PDA

View Full Version : '05 Supra 21V w/ Lots of initial problems

shiggin
07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
I purchased a new '05 Supra 21v. I have less than 20 hours on the motor. And within those 20 hours- I have had many problems with this boat.
Before I even took delivery, one of the boat's the front head lights did not work because it was loose.
On the first occasion to the lake, the wake plate did not work.
On the second occasion, the rad-e-cage tower fell and put a nice crack in the hull and a nice tear in the seat. Not to mention almost breaking the arm of a passenger that was riding in the boat. The only way I can fix the crack in the hull is to pull out the seat. Since that occurrence, I have read in the owners’ manual which does clearly state that the bolts need to be checked before each ride.
Again, on the second day to the lake, I feel this is an extremely poor design. Maybe every season, but I should not have to tighten bolts on the second run to the lake. That I feel is a poor design.
Later that day with over a 1/4 of a tank of gas showing, we where completely unable to start the boat. However, the actual tank did show a 1/4 tank of gas remaining. After adding only 5 gallons of gas, it was showing a 1/2 tank on the gas on the gauge. Again, I feel this unacceptable on a $50,000 boat.
On the third trip- it was again the wake plate. I guess a wire pulled out from behind the motor.
The fourth and fifth time consisted of the following: a burned out head light, the Perfect Pass not working, and lose wire behind the ignition. After studying the Perfect Pass manual and working out those issues, the boat would not start. I again had the dealer on the phone plus a Supra sales rep for over an hour while I floated in Lake Almanor. in a $50,000 boat that would not start. Finally, we located a wire that had come off behind the starter. Again, a lose wire.
Then after an hour and ½, we got the boat running.
I had to drive the boat across the lake that night. But guess what? My navigation lights did not work. Again, the front head light was out and the tower light did not work.
The dealer said the light had fallen out the back. This is after it had already come lose before.
And again, after everything was supposedly fixed, I had had to drop my boat off before work. The tower light was not working because of a bad fuse. Well, now it works, but only as a “convenience” light. It will not work in conjunction with the navigation lights-- like it should.
On the seventh time out -the navigation light cover on top of the Cage has come off somewhere between trip to the shop and the lake. The trailer buddy on my trailer no longer works. When you trailer the boat, it throws it to the right which now has created a tear in the rubber which now causes the hull to hit metal underneath the rubber when trying to lock the boat into place. And the perfect pass is still not working.
Now, after six times to the shop, it had been thought it was just the blown fuse which had caused its' failure.

02LaunchSSV
07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I can certainly understand your frustration with those issues and the boat being new but honestly, my 02 is a dream. Knock on wood, only regular maintenance at hourly intervals. Sounds to me like your dealer should be stepping up to the plate with the tower issues and lights on the tower. The loose wire thing sounds like factory issue to me and if properly inspected and run, those issues should of been addressed before leaving the plant.
I have a friend with on 04 SANTE and another with a 24' TIGE and all prefer to board behind mine. I'm only too happy to oblige. Good luck with your problems and I hope they are rectified.

02LaunchSSV
07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I can certainly understand your frustration with those issues and the boat being new but honestly, my 02 is a dream. Knock on wood, only regular maintenance at hourly intervals. Sounds to me like your dealer should be stepping up to the plate with the tower issues and lights on the tower. The loose wire thing sounds like factory issue to me and if properly inspected and run, those issues should of been addressed before leaving the plant.
I have a friend with on 04 SANTE and another with a 24' TIGE and all prefer to board behind mine. I'm only too happy to oblige. Good luck with your problems and I hope they are rectified.

cc-rider
07-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Wow, I really feel for you after reading that post. Your right......if you pay $50,000 for ANYTHING you expect it to be flawless. Sounds to me like annoying problems that came right from the factory. You should take this into the dealer and tell them to go over everything.....tighten everything and check everything. Or else do it yourself so that you know it got done right.

Good luck!

WakeProdigy
07-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Overall, I have to say that I'm happy with the boats performance on the water ( I love the ride, and the wake). However, I have had a few small problems with the boat. First, my board racks weren't working properly, they wouldn't swivel. I fixed this relatively easy by adjusting one of the allen bolts. Second, there is a speaker pop from the amplified speakers when the wakeplate is used. I had the dealer look at this and they couldn't figure it out. After many hours of troubleshooting, I came to the realization that the problem was the head unit and head unit location. The head unit is very cramped in the space it is in. The patch cables that run from the head unit to the amp are smashed up against the steering mechanism. I put a different head unit in the boat, and now the sound is practically gone, not to mention adding all new patch cables and re-routing them away from the boat's power wires. Finally, my Perfect Pass still doesn't work, even after taking it to the dealer and having them look at it. No matter what settings I choose, it still doesn't keep speed. I can hand throttle better than this piece of crap, however I hear that when PP works it's a great investment. Mine doesn't work, and I'm definatley not happy about dropping 50k on a boat with problems even this small. It is a pain in the butt to have to take the boat to the dealer, and even more of a pain to be off the water.

