PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a SS or considering Saltare

homer
04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Hey everybody, greetings. I've been looking and researching this forum for a while now and totally want a Supra versus any other inboard now. I've got some considerations and a couple questions real quick. My main purpose for an inboard is wakeboarding so I really want a Sunsport. I would consider the Saltare too, but what kind of gas-guzzling goes down in that 454? (with gas prices always going up, I want the 351 of a Sunsport)
I've done all the reading on floors/stringers I think I can and am going to check what I can and keep my fingers crossed. Are the stringers in these boats just a matter of time before they rot or is there anything I can do to prevent it after I get a boat?
Last question - I found a 1986 SS with 1200+ hours on it. Is that a lot for these boats or not so much? I've seen others around 500-700 or so.

Thanks all for your input - much appreciated!

cadunkle
04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
My '89 Saltare with 454 burns ~ 6 GPH at 21 MPH. Not sure what the Sunsport guys are getting. If you can afford to put gas in a boat it doesn't really matter if it's a 351 or 454, you can afford it. Lets say a 351w Sunsport gets 5 GPH and a 454 Saltare gets 6 GPH, I highly doubt the Sunsport really does that well, it'll likely be 5.x GPH. Regardless, 89 octane here in NJ is about $3.80/gal. So the Sunsport costs $19/hr and the Saltare costs $22.80/hr.

For a 6 hour day of riding that's $114 vs $136, a $22 difference. or only 16%. Not sure on ramp fees but it costs $15 to use a ramp here and I probably burn another $30+ in the truck to get to the water and back. So a day in the Saltare costs minimum of $181, placing $22 down to an even lower 12% of my costs. Realistically I'd expect the actual savings to be 1/3 to 1/2 of the $22 per 6 hour day we figured here... But I'll wait until someone with a Sunsport chimes in with real fuel consumption numbers.

Basically my point is, fuel costs aren't much different. Look at both Sunsport and Saltare and in a given price range, go with whichever is in better condition or you personally like better.

Stringers will rot out eventually as the factory quality was quite poor. What seems to do them in is the leaky exhaust through the transom allowing water in and the foam holding it in. If your stringers are solid just do your best to keep the boat dry and you should get quite a few years before they need done. I'd imagine removing the foam would help lengthen life drastically, but at that point you'd probably find some small rotted sections anyhow and would be in for the full job.

sydneyACE
04-11-2012, 12:30 PM
As cadunkle said, don't worry too much about the engine size. There is a difference, but not too much. Depending on how you boat, and how far you need to motor from the dock, etc. you might not even notice the difference. My boat just sips the gas until you start motoring across the lake, then it guzzles it down. (84 Rider w/a Chevy 400 Small-block.)
As for the stringers, it's hit and miss. If they haven't been re-done recently (within 10 years or so), you would be safe to assume that they are bad. There are some rare ones out there that have lived in a shed or garage all their life that might be good. If you want to avoid the gamble all-together, you can look for 1991 and-up. (I think the exact date varies based on model.) This is the year Supra started using composite stringers, so there will be way less wood to worry about rotting.
Hours on a boat is pretty subjective. Some guys are hard on their stuff, some guys aren't.

Set a price range for yourself, then find the boat within that range that will need the least amount of work. Cheers and good luck!

Jetlink
04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I'll echo what the guys have already said. I have a comp with the 351 in it. When I fully sac out my boat and load up the friends to go riding, I use around 6 GPH depending on how much starting and stopping I am doing. You'll probably find that the 454 will do better under load than the 351 in regards to gas use due to the additional HP and torque available. I will add the caveat that I motor out to where I plan to ride and then fill up ballast and then empty as soon as I am done before I head home so my fuel numbers might be a little off compared to others.

