PDA

View Full Version : Supra Vision - GPS question

OnlyButter
04-29-2012, 08:30 AM
On my 21v, is there something I gotta do to get the GPS map to work? It tracks your location and everything seems to work fine except I cannot get it to show me the actual map. I've tried zooming in and out and it just shows a yellow screen with an arrow showing my location.

Do I have to hookup a GPS or should it work on its own?

cigars n scotch
04-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Your dealer didn't walk you through how to use it? Or did you buy it used? What does the manual say, have you read that?

I can't help other than to say check the manual.

DAFF
04-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I bet the map portion of the GPS has been removed. Each region has a specific data base where the waters are marked out in great detail. To have a generic map of all North Americia would be very spotty at best. I would Google the serial numer and version of the GPS on the boat for more info.

h2oboy22
04-29-2012, 08:00 PM
What year model is it? My understanding is that pre-2012 models only have a limited number of lakes loaded on them. I think your dealer should be able to upgrade your chip to the newer one (for a cost) if your local lakes aren't on there. I know a few of the nearby lakes are on mine but not all of them.

jdub667
04-29-2012, 09:10 PM
On my 21v, is there something I gotta do to get the GPS map to work? It tracks your location and everything seems to work fine except I cannot get it to show me the actual map. I've tried zooming in and out and it just shows a yellow screen with an arrow showing my location.

Do I have to hookup a GPS or should it work on its own?
Stupid question but are you on the water when you are checking your location, only reason I ask is mine does the same thing in the driveway but in the water it maps the lake perfect.

OnlyButter
04-30-2012, 08:20 AM
I bought it used and it's a 2011. Guess I'll check with the dealer...

Diggs
04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
jdub667 might be on to something. Have you done this at the lake or in your garage? Mine does that when I am at home in my garage.

randyr12
04-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I just bought a 2011 and the lake I test drove it on (Lake Lanier) the map came up. But we took it to another lake in Georgia (Lake Allatoona) and the map did not come up. Can you download any info to the gps system or is it all disk or chip based???

kjkimball
05-04-2012, 07:07 AM
The Supra vision uses Navionics HotMap premium cards. These are available from various retailers. I upgraded mine from a card I purchased from Navionics.com webstore. You need the Premium card on SD format. It is available in several regions. Pick the one for your area, Georgia is the same as FL which is MSD/PREM-S6 for the Murphy Helmview system which is what the Supra Vision is based on. Price is $149. I did try to buy this from several other Navionics dealers and had 2 of them shipped to me and returned that were NOT the MSD format and would not fit in the unit. The proper one with the part number starting with MSD is a micro SD card that is shipped in an SD card adapter that is installed in the unit. The other 2 places had stock numbers wrong on their inventory and shipped CF compact flash cards instead.

On 2010 ans 2011 Supra vision systems, you need to remove the display to change the card as the slot in on the lower front face of the unit hidden by the billet aluminum dash plate. I was able to remove the display from the back of the aluminum plate without pulling the entire billet assembly. There are large phillip head screws holding the display to the billet and can be accessed by laying on your back and head under the dash. Total time to do the swap was 15 minutes. Will take longer if you have to pull the aluminum billet from the helm pod. If you are wondering why the slot is on front and hidden, the unit is based on the HelmView plotter used on fishing boats where a front mount slot is a great thing so the maps can be changed easily for fishing in various regions of the country.

Another tip. When you get the card, you can see in through a window on the BACK of the package without breaking the cellophane package wrap. Look at it and make sure it is the MSD/SD looking card before you open it. I didn't know that for the first CF card I got and luckily, had a vendor that accepted it back because of their mixed up inventory.

My understanding is that the 2012 7" wide screen version of Supra Vision has the card slot on the back of the case instead of on the face which makes map updates no more work than swapping cards in a camera.

kjkimball
05-04-2012, 07:14 AM
I just bought a 2011 and the lake I test drove it on (Lake Lanier) the map came up. But we took it to another lake in Georgia (Lake Allatoona) and the map did not come up. Can you download any info to the gps system or is it all disk or chip based???

The base card that ships in the unit has some data from all over the country. We had the same issue you saw on your test. One of our lakes was on the stock card but pass thru the canal to the next lake and you drove off into the yellow. that is why I decided to update the card. The bonus is the new card not only has all our lakes, it has greater detail including docks on the maps. The MSD/PREM-S6 premium cards come with a year subscription to updates. Not sure what the reup charge is after a year.

randyr12
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
I called my dealer and they are checking into updating the current chip via a flash drive. I will let you guys know if that works.

kjkimball
05-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I called my dealer and they are checking into updating the current chip via a flash drive. I will let you guys know if that works.

Randy, Maybe. I was told by both SC and Murphy, the maker of the Vision system, that for GPS data, it was a card change. The story I got was that USB port near the helm is for Vision system software updates and changes not for map updates. Like if the engine was swapped to a different size or type and requires different limits on the engine data info. In fact, I was trying to confirm if the premium MSD card was correct since the old one was actually listed for the Vision system. SC didn't know so I contact some friends at Murphy and they confirmed it was correct. I then let SC cust service guy know this info to share with others.

The real bummer was that I procrastinated last year on updating the GPS map card. Last year, Navionics had a $99 card and it was for sale here and there for $89. That one is discontinued and the new one I listed in my previous post is the one to use for the south. It comes with a year of updates as part of the price.

Let us know what you find out.

Kevin
2011 Supra 242 350hrs in 15 months

randyr12
05-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I have been searching for a list of lakes that comes with the MSD/Prem-S6 and cant find it. