PDA

View Full Version : Bad Grinding Noise

SWS
04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Bad grinding noise out of water

I have a 1990 Supra Sun sport with PCM tranny 1-1.23

It has a terrible grinding noise when I put it into gear out of the water . If the boat is in the water it will wine just a little at low rpms and then it seems to completely go away with a little throttle. The PCM tranny seems to be running great in water no slipping, leaking, the oil is changed regularly and has no discolor or burn smell to it , it has no foamy appearance or signs of water entering . I do fell a little vibration when I turn a certain direction. Anyone have any ideas on what this might be?

I also would like to add that at this point I have the Tranny out of the boat I have pulled the prop shaft, The packing nut looked complete hard and burned up and a little egged out on the back side . I dropped the shaft off at Nettles in Austin a local prop shop and they said that it the shaft looked fine it does have some ware at the location of the packing nut but nice and straight. I have removed the lower bushings and will replace them with new . I also order the dripless shat seal. This . I cannot tell where this noise has been coming from but it sounds terrible out of the water. Can anyone think of anything else I should try before I put this back together.
Thanks Steven

DAFF
04-09-2012, 09:42 PM
I would be looking at the flywheel side of things......Perhaps a broken spring or crack on the dampener plate causing abnormal flexing and noise.

SWS
04-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for replying i did check the flex plate . It looked good. I thought that might have been the problem as well. I had already orders one so now it has a new one on it. But the old one did look good.

Salty87
04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
did you lube the strut bushing when you were turning the shaft out of the water? it needs to be wet.

michael hunter
04-10-2012, 09:53 AM
You should never engage the trans out of water. Those bushings on the strut are called cutlass bushings they are lubricated by water . If run dry it will cause a bad vibration. I would put it back together and align the engine and run it only in water.

SWS
04-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the replys .No I did not wet the strut bushings . Not sure if that would make that grinding noise I'm hearing but could be . I will
put her back together and see how she will do.

jet
04-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Correct, rotating the shaft out of the water will shake and rattle the boat and sound like your boat is coming apart.