crystal waters
04-11-2012, 04:19 PM
http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/2930518093.html

here is Soltaire for 10,000 in Spokane Washington

crystal waters
04-11-2012, 04:20 PM
http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/2947275924.html

or here is a nice Pirata -same city! asking16500.00

crystal waters
04-11-2012, 04:27 PM
http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2933470596.html

here is a sunsport in Denver Colorado
asking 13500.00

crystal waters
04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/boa/2939203186.html

1990 sunsport in Vancouver B C Canada
gorgeous part of our world if you are up for a drive to tow it back!

homer
04-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the help so far. I guess the answer is clear - a 454 should be fine on gas compared to a 351, especially since it's not working as hard. My biggest fear is the stringers as I won't have the time to fix myself with 2 small kids if anything goes wrong. I really like that Saltare that's in Spokane (no wood stringers), but a little much for me. I'm looking to spend $8k max. Anybody ever shipped a boat? I'm a 3-day drive from Spokane if that could work out :razz: (dreaming)

For those with the Saltare, what the gross weight for towing? I have a 2006 Tacoma that will pull suprisingly more than you think - rated at 6,500, but I don't like pulling more than 5,500 consistently.

crystal waters
04-11-2012, 05:17 PM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2894827408.html

here is a mariah in Phoenix for 8000 obo
try dealing on the saltaire in Spokane! Times are tough--you might be surprised!
to get away from the wood stringers etc is worth it IMHO
good luck

DAFF
04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Both are great boats no matter the drive line. As for fuel it is more about how you drive, Keep the rpm's under 2700 and enjoy. Most of all inspect the stringers !!

supra B
04-11-2012, 07:36 PM
I've got an 88 sunsport in excellent condition. I don't use it much any more since I now ski off my buddy's nautique. the ss is a great ski or wakeboard boat. only 720 hrs on engine. Iwould consider selling it to the right buyer . if interested ,hit me back

paverman
04-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I've got an 88 sunsport in excellent condition. I don't use it much any more since I now ski off my buddy's nautique. the ss is a great ski or wakeboard boat. only 720 hrs on engine. Iwould consider selling it to the right buyer . if interested ,hit me back

But how are the stringers?

haugy
04-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Not to contradict anyone. But having owned both the 351w and the 454 Saltare, I have real world experience.

The 351 will get better gas mileage, and by a decent bit. I used to be able to run to a local restaurant on the water with my Mariah, and only use half a tank. I do the same run and same cruising speed in the Saltare, and I'll use a little over 3/4's of a tank. That's a 12 gallon difference. So yeah, that's about $48 a run.

So yea, the 351w does get much better mileage. If you don't really want the size, get the Sunsport. They are fantastic boats, all around. The Saltare just has a little more room that I like. When I bought mine, I was looking at SS and Saltares, just happened that a Saltare was the available best deal.

homer
04-12-2012, 01:11 AM
So does anyone have experience with shipping a boat? I don't have the time to spend flying somewhere and spending 3 days driving home.

Maybe you guys are right about spending a few extra dollars now rather than in the future on stringers...

supra B
04-12-2012, 07:00 AM
the stringers are strong and rot free. I'm in west palm beach fla. you can and should send a professional surveyor to check out any boat you are considering! It may cost a hundred bucks or so, but it's cheaper than you traveling out to inspect it.

csuggs
04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
I guess I'll have to chime in here. I would do things differently if I had it to do over again - now that I know. So I'll graciously share what I've learned . . . .

When I purchased my boat in 2008 I KNEW that I wanted an inboard with open bow and I liked the Sunsport because it seemed that it would make a great wake boat. I knew nothing about what to look for with stringers - didn't even know it was a concern. I purchased the boat for $5500 in Michigan with 650 hours on it. Everything was original. It didn't take long to figure out I had a problem though. I decided to get everything fixed properly and now I am very happy with what I have. My boat's a "keeper" from a financial standpoint and that's ok because I really like it. But if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would not buy any boat with wood stringers, especially one that is prone to rot such as the Supra. Now if you want a project, that's another story. Go for it! Buy a boat that you know is mechanically sound and then rebuild and customize. But if you want to buy a boat to use without worrying about the stringer repairs, etc. then stay away from wood stringers all-together.

