PDA

View Full Version : DIY Underwater Leds.

jet
04-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Hey guys. Just wanted to share my diy underwater led project with you. here you go. Finished my DIY leds this weekend. Had to finish it so I could get my gas tank back in. The leds seem VERY bright for the price and a GOOD substitute for the $600-$1200 option. No not equal but damn nice for the price. These arent to imprese just give a cool glow underwater.
cost:
$140 8-leds
$2.97 mount plate
$2.99 chrome spray paint
Not bad!!

jet
04-24-2012, 10:57 AM
The last of them.........................I will take of the mount and round off the corners this weekend probably. If anyone has a better mounting idea let me know. Im not afraid to change it. Thanks. And last here is Ozniums underwater website picture. So you can see the range on them. i will repost in a few months after i put mine in the water. 95829583958495859586

kvand347
04-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Cool man! Can't wait to see some night pics out on the water. Where did you get the LED's from?

jet
04-24-2012, 11:02 AM
see picture #7..........................

suprasam
04-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Jet, those look good. Did you have to take out your back seat, and gas tank to fit all that wiring in? Or did you have that out for another reason? I would love to put a set of LEDs on the back of my boat, but I have no desire to take out my rear seat and tank. I'm guessing you tied into your fuse box.....and then added an additional switch? Let me know if there is another way you can do it. Thanks LEDs looks good!

kvand347
04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Checked out the website. Just curious what the difference is between the spotlights you bought and the floodlights for the same price? I see the degree of light emitted is different...brightness difference?

haugy
04-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Neat idea. I'm running Ozniums in my CJ7 as rock lights. I will see if I can take two of the blood flood lights off and take them to the water for pics. Maybe give an idea of performance.

I still wish I had kept the Shadowcasters off my last boat. That was really stupid on my part I think.

jet
04-24-2012, 01:05 PM
The difference is the degree of light spred projected. Suprasam, you have to man..just do it!! Haugy, is that your jeep I saw on the internet with the green spotlights?? Im a jeep guy too! On my 3rd Jeep 97' grand with a few engine mods for performance and gas mileage and pulling power. thanks guys

oh, will speed is going to get back to me (right will) on the oznium website picture. He knows the guy that owns the boat so he might be checking on how clear the water was at the time of that picture was taken.

chrisk
04-24-2012, 01:34 PM
You're going to love that for the price, I have two of the spot lights that satisfy me and you're going to be running 8! Here's a pic of my lights in REALLY murky river water.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/572b1771.jpg

chrisk
04-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Also, get this in the Mods thread!

jet
04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Good to know chris. I feel better now. If it will go 5'-10' I will be happy for sure.

jet
04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Ok yall, Will Speed posted more pic's of his friends underwater leds on my FB page and I had to share them with you. These leds are $17 ea and you would be crazy if you didnt buy some. These pics were mad in usual brownish water not clear water. I am going to re-do mine in a horizontal line now just like these. Thanks Will. 96409641

cigars n scotch
04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Jet I am confused, did I miss something in this thread? Your last post, are these $17 LEDs the same as the ones you originally posted about?

jet
04-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Yes they are the same. $17.99 ea. Originally posted??

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-spotlight

cigars n scotch
04-30-2012, 10:59 PM
The post from 4/24. With the pics. Thanks for link.

DAFF
04-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Looks like six of them on the add pics on the rear ?? Some blue ones might be in my future.

haugy
05-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Those don't look like Supra Comps.

Until I see an unedited picture from you Jet, I won't be sold. For example, here is a pic of my old boat with ShadowCasters. But as you can see, while they are bright at hell, the exposure is dialed way up for cool visual effect. The same thing is done in those pictures above. They are turned up. So until I see real footage that's unedited, I'm still skeptical.

I don't doubt the Ozniums, I am going to be doing a thread on them in a couple days. I just know how hard it is to get good light out in these brown waters.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/P1050920.jpg

wspeedin
05-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Haugy, those are unedited pictures. The ones that I sent to Jet on facebook are pictures that are not edited at all. I can personally say that these lights are bright in the water. No, they are not as good as shadowcasters, but they are bright and less than $20 a piece.

chrisk
05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
The picture I put up of my boat is also unedited, taken with an iphone, and the boat is sitting in water that has about a foot or maybe two of visibility.

haugy
05-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Well, I'll have to take one of my extra's down to the water and test it.

Keep in mind the colors and lumen output when you go from red to blue. Blue being the lowest output light they have.

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light/tech

jet
05-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Easy guys..easy..lol. The water clarity for the day(windy, non windy) also plays into it and the different lakes play a role to. We are just saying they are great for the price. One other thing is that the naughtys leds were pointed stright back and I know that the back of our boats point downward say...4-5-6 degress?? this wont help our projection of the light at the surface. Cool, lets keep this thing going.

jet
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Man Haugy must be rollin-in-it! Pink conv vette and shadow casters on his comp!! That dude ROLLS hard!

haugy
05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
:D Not quite.

