PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Problems

SkiLew
07-11-2005, 08:42 AM
I do not have a factory Supra trailer but it is a drive on trailer for an IB type boat.

The boat trailers great. But when I unhook the winch strap from the bow eye when unloading the boat, the bow drops down and rubs over the winch stand roller bow stop. At one point it rubbed so hard that it pulled the rub rail off at the bow.

I have tried floating the boat off with the trailer deeper in the water but this does not help.

Do I need to have the trailer modified to take care of this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Salty87
07-12-2005, 04:06 PM
my boat will do that if i have the trailer in too deep. when the trailer is too deep, the stern floats too soon and the boat doesn't come off the trailer at the correct angle. the stern lifts/floats and the bow drops cause the only thing holding it up is the bow rest. if the stern isn't floating, it's hitting the bunks and getting support from them.

if the trailer is up a little higher, the bow will be pulled back away from the bow stop more before the stern floats. that little bit stops the eye from hitting.

you probably don't need to go much higher, it's about the angle of attack. if you have someone to back the trailer, stand to the side at the ramp and you should notice the trailer really flatten out once it's completely under. that's too far and you'll probably hit again. have your buddy pull the trailer out a little bit and you should see the bow angle increase. you want to have some of that angle when backing off.

disclaimer: some ramps just suck.

SkiLew
07-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info. I will try this weekend.