Clint

cadunkle
04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Not to contradict anyone. But having owned both the 351w and the 454 Saltare, I have real world experience.

The 351 will get better gas mileage, and by a decent bit. I used to be able to run to a local restaurant on the water with my Mariah, and only use half a tank. I do the same run and same cruising speed in the Saltare, and I'll use a little over 3/4's of a tank. That's a 12 gallon difference. So yeah, that's about $48 a run.

So yea, the 351w does get much better mileage.

Fuel gauges aren't accurate or linear in travel. Not sure if you measured actual fuel burned or approximated based on gauge reading.

Regardless... Mariah tank is 38 gal, Saltare is 46. So half tank on a Mariah is 19 gal and 3/4 on a Saltare is 34.5 gal. For your same trip the Saltare burned 15.5 gallons more. My Saltare gets 6 GPH at low to mid 20s, even with a 800 double pumper instead of the factory smaller vacuum secondary 4160. So that trip took you approx 5 hours and 45 minutes assuming 6 GPH. From that we can get a rough idea of your Mariahs 351w fuel consumption... 3.3 GPH. I find this unbelievable.

Now lets assume it was in fact a 12 gallon difference, and the Saltare burned 3/4 tank or 34.5 gal. In this scenario the Mariah burned 22.5 gallons for the same 5 hour 45 minute trip, which is 3.9 GPH. Still hard for me to believe but within the realm of possibility. I suspect your trip did not take 5.75 hours and your Saltare was running rich, or you were going at a speed/load enough to be cruising on the enrichment circuit in the Saltare but not in the Mariah. I suspect if we adjust for 4.8-5.2 GPH in the Mariah the numbers in the Saltare will look realistic for an engine running rich or not in proper tune.

To do a comparison we need actual GPH, specified as to the conditions (towing rider, slalom, cruising around at whatever MPH, mix of several activities, etc.). I have kept track a few times to monitor my GPH but this year I will be keeping a log book in the boat so I document it every time.

homer
04-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Well, the stringer issue seems to be a mixed bag. If a boat checks out with ok stringers, how long should I expect until they're going to inevitably rot or if I seal the exhaust ports real well, keep the shaft packing adjusted right and don't leave in the rain - might I be ok?

haugy
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Fuel gauges aren't accurate or linear in travel. Not sure if you measured actual fuel burned or approximated based on gauge reading.

Regardless... Mariah tank is 38 gal, Saltare is 46. So half tank on a Mariah is 19 gal and 3/4 on a Saltare is 34.5 gal. For your same trip the Saltare burned 15.5 gallons more. My Saltare gets 6 GPH at low to mid 20s, even with a 800 double pumper instead of the factory smaller vacuum secondary 4160. So that trip took you approx 5 hours and 45 minutes assuming 6 GPH. From that we can get a rough idea of your Mariahs 351w fuel consumption... 3.3 GPH. I find this unbelievable.

Now lets assume it was in fact a 12 gallon difference, and the Saltare burned 3/4 tank or 34.5 gal. In this scenario the Mariah burned 22.5 gallons for the same 5 hour 45 minute trip, which is 3.9 GPH. Still hard for me to believe but within the realm of possibility. I suspect your trip did not take 5.75 hours and your Saltare was running rich, or you were going at a speed/load enough to be cruising on the enrichment circuit in the Saltare but not in the Mariah. I suspect if we adjust for 4.8-5.2 GPH in the Mariah the numbers in the Saltare will look realistic for an engine running rich or not in proper tune.

To do a comparison we need actual GPH, specified as to the conditions (towing rider, slalom, cruising around at whatever MPH, mix of several activities, etc.). I have kept track a few times to monitor my GPH but this year I will be keeping a log book in the boat so I document it every time.