I'm good, I just like to make sure all the facts are clear. I see so many of these pictures taken and they are in a clear lake, or blue ocean and they rave about how great they are. Down here, our lakes are brown. There is one lake that is green, but at 10feet it's clear as ice. You take a picture of one boat in that lake, and then one in mine, and you would be amazed at the clarity difference.

That's why I try and shoot a picture of the water before, and then with the lights on it to show the true clarity.

I know people take my statements as harsh or being mean or arrogant. If something is factual, questioning it shouldn't be interpreted as mean or arrogant. :D Just curious about the details.

I'm going to run one of my Ozniums down to the lake tomorrow night and see how it does. I've got a blue flood style.

Jetlink
05-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I know people take my statements as harsh or being mean or arrogant.Hey Haugy, I found the perfect beer for you and if I make it to the Supra meet in July, I might bring it for you...lol 9666

cigars n scotch
05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Stone brewery, awesome beer!

Jetlink
05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Indeed it is...I'm not worthy though according to the bottle...:D

haugy
05-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Hey Haugy, I found the perfect beer for you and if I make it to the Supra meet in July, I might bring it for you...lol 9666

:D :D So.......do I tell you that Stone brewery is one of my favorites? I will admit though I haven't tried the Bastard yet. LOL LOL

I'm really not a jerk, I just play one on the internet. :)

Jetlink
05-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Haugy = Internet tough guy :p

Okie Boarder
05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm really interested to see how these turn out and look in the water. jet, maybe we can get together once or twice this year and I can see them in person.

Bastard is a decent beer...really strong in flavor...a little strong hoppy flavor and not really my style.

haugy is just a very matter of fact, no BS type of guy...nothing wrong with that.

wspeedin
05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I cant remember if those ligths that installed on those nautiques are flood lights or spotlights. I will have to check with my buddy who does the installs.

Again, I am going to reiterate the fact that those pictures that I sent Jet are 100% legit and unedited. We ride around in the saem clarity water as most of you on this site do. It is water that is murky, dirty and dark. The amount of visiblity in the water is about a foot. Yes, I cannot wait to see them on Jet's boat!

Please understand that this product is NEVER going to be as bright as ShadowCasters, but for $20 each you cannot beat this deal. The lights come in an array of colors and I have seen no difference in output from the color swap. Red is just as bright as blue as green as purple as white as...you get the picture? I have personally rode behind many boats with these lights installed on the back and they light up a surf wave GREAT!!!

I will be going up to WaveNoize Audio & Lighting this weekend and I will find a boat that has them installed and snap some pics of the mounting. I would take a picture of them in the water but I would jsut be wasting my time since you can obviously see what they look like in those UNEDITED photos.

haugy
05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
I cant remember if those ligths that installed on those nautiques are flood lights or spotlights. I will have to check with my buddy who does the installs.

Again, I am going to reiterate the fact that those pictures that I sent Jet are 100% legit and unedited. We ride around in the saem clarity water as most of you on this site do. It is water that is murky, dirty and dark. The amount of visiblity in the water is about a foot. Yes, I cannot wait to see them on Jet's boat!

Please understand that this product is NEVER going to be as bright as ShadowCasters, but for $20 each you cannot beat this deal. The lights come in an array of colors and I have seen no difference in output from the color swap. Red is just as bright as blue as green as purple as white as...you get the picture? I have personally rode behind many boats with these lights installed on the back and they light up a surf wave GREAT!!!

I will be going up to WaveNoize Audio & Lighting this weekend and I will find a boat that has them installed and snap some pics of the mounting. I would take a picture of them in the water but I would jsut be wasting my time since you can obviously see what they look like in those UNEDITED photos.

Didn't mean to rile you up man. I wasn't trying to compare them to ShadowCasters. I just used the image of mine to show how an image can be dialed up for effect. Wasn't trying to say they aren't good or anything like that. I just like to make sure if someone does a project they don't go into it, and then come out disappointed due to misled conception. As I stated in my post, I thought the images exposure rate was dialed up. To be honest I still do. Exposure is adjusted in the camera, not photoshop. But that's my opinion. Not me saying, I know for a fact that those images are doctored. Just what I observe. I look at a cloud, and you say you see a squirrel, I may say I see boobs. It's observation.

And not to be a buzzkill, but the light output is not the same, even Oznium says so. The graph that I linked shows the lumen output. The blue lights are the lowest. I even talked to Oznium about it. Blue is the hardest light in the spectrum to gain output from. I only said that so people would understand the difference. The pictures you show are the green and red lights, better output. So if you were like me, you might think about placement and quantity beforehand, rather than find out after the fact.

