PDA

View Full Version : Water pump leak

kvand347
04-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Had the boat out yesterday and popped open the doghouse to adjust my newly rebuilt carb and saw that the water pump was leaking. I just replaced the impeller and scaped all the rust on it with my gasket scraper a few weeks ago. It now apprears to be leaking out of the side of the housing. Anyone try using gasket sealer on the metal plate that rests between the housing?

foxriverat
04-15-2012, 11:05 AM
I usually put a small bead of silicone. Stops my leak

kvand347
04-15-2012, 11:13 AM
That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the reply! BTW--Was kind of in your area over Easter. Met up with family in Schaumburg that I haven't seen in 16 years! I grew up in Elk Grove Village..

csuggs
04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Isn't there supposed to be an o-ring there? Or am I thinking of a different spot?

Clint

kvand347
04-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Clint,

Yes there is an o-ring on the impeller side that seals to the metal plate. I think the part that is leaking is where the other side of that metal plate butts up against the metal housing. I put some gasket maker between both parts. Hopefully it will seal. I didn't have a chance to run it since there is a chance of flurries today. 72* yesterday and 48* today. Gotta love WI weather!! :mad:

Kevin