PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Supra Launch SS Capacity

kevbo5566
04-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Folks,

I recently purchased a 2003 Launch SS with playpen bow and factory installed front and rear ballast. All of the literature I've ever read, including the original dealer brochure, lists the boat's capacity as 11 persons. However, the coast guard rated capacity is only 9 persons. Does anyone know where this discrepancy comes from? While 9 people is the most I would want to put on the boat comfortably, I'd really like to be able to squeeze 10 people on her. Is there a way to get a replacement coast guard rated capacity tag?

Thanks,

Kevin

Diggs
04-18-2012, 10:13 AM
When you are looking at the Supra literature are you looking at the 2003 Supra Launch or Launch SS. They probably have different capacities, cause the Launch is a deeper boat than the SS. Just a thought, but no idea if I am right.
Bottom line is, I would go off the Coast Guard plate and anything over 9 would be pretty darn uncomfortable in that boat anyway and probably just asking to get pulled over.

Diggs
04-18-2012, 10:17 AM
I went and reviewed the archives and see what you mean though... I still would not put more than 9 people in that boat.

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I have the same boat but it is a 2002, I am pretty sure my Coast Guard sticker says 11 persons, I will confirm this when I get home and send you a reply,
seems odd that 03 boat says 9 people are you sure it is a true SS?? as they are a sleeker hull than plain Launch and they are longer in length, so a Launch SS
a different hull. Can also check archives at Supra site and compare ratings between Launch and Launch SS

Sluggo
04-20-2012, 11:37 AM
I have the 05 22 SSV GG. I have the same issue where the Moomba version and SS version have higher capacities. I was told it was due to the boat coming with the larger balast system. This makes sense, but I agree that you could, and I have, fit more than 9 people on my boat. It is not very often and it is usually with half of them under the age of 16, but they still count as a person. I thought of just going by the weight, but I was told that it was a which ever came first kind of thing, not just the weight. So, I did some research, and found that legally, there is no federal or USCG requirement for a capacity sticker for boats over 20ft. I believe SC does it on all their models to qualify for some manufacture certification and over all saftey. I have not had anyone give me a hard time about it, but I have always thought I would just remove it and keep a copy of the federal regulation in the glove box just in case. The only thing I have not researched is if a Ohio or any other authority might require it for larger size boats.

kevbo5566
04-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the input. Yes, the boat is an SS with fore and aft ballast. I suppose the ballast may be the reason for the decreased capacity.

CornRickey
04-27-2012, 09:18 AM
When I bought my boat (2003 ssv) the seller said the capacity was 11 and when he registered it a couple years ago when the co stickers came out it came with another capacity sticker that said 10. I wouldn't have changed it if it was me.