It's all good man, I didn't challenge you after you said that you were there. Don't get all serious on us all of a sudden.

http://www.bronxalehouse.com/ordereze/images/items/IMAGE5.JPG

wspeedin
05-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Oh man, its all good. I completely understand what you are saying about the photos but i was jsut wanting to be specific about the conditions and what not. I cannot comment on whether or not the exposure on the actual camera is turned up or not since I was not the one taking the pictures at the time. However, I can attest to them looking very bright and clear in the water in real life.
As far as the light output vs color, i would expect those kind of number variables in all light maunfacturers. What I was trying to point out was that if you wanted to go with blue instead of red or whatever than you should. You really will not notice that much of a difference. Maybe you could put an extra bulb in the build to accomodate that particular color? who knows.

I think jet is installing red leds so he will get the brightest of the colors I would assume. I have seen all the colors installed and red is by far the nicest looking. Now, one thing I have alwasy wondered was how long will they last? I have seen them installed on a boat, actually the white nautique with the NC State logo, that has had them since 2008 and they seem to be just as bright as the day they were installed. However, that boat doesnt sit in the water overnight and always stays in a garage. I would think that if they are exposed to the elements for a long length of time than they may not hold up to well...but again, who knows.

haugy
05-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm actually wondering if you did like your buddies, and stagger them along the stern, but do a spot light, then a floodlight, then a spotlight, etc, etc. I wonder if that would create a more broad effect versus direct beams?

I'm going to take that blue flood light down to the docks tonight and see how it works.

cigars n scotch
05-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I really don't like the profile of that light that jet posted, it seems way too bulky to me. I assume that's a "floodlight"? Is the oznium "spotlight" a lower profile?

I'm just not sure of having that bulbous housing sticking out on my transom. I'd love to see the installation pics of those two boats from the oznium website in daylight to get an idea of what they look like from profile view as well as head on.

Will any chance you can take those and post since you said your heading up to that store?( I assume the boats are there?)

Jet did you finish your install?

jet
05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I did but now Im going to change them like on the white boat. I thought a clust would be ok since the shadow casters are like that but a wide spetrum would be better I think. Im working on other stuff now but will get back to it later. Im going with red because my boats red. i didnt like the red at 1st but Dusty talked me into why they are a great color. I really like all of the colors now but red is my boat color. I am also doing a transom stip too so more pics later.

wspeedin
05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah, no problem, I will take some pictures when I am up there this weekend and post them in this thread.
They really arent too bulky. They are about an 1 1/2 in diameter and they probably protrude about an inch from the transom. When they are mounted under the swim platform you really cant even tell that they are there.

Haugy, I am thinking that the one that he installs are the spotlight version but I am not certain. Im thinking that I had asked him that question before and his answer was something along the lines that the flood jsut wasnt dense enough to go through the water and so that the spotlight version put out a good projection and then just put them spaced out correctly to fill the void/gap. However, I could be wrong about that. I will check with him this weekend about it.

sybrmike
05-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Just though I'd throw in an unsolicited general comment on light output vs visible light underwater. Don't be suprised if the blue lights actually looked brighter & throw farther than the red in the water (even with less lumen output). Water absorbs the different light frequencies preferentially in order of the rainbow. Red and Yellow are absorbed first with green and blue last. Don't know how the specific Oznium's will compare, but if they were of equal output - the blue would project farther underwater.

jet
05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Thats what I heard that red had low output. NOT ME..the led's!!

jet
05-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Re-did my led's this weekend. Didnt like the way the looked after it was done. After talking more with Mr Speed and looking at the pictures from Oznium, I did like the spread of the lights going all the way across insted of a cluster or a downward blast of light on the other mfr's. Im still 1-2 months away from being on the water so night time pic's will havce to wait. Hope you like them. Jet

dusty2221
05-22-2012, 12:00 PM
I like version 2 alot! Anxious to see how these perform. You need to hurry up!

chrisk
05-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Jet, disregard my PM, hadn't seen the install yet, you're gonna love it!

jet
05-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys. I cant wait to park her at night and listen to the new tunes and check out all the red. lol

I really like the red now. (thanks dusty)

Okie Boarder
05-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Coooooool!

haugy
05-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Holy moly, did you drill little holes for each one? How did you fasten them? Epoxy?

jet
05-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes, with lil SS screws and 4200. I wouldnt do this to a brand new boat but thats what makes mine FUN!! Everything is a upgrade!! lol

DAFF
05-22-2012, 09:54 PM
I think a computer driven light show upgrade might be in Jets future... All those lights should be put in timing with the beat of the tunes. I want to do all blue on mine. It allready looks like a police boat on the water with all tower and square speakers. Blue lights would be the finishing touch.

jet
05-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Rave party at my cove!! lol