Diggs
07-12-2005, 04:56 PM
It is a new model year and all boats have some probs. I have had a few minor, but nothing more than any other boat I have owned. Sounds like it is time to put your dealer in the hot seat. I am sure they will take care of it. If not Email Rick Tinker personally and you will be very happy with the prompt service you get. Good luck guys and enjoy the boat... it is a ton of fun

shiggin
07-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Rick Tinker? Where can I go to get his email? I have called Customer Service dealing with "Rob" and have had very little response. The dealer has been helpful, but the lack of customer service from Supra has been dissapointing to say the least.

Diggs
07-13-2005, 09:41 AM
[email protected]
He is the president of Skier's Choice and is very good about helping you out and making sure your dealer steps to the plate. I think they view posts on other wakeboarding sites more than they do their own. Give him details and I sure he will get you square. Maybe show him your post. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Taking my 21V out today!!!

Captindaddy1
08-14-2005, 11:21 PM
I bought a 05 22ssv and am having some of the same problems. I was a mastercraft man but the only comp/ wakeboard boat dealer anywhere near my usual lake was a supra dealer, and i have known the owner for a number of years from just being at the lake, so i bought a supra and i don't know if the quality and service is going to justify a $50,000.00 price tag

buckwyatt
08-17-2005, 10:48 AM
It sounds to me like you are running in rough water. These boats are not made for rough water AT ALL. Every screw on it will come loose in those conditions.

I have not had a handful of problems with mine, only the fact that there are several places where water will not drain.

I DO think there are way-better family boats, but for skiing, I have never seen better than my 1988 Supra Comp.

With normal aspiration and a breaker-points ignition, there is nothing I can't do on the water as far as repairs go.

shiggin
08-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I wish it was a simple as rough water. However, the majority of the problems had nothing to due with time on the water.
However, with that said, this is a $50,000 V-Drive Comp Wakeboard Boat with a deep v and a deeper sidewall than most comparable boats on the water. This is not an inboard ski boat designed to run a course in a man made lake.
If it is not built for rough water, it needs to be. It should be built to go through double-ups with ease. After all, this is a luxury wake board boat. Right?
In Supra's defense, I think the hule is fine, and the structure is built to handle rough water. However, I would be interested in the hules thickness compared to the other luxury boats on the market. I have been told the hules are much thicker than other makes like MasterCraft. Isn't that true?
My issues are with the design of the rack and the ease in which the screws became lose; And with and the overall wiring of the boat. Maybe it is a lack of the attention to detail, or maybe it is just one of those things. I just didn't expect it in this price range.
My wake plate again, has stopped working as well as the Perfect Pass. Four days after putting in a brand new system, it is starting to do its thing agian. Basically, it looks like it is starting to short out.
I have also recently noticed ( with the stereo off) a buzzing sound coming from the floor board in front of the engine compartment. It sounds like static electricity. Any suggestions? Thanks for the feed back.

IndyMatt
10-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Wow... I hate to hear about all the problems you guys are having. I grew up with Supra... Learning to ski behind an 84 Ts6M comp... and with many changes throughout the years (yes wood in the boats??) I have overall been very satisfied with quality. My current Supra is an 04 Sunsport & with the exception of a windshield alignment issue, I have not had any problems. One general rule of thumb I have always gone by is the more "stuff" you add onto a boat, the more problems you will have. Of the complaints I generally hear disatifactions with towers (subsequent wiring issues), perfect pass and lighting issues. Im not sure who manufactures the towers and wiring harness for Skiers Choice, but it sounds obvious that there is a quality controll issue. In the defense of Skiers Choice, I think we are looking at an integration problem more than a quality flaw issue. A lot of the issues above are things that in all honesty should have been detected and fixed during the dealer prep. You didnt by any chance buy your Supra from Bell Marine in North Webster IN did you? They Suck. I think there official web address is www.imajackasswithmyheadinmyass.com. I carefully inspected manufacturing process for several inboard ski type boats and found them to be very similiar. To get the 'edge' they start offering these extra packages (towers, extra speakers etc) but the more you add the more potential to difficulty you attract. My advice... Keep it simple, dont add extra crap youll never use, and with any boat, purchase from a dealer that you can establish a good relationship with, even if it means driving a little further.

IndyMatt
10-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah.... The buzz from the floor in front of your engine box... Check your bilge pump. It has a float switch and sometimes debris (piece of carpet scrap, wire tie etc... can become lodged under the switch. May be responsible for noise.