PDA

View Full Version : I need some information

88SupraGirl23
07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Now don\'t knock me down because I don\'t know this stuff...

I just bought my first boat 3 weeks ago. It\'s a 1988 Supra (not sure of the model), it\'s 23\', and it has a 454 in it. Thats pretty much all I know about it. The person I bought it from didn\'t have the manuel to it, so I\'m kind of in the dark on certain things I would like to know.

1) I\'m wondering the weight of the boat? Also the tounge weight?

2)Is there somewhere I can purchase large Supra Decals for the side? The previous owner didn\'t like the rainbow decal so he removed it. I\'m looking for something like the new boats have.

3) I don\'t wakeboard but I have friends who do. What would be the best placement for the wakeplate? Would this affect skiers and/or tubers if the plate is in the placement for a wakeboarder?

4) What is the max weight that should be on the boat?

5) I want to purchase a tower for it, and I\'m wondering what tower is best fit for this boat. I'm not to into the universal collapsible ones.

6) Loading the boat is a PAIN IN THE @$$. The previous owner told me it would be a 3 person job minimum and he wasn\'t lying. When you are approaching the dock and are lined up just the way you would do on any boat, the back end kicks out bad. What can I do to help this be easier.

7) Loading on to the trailer is a bit of a chore too. There is no guide bars on my trailer, do you prefer them or not? Let me know your opinion cause I\'m debating on getting them.

Thats all for now, I\'m sure there will be more to come. I love this boat and I don\'t think I would buy any other brand. Being that I\'m only 19 I\'m sure there will be a few I will go through. Haha!

Thanks a bunch!!!
Ashley

delbert
07-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Supragirl,

The boat is likely either a Saltare (open bow) or Pirata (closed bow) if it is 23 feet without platform. Salty or others on this board would be more knowledgeable on this model.
You can get the newer decals through a supra dealer.
Moving the wakeplate up is typically better for wakeboarding. If wake curls then may need to adjust weight forward or move wakeplate down.
Not sure on max weight. Should have a plate that states max number of people. The plate will also list max weight in lbs.
I had a monster tower on an older sunsport and it was great quality but it is considered universal. There is a site that sells the Supra tower or a look alike. I am not sure if they make an exact fit for the Saltare though.
You should be able to learn to trailer the boat with some more practice. The boat will pull to one side when you hit reverse. Drive the boat to the side of the trailer so that when you hit reverse it pulls you into the middle (Where you want to be). Wind and current add to the fun.
I had guide bars on both my Supra trailers and they come in handy. I have never loaded without the guid bars but can see how the lack of these could make it more difficult.

Congrats on the new boat

Salty87
07-14-2005, 02:33 PM
hi ashley,

welcome to the board, congrats on your boat.

i have a saltare, the open bow version of the 23'...1987.

delbert covered most of the basics. i can add some of the specifics.

boat weight is around 3500 lbs dry. so add more for gas, gear, ice chest, etc.
i moved my wakeplate all the way up when i got it and haven't moved it since
max weight is something like 13 people or 1900 lbs, my sticker is all scratched up

i have a tower but it was made locally, in austin. i've seen saltares with monster towers and they don't look bad. my tower doesn't fold down which sux.

loading takes some practice. i'd suggest going slower. if you have to slap it into reverse to avoid hitting then you're probably going to end up off line. you might do better with a different prop if you're running an old style 3 blade. i've got an acme 4 blade and can't say anough good things about it.

guide posts on the trailer help a ton. they turn a near miss into a score. mine are flexible so they act like absorbers as well. i've got pics in the owners section...

good luck and let us know how it's going!

wotan2525
07-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Between Salty and myself we should be able to cover just about every inch of this boat. Where are you in the country?

1) With the trailer mine is alroud 5000lbs. I have no clue on the tongue weight.... DAMN HEAVY.

2) A supra dealer can order you the stock decals. I stripped all the decals off mine and it looks great. If I was going to add graphics, I would get some custom made.

3) Mine is pretty even with the rear of the boat, but I should really move it up to help the wake.

4) I think it's 10 people, but my sticker is also scratched off. I wouldn't worry about it, these boats are TANKS.

5) I have a custom made one ...... monster makes a good tower, but boss towers are gorgeous and $$$$.

6) You just need practice docking. Keep in mind reverse ONLY goes back to the right, and you can only steer while the prop is moving. I usually dock with the boat on the right of the dock, come in with the nose and then (make sure everyone is seated) give a couple quick SURGES with the reverse to pull the ass end in. It's tricky, but you'll get it. One of the great things about an inboard -- it really is.

7) You need some padded guide bars. When I trailer my boat everyone thinks it is a disaster the way I come on and then the trailer bunks knock me totally catty-whompas. I just chill for about 2 seconds, let the guide bars steer me, and then pull straight on and up to the hook. Without the guidebars I'm pretty sure the ass end would float sideways right off the end of the trailer and you would be SCREWED. Get some guide bars with good pads, you'll be fine.

And I thought I was good buying a Saltare at 21. Congrats Ashely!!

