PDA

View Full Version : Bummin'

csuggs
04-20-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm seriously bummin here fellas. For the first time in 3 years the Ohio River is georgeous in April. Sounds great right? The weather is good, the water is clear and clean, the levels are good . . . However, my boat is penned in the garage as I just had new concrete poured in the driveway this week. So it's gonna be another two weeks before I get out. :mad:

haugy
04-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Two weeks? What the hell? Did you get the slowest curing concrete known to man? I was able to drive on mine after 3 days.

suprasam
04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
I think now would be a good time to add that additional garage door on the back side of your garage. This way you can just back the boat out and all is good. I think all you would need would be a good blade on your circular saw. The door can be added back at a later date, although if you cut this good enough you might be able to put the wall back up.......silicon, and paint and your all good. Just a thought for ya.

csuggs
04-20-2012, 09:20 AM
I like that idea, except that the garage floor is about 7' above grade in the back- this is West Virginia where nearly Everything is built on a hill!
I thought 10 days was a little much myself, but that's what my contractor told me.

Okie Boarder
04-20-2012, 10:20 AM
That is a bummer. Agreed, that is a long time for concrete cure. Why didn't you pull the boat out before they poured?

csuggs
04-20-2012, 10:31 AM
That is a bummer. Agreed, that is a long time for concrete cure. Why didn't you pull the boat out before they poured?

And leave it outside????? If I did that we'd have thunderstorms and hail!

moombamania
04-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Did you pour Fiber-reinforced concrete or is it over rebar? He is messin with ya.... No Way on two weeks.

csuggs
04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Concrete with wire, about 5 inches. He said wait at least a week, 10 days is better. I said two weeks because that's the soonest I can get out with my schedule what it is. But I could go this afternoon if it wasn't for the concrete and that's why I'm bummin.

jet
04-20-2012, 11:26 AM
I have no idea how your feeling??95339534

several years ago. lol

csuggs
04-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks Jet - now I don't feel so bad! :p

sydneyACE
04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
I would say your contractor is being overly-cautious. I don't know jack about concrete, but yeah...
Pull that sucker out and get on the water! Just go really fast to limit the amount of time you spend on the new concrete!

I heard it's suposed to be in the 70s here this weekend, and we might even see 80 on Monday.
The water will still be cold as hell though. (Mountain lake at about 4600ft elevation.)
My boat's not REALLY ready yet, but... Let's be honest, will it ever REALLY be done?

haugy
04-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Some quick questions for you:

It's only 5 inches thick? You sure?

Were you there when they poured?

Did he say it would take one truck or two?

The reason I say this is my shop is 6" thick with 4000lb psi concrete with wire. Not the easiest to cure. I had a truck on it 4 days later. No problems. I called my concrete guy and asked him if he had ever heard of waiting 10 days, he said sure. Depending on the temperatures at the time of the pour. If it gets below 50 at night, and doesn't get above 65 in the day, it can take that long.

The reason about the trucks or were you there is he did warn me about something. He said if the guy tried to stretch the truck, meaning make more out of less. He probably added water to help thin the concrete out so it would last longer vs getting another truck. If he didn't plan correctly, or just didn't want another truckload he may have watered it down to make more out of less. That much water could make it take longer to cure. And makes it weaker.

Adding water is normal to the truck, but it doesn't take much to overdo it.

jet
04-20-2012, 09:41 PM
LOL, no but we eat a lot of bacon here.

csuggs
04-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Haugy, I think he's just being cautious. I was there for the second pour- 27yds in all over 2 days. I also know its at least 5" thick and more in a lot of places. No doubts about this contractor, he's A1. Besides, I've got the scoop on all the contractors around here as I'm the director of our local contractor association. :p

haugy
04-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Just checkin. I've had contractors try and pull some serious BS on me in the past. Still sounds like you're trapped. I say you call in a Sikorsky helicopter to air lift the boat out of the garage stat.

DAFF
04-21-2012, 12:46 AM
The contractor is using a safety factor with respect to the waiting time. Most people when you tell them 10 days they think a week. No mater what with the cooler nights and the ground still comparitively cold too, the extra time will not hurt one bit. If it was me let te concrete relax and do its thing nothing worse than a crack down the road. many do not know this but concrete never stops curing. Even after 50 years from the day it was poured it is still getting harder. Sure the rate slows down expendially but still none the less, harder is harder.

Jetlink
04-21-2012, 02:58 AM
I say you call in a Sikorsky helicopter to air lift the boat out of the garage stat.I know a guy who does ariel lifting...just saying man.

Okie Boarder
04-21-2012, 11:45 AM
And leave it outside????? If I did that we'd have thunderstorms and hail!

True...that's probably what would happen. Do you have a cover for yours, by the way?

csuggs
04-22-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a good cover, but I still don't like to leave t out! :-|

CornRickey
04-27-2012, 09:14 AM
To get yourself 4 sheets of plywood and leapfrog them, 2 a side to disperse the weight and don't tell the contractor. If Teresa a issue lime cracking (not caused by the trailer) he'll blame it on you.