PDA

View Full Version : Recreational water Skiing behind 24SSV

Bill Ishmael
04-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I am new to this forum and considering buying a 24SSV and was wondering if anyone has had experience in slalom skiing behind one? Can you flatten the wake enough to enjoy recreational slalom skiing. We mostly wake board but my wife still likes to ski and I don't really want a crossover boat. Any opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

michael hunter
04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Thats a tall order with that size boat. Take one out for a test drive and let the wife ski it. Is there a reason you need a boat that size?

H2Oman
04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
What speed does she prefer to ski? Empty ballast, very few passengers, wake plate down all of the way, enough speed, yes you can ski. You can barefoot. It is not optimum though...

Bill Ishmael
04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Thats a tall order with that size boat. Take one out for a test drive and let the wife ski it. Is there a reason you need a boat that size?

No not really we were also looking at the 22' we have 5 in our family and plus some friends!

Bill Ishmael
04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Here preferred speed is 27mph! Thanks for the advice!

Lavinder
04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
We are a family of 5 too and often have extra ballast (passengers). I was a die hard skier and skied behind my 22SSV the first trip I took it out. Then I started wakeboarding. My skies haven't seen daylight since. Now I split my time surfing and wakeboarding. The 22SSV is nice with all the seating, but is limited in cockpit space due to the seating arrangement. We have had 8 adults and five kids in our boat comfortably. The 22SSV is certified for 15 passengers/2100 lbs. I boarded behind it with all that ballast and had fun.

Bkrobz
04-12-2012, 02:37 AM
If she's cutting hard and running a course, then no, the wake isn't going to be flat. I have a 22ssv and my skier friends don't enjoy skiing behind mine. We'll take mine out to surf and wakeboard, but we'll take my buddies 20ft direct drive to ski.

If it's recreational as asked and she's not cutting too hard, then it would be fine. She'll have a bigger bump to cross (maybe 2 instead of 1) but could still have fun I think. She won't be winning any tournaments behind the 24 :-)

Wake boarding behind the ski boat is boring, and surfing is nonexistent , so if you're looking to do those more, you'll love the 24.

I'll post a vid of my 22ssv with no weight next time I'm out so you can judge. I imagine my 22 wake would be slightly smaller than the 24. Hopefully that will help. Good luck.

Bkrobz
04-24-2012, 01:40 AM
As promised here's a pic and a video showing the wake behind my '07 22ssv. Definitely not a tournament ski boat. This was at 27 - 30 mph with the wake plate mostly down and the ballast completely empty. I also included another video of my buddy behind his malibu ski boat so you can see the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eHamxc9QXU

http://db.tt/050bTC7F

iwakeboard
04-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Hmmm, I can't imagine skiing behind my 24 would be ideal but if you think you'll do anything other than ski and expect to have a crew of 6 to 8 people regularly I think you'll love the 24.