I knew you'd chime in. :)

My numbers are based off of actual fuel used. And you are basing the GPH of the Mariah off of your boat and your thoughts of speed and time.

Running my Mariah at 2800-2900 rpm constant for the 60-70 minute run, depending on chop.

Running my Saltare at 2800-2900 rpm constant for the same 60-70 minute run.

I know you're boat is super-awesome, and tuned like Nasa. I go off of real world numbers, from real world engines. The Saltare is a gas pig versus the 351w, the motor is bigger and it weighs 700lbs more. Simple. Feel free to prove me wrong with real numbers, not made up math problems. I know you're boat and truck can run on Unicorn farts and Leprechaun tears for days and days, but my toys run on good ole pump gas.

cadunkle
04-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Pump '89 in my Saltare burns 6 GPH, real numbers from real usage. Mostly riding 21 MPH but with some small amount of idling through no wakes. My truck burns 6 GPH at 65-70 MPH pulling my Saltare, on pump 93. Both are big blocks of similar displacement (460 and 454), both have double pumpers (750 and 800). This tells me the load is similar and there is some consistency in these numbers.

I don't see 3.3 GPH as possible in that type of boat (I may be wrong, but you haven't stated your GPH). 3.9 GPH seems optimistic but possible. 2800-2900 RPM in different boats with different power can be different speeds. Small block may not be into enrichment in the lighter boat and the big block in heavier boat might be into enrichment. Carb tune, timing, etc. are other variables. Something doesn't add up. It seems to me like you're saying your Mariah "runs on thanks". My Saltare runs on 89 octane pump gas and the GPH is consistent with other vehicles and boats. If you disregard math and science of engine building and tuning, you can make up whatever numbers you want. I deal in facts, not hopes and dreams.

Check this review of a small block boat...
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?id=1762
7.2 GPH at cruise speed from a small block 20' boat.

Salty87
04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
did i really see a '94 saltare listed for $10k w/trailer?

tell me somebody has jumped on that deal already.

Jetlink
04-12-2012, 02:26 PM
I hate to jump in the middle of this beautiful and spirited debate but I'll put it simply. If you can afford an inboard boat, the gas mileage should be your last worry regardless of big or small block. If gas mileage is your issue, might want to consider an I/O with a 4 cylinder Volvo Penta or something. All I know is I usually fill mine up when the indicator drops toward the E side of the gauge. That usually tells me that I've had a day of fun.In my experience, the straight 4 does even worse on gas economy than a 6 cylinder or even a V-8. Case in point, same boat, different engine, the 4 would just eat gas like it was going out of style while the 6 was slightly better. And as a reference point, "slight" will be the difference in fuel consumption between engines I think. You are not going to see a huge spread in GPH between ski boat engines. At the end of the day, or sometimes earlier depending on use, as the guage heads towards 1/4 tank, I am adding gas and I don't really bat an eye at it because after all, this is a toy and if I can't afford it or I flinch when I fill up, then I guess I shouldn't be playing.

cadunkle
04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
If gas mileage is your issue, might want to consider an I/O with a 4 cylinder Volvo Penta or something.

Funny you say that. Some relatives have a 4 banger Volvo and it eats gas like no tomorrow. If the boat is on plane with more than one person onboard it's into full enrichment dumping fuel like mad. It's a lightweight 18' (including platform) I/O. Don't have scientific measurements but I know in similar usage my last boat, a 21' I/O, would burn a similar amount of fuel with a Chevy 350. Not sure if more or less, but costs were close to run the two boats and both had 20 gallon tanks. Hull was bigger but not ridiculously heavy, and it could cruise easily at a fraction of the RPM of the Volvo and stay out of the enrichment circuit.

I just thought it was interesting. Typically an undersized engine will burn just as much or more fuel than a properly sized engine, but it will have to do so at a higher RPM, worse performance, and with decreased time between overhauls.

