PDA

View Full Version : water in the battery box?

matt k
04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Sometimes if I let it rain in my 87 comp, or after a lot of wet people sit on the passenger seat, the battery box ends up full of water. Is it supposed to have a drain hole? Whats under it? I don't want to drill a new drain hole and then have the water cause issues wherever it ends up...

bens250ex
04-23-2012, 07:52 PM
You wouldn't do any harm by drilling a couple small holes in it since you let it rain in it anyway. There is prob about a inch or so gap between the trey and hull . So be careful if you do drill holes.

bens250ex
04-23-2012, 07:55 PM
This is what's under the floor

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/bens250ex/DSCF0078.jpg

matt k
04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
You wouldn't do any harm by drilling a couple small holes in it since you let it rain in it anyway. There is prob about a inch or so gap between the trey and hull . So be careful if you do drill holes.

Thanks. It's not a regular occurrence, but everybody gets caught in the rain every now and then. Or at least I do, because it's often really calm just before it starts raining ;) It just seemed odd to me that the battery box could hold water more or less indefinitely. I will make a few small drain holes, I think.

Salty87
04-24-2012, 09:35 AM
have a lid for your battery box?

haugy
04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
have a lid for your battery box?

Kinda what I was thinking. You're circumventing one problem by dealing with another. The battery needs to be covered if water is getting in there. Not to mention where it's located, if something were to get on it, and get wet, like a towel.........That would be bad.

Get a battery box cover (easy to find) and protect the battery, and keep it dry.

matt k
04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
yeah, to be honest, I find the whole thing a little odd. My battery is under the observer's seat, in a fiberglass well. That's normal, right? The batter BARELY fits in the well, so there's no room to put it inside a normal plastic "battery box" with a lid. Maybe a better idea here is to move the battery into the front storage area and put it in a normal, plastic covered box, to better protect it. If I do that though, I still will have a well under the observer's seat that fills with water when wet people sit on the seat. Am I missing something obvious here, or is it a design problem? Am I the only person this happens to?