PDA

View Full Version : Ski Pole Modification

chautauquasun
04-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I have an 84 supra rider with a center ski pole that has the T pin near the top. I just purchased a skylon pole and I am pretty sure it will not fit over the T. Does this T come out? Has anyone had to modify the stock ski pole to use an extended pole? It doesn't look like it is welded or molded in but it doesn't move. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

thanks
Dan

wiatowski
04-14-2012, 11:12 PM
You can tap the pin out.

jet
04-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Tap?? No I had to do full swing hammer pounding like 30 times. lol. Good luck!

Jetlink
04-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Tap?? No I had to do full swing hammer pounding like 30 times. lol. Good luck!Jet, don't work harder...you gotta work smarter. :D

KO21v
04-15-2012, 06:19 AM
I have heated the pin just a little then Drove it out with a block and hammer. This will work on most.

Also on one boat we just cut off both side and used a grinder the smooth finish. We were going to add an extended pylon on this one and the pin had been in so long that it had corroded and would not drive out.

csuggs
04-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Yeah. It's just pressed in, but over the years I'm sure corrosion has locked it in place. I for one would not hammer on the pole near the top. The leverage at that point could damage the floor and stringers where the pole support is attached. Cut and grind would be the preferred method. Use a cutoff wheel on your grinder. My $.02

wiatowski
04-15-2012, 01:30 PM
I must of had the exception... 3 hits and it was out.

86 century
04-16-2012, 01:34 AM
How about a hand held balljoint press.

Looks like a c clamp with a hole in one end.

KO21v
04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
How about a hand held balljoint press.

Looks like a c clamp with a hole in one end.

I bet that would work.

Sweaver
06-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Mine tapped out with about 5 easy pokes with my 22 oz estwing.

Sweaver

haugy
06-28-2012, 10:00 PM
I pulled my pylon, put it in a vise, and then hammered the living hell out of it. After it didn't work, I did the cut and grind method. Touched it up with some paint, and it was smooth and flush.

mr.jrc
06-28-2012, 10:44 PM
heating a pin with an interference fit in a hole will make the pin larger... you need to heat the pylon or freeze the pin to create clearance. heating will help free up corrosion, and so will some PB catalyst.

Salty87
06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
old thread

i hack sawed mine. didn't take very long.

Longitudinaldreamer
06-29-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't mean to steal a thread....but, does anyone have the dimensions of this pylon. I will be fabbing/machining my own for a 86 Salt and would like some rough measurements. IE, length, OD@ base, OD at top, length from top to taper, dia. of "T" etc. I am guessing it's made of steel? Any help would be great!

Salty87
06-29-2012, 12:36 PM
i tossed mine in the trash after rebuilding. why not just fab up a tower if you got the skillz?

Longitudinaldreamer
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
I like to slalom and tend to pull the boat around when hooked to the back. A tower is on my list but more towards the bottom. I would love a tower just to put the stinkin light on it:) This project is pushing the two year mark….much longer than I anticipated. Sounds like this is the norm.....

sydneyACE
06-29-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't mean to steal a thread....but, does anyone have the dimensions of this pylon. I will be fabbing/machining my own for a 86 Salt and would like some rough measurements. IE, length, OD@ base, OD at top, length from top to taper, dia. of "T" etc. I am guessing it's made of steel? Any help would be great!

It's actually made of aluminium. I will try and remember to get some dimensions when I get home for you.
As a rough guess, it's about 2" diameter and about 4" taller than the dog-house.
It goes through the floor and down into a steet bracket bolted to the stringers. There's prob about 1' below the floor.