Rob

88SupraGirl23
07-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by wotan2525

6) You just need practice docking. Keep in mind reverse ONLY goes back to the right, and you can only steer while the prop is moving. I usually dock with the boat on the right of the dock, come in with the nose and then (make sure everyone is seated) give a couple quick SURGES with the reverse to pull the ass end in. It's tricky, but you'll get it. One of the great things about an inboard -- it really is.

OKAY THE REPLIES I'M GETTING ARE AWESOME AND I'M GOING TO PRINT THEM ALL OUT FOR LITTLE REMINDERS. KEEP THE HELP COMING, I COULD NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH ADVISE. I'VE NEVER BEEN A BOATER, BUT I DECIDED TO TAKE THE RISK AND BUY ONE. EVERYONE TOLD ME THE BEST DAYS OF OWNING A BOAT IS THE DAY YOU PURCHASE AND THE DAY YOU SELL. I STILL TOOK THE RICK AND I'M LOVING IT.

I'M QUOTING #6 BECAUSE I'M A LITTLE CURIOUS. I'M THINKING IT MAY BE A TYPO, BUT I'M JUST MAKING SURE. YOU SAID YOU DOCK ON THE RIGHT OF THE DOCK?? IF REVERSE PULLS TO THE RIGHT WOULDN'T YOU WANT TO BE ON THE LEFT IF YOUR DRIVING UP? JUST ASKING....LET ME KNOW!

I'M GOING TO LOOK INTO THE MONSTER TOWERS CAUSE I SAW ONE AND IT LOOKS GREAT!

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION, I PURCHASED A BREAK AWAY FOR TUBING (MAKING THE TUBE STAY WITH THE RIDER) BECAUSE I WAS TOLD IT WAS REQUIRED. I PAID $30 FOR IT AND THE FIRST DAY OF USE IT SNAPPED. I'M GOING TO RETURN IT BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY KNEW OF A GOOD SOLID ONE.

ASHLEY

wotan2525
07-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Yep... I typed that wrong.... dock on the left, as the boat goes back to the right.

Never heard of a break-away for tubing.... I just use an old ski rope tied right to the tube, anything else sounds like a scam.

I think if you've never boated before you should probably do a really geeky thing and find out about a local boating safety course -- they will teach you how to navigate obstacles and be safe and courteous to other drivers. Of course if you go out on smaller lakes or have a private lake, this might not make sense.

I boat on the St. Croix River that is the border of MN/WI. The part we use is probably 20-30 miles long and has stumps, sandbars, shallow water, and rocks that you could hit if you didn't either know the water, or know how to obey nav buoys. The class might cost you $40 but just hitting a sandbar or a rock with your boat could end up costing hundreds!

The other advise I have for you is that when I'm boating I often have the boat full of people, and they are always trying to distract me -- when I'm driving, that's the only thing that matters. Often times I'll be so busy trying to avoid jetskis and tubers that my friends will think I'm being a jerk for not getting them a beer or changing the cd -- I just tell them it's my boat and my rules. There aren't many rules, but some of them are that passengers help pay for gas, beer, and wipe the boat down after a session.

Other than that... learn how to maintain that boat and it will last you forever! We'd love to see pictures.

Here's mine in my parents driveway -- the engine is out and in a billion pieces right now, but hopefully in another week I'll be back on the water and living the life again. You can see how ghetto my tower is, but it's stiff, and it's tall, and it gets the job done!

Rob

http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/7074/7624704499733009ol.jpg

Salty87
07-18-2005, 12:51 PM
if i get the choice of left or right side of a pier, i'd pick the left side. you picked up on it ashley, the quick hits of reverse will push the stern to the right and the dock.

being a first timer, and with a big boat too, you'd probably get some help out of slow speed practice. if you get the time and an area of water that's quiet, try tossing a fender into the water and moving the boat around it slowly. practice backing up to it on each side, spinning 360's around it. there's a way to back up to the left but you have to use some bursts forward to do it, give that a shot.

all of those will come in real handy at the docks and also when rafting up. nothing looks worse at a raft-up than smacking into somebody's boat....and nothing looks better than threading the needle in a big azz boat without even needing to get out of your seat.

pic:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/thewholecrewcomingin.jpg

DKJBama92Mariah
07-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Welcome SupraGirl,

I agree that docking with the pier on the starbord side of the boat is the only way to fly. It took a while, but i got my method down perfect. Actually, our dealer taught it to me and my dad when i was just 12 when be bought the boat new in '92. I will actually approach the pier at a 45 degree angle with the pier on the left side of the boat. I crank the steering hard left and give it about 8-10 secs of forward thrust which swings the stern around. Once the stern come around, i crank the wheel hard right and give it about 3-4 secs of thrust to stop the rotation. Then i just hit reverse and it pulls boat gracefully up against the pier.

Its kind of a convoluted process, but i works every time. Its also just looks cool; passengers jaws drop when the boat comes the rest right next to the dock. When im coming in with the pier on the left side, most folks think im about to ram the pier and they start running around to try and catch the boat.

As far as the decals are concerned, unfortunately, i dont think supra sells them anymore. I called for some on my '92 when i got it painted 2 years ago and they didnt have them anymore. I eneded up making a rubbing of the old decals and having a local sign shop custom cut new ones for me out of some really tough vinyl. With the paint and new decals, the boat eneded up looking like the day we bought it and with a good coat of wax twice a season has held up like iron.

