PDA

View Full Version : Supratraps

homer
04-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Were the later 80's Supras that didn't have the supratrap exhaust penetrations less prone to leaking? and therefore less susceptible to stringer rot? From my reading I'm gathering that is one of the major reasons it happens.

csuggs
04-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Yes - but you have to be aware that many of the 80's Supras were changed from traps to flaps. I don't know for sure when they were changed at the factory.

supra B
04-17-2012, 05:03 PM
try calling either supra or american skier tech support. theres a guy there they refer to as the "guru" of these older supras. can't remember his name

homer
04-20-2012, 01:44 PM
I talked Anthony "the guru" about these. He told me they started to use rubber flappers and get away from Supratraps in '87. Thought you might like to know. He was also very helpful and giving me a lot of insight into older Supras. He gave me Donnie's number in case I get one that needs stringer work done.

csuggs
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I talked Anthony "the guru" about these. He told me they started to use rubber flappers and get away from Supratraps in '87. Thought you might like to know. He was also very helpful and giving me a lot of insight into older Supras. He gave me Donnie's number in case I get one that needs stringer work done.

Good. Anthony Cooper is very knowledgable and just a super nice guy to deal with. Also, if I had stringer work to be done, Donny Bennett would be my guy.

Jetlink
04-20-2012, 02:38 PM
In speaking of the supertrapps, I am going to be yanking those off and replacing them with flappers that I bought end of last season. Anybody do this themselves? I am assuming that I need to seal them pretty well with like 5200 right? Here is a picture of what I got to replace the trapps with.

suprasam
04-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Ben......are you going to have to take out your back seat to put these on? I'm curious on how they can be tightened from only working on them from the outside if thats possible. Didn't mean to hi-jack.

Jetlink
04-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Not a clue really, I think I can seal them to the boat hull and then tighten down the hose clamp around the exhaust tube as it exits the hull, I haven't taken the trapps apart yet but I have a feeling that the right one has water behind it as my boat is always heavy to starboard even though I put most of my gear on the port side.

suprasam
04-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Ben,
If you don't mind let me know or post a thread on how you do it......I will be following you on what you do, because I need them changed also. Sorry your the test pig!

Supra-in-steamboat
04-21-2012, 08:56 AM
95369537 Sorry the pic quality is a bit off but you get the idea. Once you remove the outside of the trapps your left with the plate that seals to the boat. I for some reason can't find my pics of the port without the cover. Its pretty much open with the exhaust centered in the hole. I also considered the flappers and discussed pros/cons with some old schoolers on this site. All seemed to agree to just maintain your Super-trapps. I pull mine a few times a year, sometimes more. Very simple. Use PB blaster on the bolt/nut combo if it is rusty. Pull, rinse.replace. Stuff like sand, rust particles, impellor parts, can get stuck in the rings. Good luck.