PDA

View Full Version : changing ignition coil

suprasam
04-26-2012, 09:02 PM
I am changing my ignition coil, a friend has a brand new one for a mercruiser/crusader/omc. Does anyone know if I can use this one? Thanks for any help!

lively
04-26-2012, 10:00 PM
yeah you should be fine , i would double check output Voltz but im pretty sure they usually are the same

DAFF
04-26-2012, 10:12 PM
The only thing which might change is the connections on the top of the coil and the main coil wire plug style.

csuggs
04-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Don't throw away your old one until you're sure the new one works. I could tell you a story.

suprasam
04-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Lol....not to much confidence, sounds like sure try it. "Should work" lol if not ur screwed Haha, thanks guys. Hopefully it works

lively
04-27-2012, 08:47 AM
it will work man , it just sends signal and ground with fire in the center that plugs into your cap , there are some that have different output voltage for like High wire MSD , but
if that one is a stock for a merc then it will work ... put you do want to make sure if you have points and condenser you have to use a resistor to keep the fire hot ... i have a mallory distributor and a sierra coil , im not to sure but it might be the same one you have ... ill double check part numbers when i get ...

OUI
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
There are two types of coils -- one with an internal resistor and one that needs an external resistor. Make sure you have the right one or it wont work.

suprasam
04-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks....ok I just did a search on the new part#, this one doesn't have a resistor it uses an external one. So I'm guessing this one wont work. Thanks for the help.

*** glad I double checked everything. My motor does have an external resistor, I honestly never knew what in the heck that thing was on the back of the motor. Well now I do, so I will be installing my new coil tonight. Thanks for all the help! Damn glad this forum is here, lol although some of you reading this are/or should be shaking your heads at me and saying wow this man is all messed up! Oh well roll with the punches, my arse will be on the lake this weekend!

86 century
04-28-2012, 11:13 AM
With the key in the run position use a dvm to check voltage at the positive on your coil.
Make sure the resistor is not bad.

The resistor is to drop the voltage to your points. If you have an electronic convertion may not need it.

csuggs
04-29-2012, 09:39 PM
It also depends on what type of electronic ignition you have. I went through this all last year and I think I had to measure the resistance with my meter to determine that I had to use the old stock ballast resistor. I have the old Pertronix, I think the newer Pertronix does not require it. Rick at skidim can tell you for sure. But since you didn't buy their parts . . .

suprasam
04-30-2012, 10:44 AM
I put the new coil on last night, I started to finish a couple of odds and ends on it that I have been putting off. I didn't get a chance to test it in the water or on the hose. Hopefully tonight I will be able to pull it out of the garage and run her on the hose to make sure its all good. I also hope to see my new temp gauge working also at the same time. If all goes well, I might be working a half day Friday and on the lake all day!