PDA

View Full Version : Serious cavitation issues

TomMcCauley
04-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Hi all,

New Supra owner here. Former Malibu owner and love my 2012 22v, with one exception. It cavitates like crazy around turns. We currently have the Acme 1235 prop which should be ideal. Holeshot is excellent. But taking any turns, right or left, the boat is cavitating terribly. Don't even need to be particularly sharp turns either, although that certainly makes the problem worse. Boat / prop has 50 hours on it and has done this since day 1. We run 1100# in the center locker and about 500# in each rear. Was going to try another prop but everything I am seeing is that the 1235 is the prop to get. Could this just be a defective or improperly balanced prop? Could anything else be causing this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

docdrs
04-24-2012, 07:47 AM
I would check your alignment to eliminate it being a factor. Does the boat do it unweighted?

TomMcCauley
04-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the response. I have the dealer coming out with me today to check it out. We're going to try to swap props. To answer your question, I rarely run it unweighted so I don't have a great feel for that, but my recollection when I was breaking it in which of course was unweighted was that it did not do it then. Weight does seem to be a contributing factor but I have seen posts from some that have more weight and no cavitation. Does seem to kind of "grab an edge" when I am turning and as soon as that happens I know it will start to cavitate. Also seems to be worse in choppy water as we were in the other day, but it was really only mild chop. Not white capping or anything like that.

cadunkle
04-24-2012, 08:53 PM
That's a big prop at 14.5" so should have good bite. Check engine alignment, could be forcing the shaft out at an angle. Also check for bent/damaged fins. Could introduce some air or turbulence under there. Also try another prop if everything else looks good. The only cavitation problems I've had are on hole shot, which is typically from not enough grip causing excessive prop slip and boiling the water around the blades, introducing air bubbles which result in even more slip, and even more cooking of the water.So just throwing out what comes to mind for this type of problem. Alternatively... Don't turn as sharp?

DAFF
04-24-2012, 09:27 PM
I wonder if the boat is too front heavy. If the front centre keel is digging deeper than the prop it could perhaps cause an fold of air during sharp turns. I would try running empty to rule out the weight issue. If the issue disapeares then you know the problem.

TomMcCauley
04-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I know the prop does not have any bent blades. Can have the dealer look at the alignment, although that is supposed to be part of the 25 hour check...not sure if they did it or not. Will have to ask. Definitely turning wider fixes it, but often I don't have that luxury, and these aren't crazy tight turns. Lots of good ideas. All things to look at.

TomMcCauley
04-24-2012, 09:36 PM
And with respect to the front being too heavy, I thought about that since it seems to grab which crossed my mind as being related to the front being pushed down excessively, but everything I've heard said Supras like to be weighted more evenly, and I've got to be pretty close to 50/50. Maybe I'll fill the rear bags entirely which should make it 40/60 front to rear and see if that doesn't anything.