Of course on the flip side an oversized engine will burn more fuel than a merely adequately sized one when not used to it's full potential. For example, I notice my old lifted big block truck gets worse MPG than brand new 280-360 cubic inch trucks when just driving around. When towing substantial weight though, it gets better MPG than those same new trucks pulling the same weight.

Still, comparing GPH under specific conditions is the best way to measure fuel consumption.

My initial point was if you can afford a boat, you can afford to put gas in it. That doesn't mean it makes sense to waste gas. I assume all of us fortunate enough to be able to go blow $100-$200 a day in gas whenever we want didn't get to this point by wasting money when the same thing can be accomplished for less. If my boat burned 10 GPH, or 15 GPH, I'd still be out just as often... But if I can do the same for about 6 GPH then why would I not want to?

Ptownkid
04-12-2012, 06:07 PM
did i really see a '94 saltare listed for $10k w/trailer?

tell me somebody has jumped on that deal already.

Nooooo kidding.

DAFF
04-12-2012, 11:05 PM
GPH..... I think it is safe to assume a higher cubic inch engine will use more fuel. Although there are way too many variables in boats WRT props, wind speed, current boat weight, carbs, cruising speed ect to get an absolute number..... In my personal opinion the boat builders base the fuel cell size by the basic GPM of a given boat. By basic ratios of tanks one can determine the fuel approximate GPM differences.

wiatowski
04-16-2012, 08:53 PM
I love this thread.... how about we talk about using leaded or unleaded? lol
I like the point that if you can afford a boat, you can afford the fuel. If your worried about it costing you $100 bucks every weekend... don't get one, put gas in your friends.
Give him $30 bucks every time you go out for $8000 that's 267 times. lol, and no maintenance to you.:p

cadunkle
04-16-2012, 09:56 PM
wiatowski... Pretty much, but as I said... Why spend more than you have to? If some tuning can drop your consumption .5 GPH and your boat runs better to boot, may as well get that pig in tune. For me that's $12 per trip, pays for my lunch or docking fee.

The other consideration is range. Can I ride for 4-6 hours and still have enough fuel to make the 26 mile round trip to the city for lunch or dinner? For being a major river and shipping lane there isn't fuel nearly as often along the river as I'd like... and of course it's more expensive. My tank is only 46 gallons, if I could easily swap for a bigger tank that would be awesome, but there's no room for it unless I get rid of storage. Just some other considerations. I don't fret about spending money on boat related fun, but waste not want not.

mapleleaf
04-17-2012, 12:32 AM
that '94 is all we should be talking about, notice what Marina bill's are like? mileage schmileage...this is a priviledge...

cadunkle
04-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Well yeah, if that '94 wasn't 3000 miles away I'd probably jump on it. Shame the dash and windshield are so fugly though. Anyone know if you can swap an early Saltare cap on a late model composite lower?

homer
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks cadunkle, you have illustrated the point to my question well. Just trying to see if any reason I should covet a harder to find Saltare than Sunsport. From all the reading I've done too, it sounds like for wakeboarding (which is what I want) the Saltare is going to take more sacs to weigh it down and throw a nice wake.

That said, I'm not opposed to a Saltare, as long as I can afford it in the first place and it is a good buy.

crystal waters
04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Do I hear "road trip"?
Perhaps the seller will meet you half way down the road?
Just a thought!

crystal waters
04-17-2012, 05:13 PM
here you go! Closer to home?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/2930061411.html

crystal waters
04-17-2012, 05:14 PM
---or here is a Sunsport
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/2943774771.html

Jetlink
04-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Single axle trailer on a saltare...yikes!!!

gogger
04-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Well I was wanting into a inboard ski boat cheaply. So I bought an '89 Pirata a couple of months ago for $4800, with the knowledge that the interior needed redone. I didn't know anything about stringers. Didn't even know that wood stringers existed in a fiberglass boat.

