PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater - zinc required?

scootn112
07-12-2005, 11:40 AM
I will be taking my Supra Launch in saltwater for a week and I have been told by another boater that I should put a zinc collar on my drive shaft to prevent galvanic corrosion. Does anyone have experience with running in saltwater that can tell me whether or not I need to do this?

Salty87
07-12-2005, 04:30 PM
are you leaving it floating for the week? in a marina, at private dock?

you probably don't have much to worry about, especially if you're not leaving it floating. but, if you're going to leave it in the water, i'd go for it.

the marina will be the spot where there's a higher chance for corrosion. the other boats will have sacrificial anodes. your boat would be sacrificial before those boats's anodes, if there are conditions that lead to galvanic corrosion. your boat by itself will probably be ok, it's the mixture of so many boats and dock power that really creates a good environment for dissimilar metals to create a charge.

scootn112
07-12-2005, 04:39 PM
It will be at a dock on a canal and in the water. I think I will get the collar just to be safe. Thank you for the advise.

wotan2525
07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
wow salty... what a reply!

I'd never take my baby into salt water.... she has enough problems in the fresh!