PDA

View Full Version : throttle and trans cable help

Kracker
04-28-2012, 11:43 PM
anybody have a diagram or pic of how this shud be hooked up. something happened from last yr to now. cables not workin right. throttle cable sticking and trans not working right. 91 sunsport

Salty87
04-29-2012, 09:13 AM
what's not working?

there are parts inside the throttle assembly that can wear out and there are fittings inside the engine compartment that can wear out.

i'm guessing the throttle since they both stopped working. have you removed it from the panel?

mapleleaf
04-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I had a similar problem at the end of last season, where the ignition wouldn't turn over unless I loosened the mounting screws for the entire throttle beside the drivers seat and wiggled it around. Haven't tried to chase it down yet, but I'm guessing I have something worn out and or an adjust to find neutral with my trans cable??

Kracker
04-29-2012, 10:47 AM
I cant get the handle adjusted right. had to take cables loose from handle and push/pull them to get back to trailer. works fine this way which leads me to believe its in the handle.

mapleleaf
04-29-2012, 10:54 AM
sounds like the same scenario...hopefully a pro will chime in here.....

Kracker
04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
should the actuall cable be exposed? or should it all be in the casing? If i hold the casing and dont let the cable slip its ok. but when i put it back together there is nothing to hold the casing.

mapleleaf
04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
truth be told this was my weekend to get the boat dewinterized and I've gotten to it (don't ask!). I won't know til I'm looking at it again....

DAFF
04-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Check the cable where it mounts to the trans. Sometimes it can get steped on or squished/bent making the shifter hard to work. Make sure you have everything free and well lubed. More than likely new cables would be the best solution for the do get stiff with age.

Salty87
04-29-2012, 05:47 PM
should the actuall cable be exposed? or should it all be in the casing? If i hold the casing and dont let the cable slip its ok. but when i put it back together there is nothing to hold the casing.

can you take a pic? it's been a while since i've had mine apart but yes there should be something that holds the casing end of the cable. from what i recall it's just rubber. it slips into place in the throttle mechanism. otherwise, if nothing holds the casing in place, you can't move the cable w/in.