Took it straight to a shop that restores older inboards and he quoted me $10,000 to fix the interior and stringers. I had not been to this sight prior to the purchase. Found it that night and started reading and learning a little. Decided to try and make it through this summer with the stringers as they are. I was able to get a little longer lag bolts to bite. I plan on taking it to Donny over the winter and let him do the stringers the correct way. I don't trust the local guy to do it. He seemed a little to anxious to enjoy my sorrow.

I have had the interior redone and that cost $3000, The upholstery guy did a nice job. I rebuilt the frames myself and also the seat bases.

So now I have about $8500 in it and haven't even thought about taking it out yet. Still need to do a lot of little things, like new bilge pumps, a blower needs replaced. Stereo is shot. I have a new one sitting in the garage.

Donny quoted me a price of $5000 to replace the stringers and floor. So that will put me at $13,500 plus whatever else I find I have to fix once I run it in the water.

The trailer needs work, so that will be a couple hundred, plus new tires.

So I will probably be at $15,000 by next year.

I wish I had educated myself a little before hand, and then found a boat without wood stringers.

I haven't even started to think about fuel consumption yet. lol

oh yea and I totalled my 2000 Nissan Maxima on the way to look at it. I had my wife drop the comprehensive insurance coverage a couple weeks earlier. So it wasn't covered. It was probably worth $2500. So can I add that to my total?

wiatowski
04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
here's one in Canada

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1990-Supra-Wakeboard-Boat-W0QQAdIdZ363149940

overpriced... offer less.

homer
04-17-2012, 10:01 PM
thanks for the listings from Craigslist. I've got a few that I'm looking at that are within a days drive and not 3 - one way... All Sunsports.

Yeah, what's up with that single axle trailer with the huge looking frame? Looks like some sort of bizarre custom job for that Saltare. Other than that, it looks like a nice boat. You think the price is fair at $9K?

cadunkle
04-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Single axle trailer on a saltare...yikes!!!

Looks like a generic/universal trailer marinas often use to shuffle boats around. I wouldn't want to use that on the highway. Just to move around lots or before lifting/racking I would imagine.

haugy
04-18-2012, 12:49 PM
here you go! Closer to home?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/2930061411.html

Beware of this boat. I saw it for sale last year, and went to call the guy to talk about coming up to buy it. It had sold already. So it's only been owned for a year, and that trailer is absolute shit.

I wouldn't take it to get gas with that thing. It's barely dispersing the load across the hull. Firm price my ass. I'm tempted to call the asshat and tell him he's a moron for thinking that is a safe and reliable trailer.

TitanTn
04-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Well I was wanting into a inboard ski boat cheaply. So I bought an '89 Pirata a couple of months ago for $4800, with the knowledge that the interior needed redone. I didn't know anything about stringers. Didn't even know that wood stringers existed in a fiberglass boat.

Took it straight to a shop that restores older inboards and he quoted me $10,000 to fix the interior and stringers. I had not been to this sight prior to the purchase. Found it that night and started reading and learning a little. Decided to try and make it through this summer with the stringers as they are. I was able to get a little longer lag bolts to bite. I plan on taking it to Donny over the winter and let him do the stringers the correct way. I don't trust the local guy to do it. He seemed a little to anxious to enjoy my sorrow.

I have had the interior redone and that cost $3000, The upholstery guy did a nice job. I rebuilt the frames myself and also the seat bases.

So now I have about $8500 in it and haven't even thought about taking it out yet. Still need to do a lot of little things, like new bilge pumps, a blower needs replaced. Stereo is shot. I have a new one sitting in the garage.

Donny quoted me a price of $5000 to replace the stringers and floor. So that will put me at $13,500 plus whatever else I find I have to fix once I run it in the water.

The trailer needs work, so that will be a couple hundred, plus new tires.

So I will probably be at $15,000 by next year.

I wish I had educated myself a little before hand, and then found a boat without wood stringers.