Salty, thats a beautiful boat. I dont think i've seen any pics of your before. I cant help but be jealous of saltare owners because yall have so much more freeboard than the mariah. It looks like you could REALLY load that thing down and make a SICK wake. with anything over 8 people, my boat starts sitting too low in the water for me be comfortable. Its SOOO easy to take a roller over the bow in mine; even with only 5-6 people on board.

Congrats on your new boat SupraGirl and post some pics when you get a chance.

Cheers,
DKJ

selle92
07-19-2005, 04:27 PM
wotan2525, - were close.. Im in Prior lake, MN.

anyways,
am I the only one who like the right side when docking?

I like to be able to grab the dock myself after the approach.

I just push away from the dock when heading out and haven't had a problem yet. Unless I'm reading you all wrong.

Though, left side is probably better with a crew in the boat.- I still like the right better though.

selle92
07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
- think I read that wrong. I was thinking left side when walking out on the dock....

wotan2525
07-19-2005, 11:37 PM
actually in that pic of salty, he is demonstrating my absolute favorite docking manuever -- coming in on the end of the dock. This insures that you are in the deepest possible water and can keep you from running too far forward and wrecking your prop.

Rob

Salty87
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
pretty close, wotan

that's a friend's slip, we stop there to let the dogs play. when we do, i'll back into the slip so the bow can take on any rollers rather than having them slap against the transom. also makes for a quicker escape like selle was talking about.

it's pretty easy to do but you have to be sure the water is deep enough.

DKJ, thanks...i used to have more pics on this site but they got purged off the host site. so i started up a photo bucket account...good post in the pride n joy section.

88SupraGirl23
07-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Thank you all so much. Your information is very helpful. You all are amazing. I found out the boat is a Saltare.....it says it on the side....(written in white on the cream color) hmmm? Here's the pictures, let me know what you think!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/cowgirl_up_124/Picture017.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/cowgirl_up_124/Picture018.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/cowgirl_up_12http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/cowgirl_up_124/Picture019.jpg4/Picture022.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/cowgirl_up_124/Picture021.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/cowgirl_up_124/Picture023.jpg

Juice75
07-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Very nice, SupraGirl! Hope it brings you years of enjoyment.

Salty87
07-25-2005, 10:15 AM
that's a sharp looking rig! looks like someone was taking care of it.

keep us posted on how it's going...

wotan2525
07-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Whoa... .what a beautiful boat. I'm so jealous now because your carpet looks incredibly clean, and mine is yick! The entire thing looks beautiful.

Don't feel obligated to answer, but what did you end up paying for it?

Rob

88SupraGirl23
07-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by wotan2525

Whoa... .what a beautiful boat. I'm so jealous now because your carpet looks incredibly clean, and mine is yick! The entire thing looks beautiful.

Don't feel obligated to answer, but what did you end up paying for it?

Rob

Well, I looked up the blue book price on it and it was approximately $12000. And I did some research around the web and thats what they were selling for. The man wanted $12,500. I got him down to $10,500. So I think I got a good deal.

Thanks for the complements. I need to catch a picture of it in the sunlight, to give better justice of the exterior. I just got back from a weekend at a lake and I didn't snap any photos of it in the water and I'm kickin my self in the butt for it. :(

wotan2525
07-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Yep... for the condition that it's in, I would say you got a good deal.

Mine is quiet a bit rougher than yours is -- missing some interior parts, the two doors between the windshield, my windshield is a little loose, and my carpet isn't nearly as nice. I paid about $10k but I did get a tower, bimini top, canvas trailering cover, and a 3000watt stereo.

Of course... my engine blew up after about 15 hours.

I'm hopefully going to dip mine in the water this afternoon.

cwsaltare88
08-04-2005, 12:48 AM
SupraGirl,

That's a great looking rig, I'd say you got a steal. I also have an 88 Saltare, it's a great boat. I've made a few improvements: removed the old rainbow stripes, installed a Monster Tower (wouldn't go any other way), installed a hot water shower (great for the cooler days), some stereo stuff (a work in progress), etc...

Like everyone else has been emphasizing, I definately recommnd getting to know your boat and making sure you're safe on the water. One thing that I recomend as well is making sure your trailer is up to snuff. I recently had to replace my hitch as the master cylinder in my trailer brake assembly was shot. I would make sure your trailer brakes are working properly as well as all the trailer lights. This is something that I took for granted until my trailer brakes went out, this makes towing your boat quite dangerous.

Another thing you may want to keep in mind is the teak in your boat, it is a good idea to treat all the teak at least once or twice a year with teak oil. There are other products out there that last longer than teak oil, you may want to look into those for a possible alternative.

My boat is rated at 10 people or 2,165 lbs. (people and gear). I tend to push this a little (or a lot) when we are wake surfing although, I don't recommend doing so. When waited down you have to be careful not to swamp the bow, it just takes learning how to approach oncoming waves and at what speed.

Good luck with the new purchase, let us know how it works out.

cw