PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace bilge pump. How is yours secured to the floor of the boat?

robdaniel1
04-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Larger boats use screws, but that scares me. Anybody screw the bilge to a think piece of plastic and then epoxy plastic to
the boat?

iwakeboard
04-18-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm pretty sure Supra/Moomba uses an adhesive like Plexus, like they use to secure the stringers/decks. I used Plexus when I had to replace my bilge pump, serious stuff but works like a champ.

Okie Boarder
04-18-2012, 10:55 AM
If it was already screwed down, go with that approach. Depending on the year, there should be a plate that isn't part of the outer hull that it was originally mounted to. When you screw it in, you will want to seal the spots well so water isn't leaching in there.

Salty87
04-18-2012, 11:58 AM
^ same as what okie said. the hull is pretty thick down there, you'd need some really long screws to get thru. still, you always want to seal any penetrations.

you might be able to re-use the mounting bracket. some pumps click into place but the bracket remains screwed down. of course, you'll need to buy the same pump as the one you're removing. might not be a good plan if you want to upgrade to a bigger pump.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-18-2012, 10:41 PM
There should already be a hole where the factory bilge pump was located. You may be able to get that to work