I haven't even started to think about fuel consumption yet. lol

oh yea and I totalled my 2000 Nissan Maxima on the way to look at it. I had my wife drop the comprehensive insurance coverage a couple weeks earlier. So it wasn't covered. It was probably worth $2500. So can I add that to my total?

I'm starting to weep. That's a sad start, but I think you'll be happy in the end. You'll have a boat that you can keep as long as you want and I don't know that it's going to depreciate much more than it already has. Focus on the good times to come.

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
04-19-2012, 07:03 PM
That is a nice looking boat for 10,000 dollars** I live in Vancouver myself so if you are interested in this boat I could check it out for you??
I bought my 2002 Launch SS DD in Seattle area 3 years ago. email me if you want me to check out this boat for you?? Not always on this
site. Dave >>[email protected] Boating season is soon ya hoo

sydneyACE
04-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I like that Saltair in Spokane for $10k. That's a very good deal!
'94 so you wouldn't have to worry at-all about rotten wood. That's worth at-least $3k alone.
The interior was redone 2 years ago, that's a huge bonus too. The catain's chair apears to be a cheepo replacement, but still funtional.

Anyway, I'm fairly close to Spokane (Hamilton, MT), so if you needed someone to go look-at it for you, let me know. (Would need some gas $ of-course.) ;)

Also, it's possible that I could help haul-it part way for you too. (I might have to make a lay-over at some nice lakes along the way to do a lil wake-boarding.) ;)

When I bought my "tub", it came all the way from Texas. The trip get it cost me almost $1000, just for a reference. (Of-course my trailer was in aweful shape and needed bearings and some tires.)

Just food for thought...

homer
04-20-2012, 02:22 PM
tempting guys, but still higher than my budget right now... I have to think. :confused:

sydneyACE
04-21-2012, 11:28 AM
I hear you on the budget. Def need to stick to your budget, just make sure you don't buy one that will end-up needing more $ to get it in the water. Nothing worse than buying a boat that you can't use.

There will always be something to go wrong. You should prob split your budget into two sections. The $ you spend to buy the boat, and the $ you spend to fix it up and make it ready.

I had a $3-4k budget. (I know, not much. lol!) So I found a boat for $1500 knowing I would need the other $1500 to get it in the water.

Salty87
04-22-2012, 09:58 AM
yes, keep receipts but never add them up.

homer
04-23-2012, 11:34 PM
I've found several boats that supposedly have had the floors replaced. I find myself asking why they did the floor and not the stringers. Does that raise a red flag to anyone else? I guess I could ask the shop that did it and see if they sound like they know what they're doing. Plenty of Sunsports I've found for $6,000 - $6,000 and Saltares around $6K-$8,500. Also, do you guys think 1400 hours is a LOT for an '87 Saltare?

cadunkle
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
With regard to hours I treat boats just like cars... I don't care because it's irrelevant. The main things affected by hours are the things that are cheap and easy... Engine, transmission, driveline. On a car if the body and frame are solid that's the main thing I care about (floor and stringers on a boat), as that's a lot more time consuming and expensive to repair. Use high hours as a negotiating point if the seller is foolish enough to consider hours important though. For comparison I'd say an average hours for someone who actually uses the thing would be 75-100/year.

Anyhow, if my ballpark numbers are to be believed typical use of that boat for 25 years old would be 1875-2500 hours... So 1400 hours is a little light but not far off considering for many of us life and weather both get in the way of boat use. Farther south you'll see higher hours since the season is longer and farther north (where you are), a bit less. I also tend to believe things that are used frequently are generally not neglected so much. How amny people have you seen at the ramp with some dirty banged up shitbox they drop in, won't start, won't go into gear, drive doesn't tilt, etc. and tie up the ramp forever because they're obnoxious selfish pricks? If my area is anything like the rest of the country, a lot. Those people use their boats a few times a year at most. Typically major holidays that I avoid the river for the sake of sanity, safety, and flat water.