screwdriver or dull chisel up around the ring at the top to drive it around.
I have done this many times on brand new cars.

crystal waters
04-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Had same issue last year.sprayed some wd40 to top of filter hoping to penetrate threads.
Then drove screw driver through top half of filter horizontally until it came out other side.
Then using both hands ,one on each side, twisted the filter off with success.
Sick feeling initially.i empathise.

Jetlink
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
What about as a last ditch effort, cutting as much of the filter material away? Isn't there something like a nut that is in the top that threads onto the the filter housing? Before you get to that point, might be worth it to buy a cheapo filter and cut it just to make sure I am not adding more train cars to this issue.

haugy
04-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Here's the problem guys. On the 454, the lip for the filter is tucked up in the block. And the transmission housing is right behind it, oil pan on one side.

So with the screwdriver I can only leverage one side. Trying to pry into it, I can' only use a screwdriver. The oil filter is thread on type with the threads in the middle. So yeah, breaking out the tin snips will be the last ditch effort. I'm going to spray PB blaster all in the filter tomorrow to try and loosen it.

There is just no room to leverage much.

Jetlink
04-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Haugy, snap a few pictures, might help with the brain storming effort.

DAFF
04-08-2012, 11:44 PM
You need an oil filter wrench. They come with very sharp teeth which bite and hold 150% better than any channel lock. Make sure the dog house is removed and pre lube with a WD 40 oil..... I bought one last year and cant believe the ease to remove the stubourn filters.

DAFF
04-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Here is the one I bought.... One of my faverite tools now!!

86 century
04-09-2012, 03:47 AM
Here is the one I bought.... One of my faverite tools now!!

+1 to this I have a set of snapon just like them great tool to have around.

haugy
04-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Daff, yeah I'm going to pick one of those up. I did some searching, and you're not the only one who said that. I mean to take pics but was just flat out exhausted.

lively
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
nowadays i use fram with the sure grip or use filter pliers like the ones mentioned ... if you still can pop it loose i would use some heat to expand the filter / threads .. in turn
allowing you to loosen the filter ....

michael hunter
04-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Here is what you need you can use a open end wrench on the outside of the square tube or a 1/2 '' ratchet on the inside. I have never seen it fail. It should be available at the local auto parts store.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/unnamed.jpg

Lisle LIS63500 Strap Type Oil Filter Wrench Up to 6in. $5 online
Lisle LIS63500 Strap Type Oil Filter Wrench Up to 6in.
$5 online

Features & Benefits:For filters up to 6in 152.4mm. Adjusts quickly to fit any spin-on oil filter up to 6in diameter. Use with 1/2in drive or 3/4in wrench.ch. Strong nylon belt. Skin-packed.
Add to Shopping List

jzelt
04-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Not to be dumb, but also make sure you are turning it the right way.
I always take a sharpie and mark the unscrew direction on the filter right after install so I don't do it wrong.
On several, I have taken a screwdriver, hammered it thru the filter and twisted it off. Tears the crap out of it, but it did eventually start to spin off once enough of the filter was piled up to apply the pressure to the threads.

michael hunter
04-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Righty Tighty Lefty Loosy

Jetlink
04-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Righty Tighty Lefty LoosySo that's what I have been doing wrong all these years! :x

haugy
04-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm going to pick up a wrench like posted earlier tomorrow. And yes, I know my left from my right. :D Most of the time.

whelchel86
04-09-2012, 11:41 PM
They have those filter pliers at harbor freight for pretty cheap. Less than $10 when I bought a pair.

haugy
04-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Update

I borrowed a pair of oil wrench pliers like Daff posted. It took everything I had, but finally got that SOB off!! I mean I was making it move millimeters a turn. Shredding the can the whole time. Finally after about 20 minutes I got the sucker off. HOLY CRAP!!!

The o-ring was baked and cooked dry. Cracking when you pick at it. Some idiot must have left it dry when they put it on, and then tightened it with a wrench.

In short, I got it all back together this weekend, and fired it up. Fired right up on the first pull. Much better than last year when I got it. It took everything it had last year.

Now all I have to do is detail it "haugystyle" and it's ready for the water!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!

wiatowski
04-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Glad to hear all went well?!.... well at least you got if of. Like I said I always do the 3/4 turn by hand.

Okie Boarder
04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Awesome...good lesson as to why you oil the o-ring for anyone that didn't know.

jonyb
04-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Get the stereo in yet? I haven't heard from you......

haugy
04-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Ha! You know I haven't started when I'm not bugging you with calls. Been getting the boat all dialed in with some needed upgrades, driveshaft packing, getting that oil filter off, ball valve shut off for water intake.

And since I blew the tranny on my rockcrawler, that has been keeping me busy as well.

I plan on starting the amp wiring next week. I know I can get everything wired up, it will be the settings on the two amps I want to make sure I've got set right.

Dude blind yet from all those SC's you put on his boat yet?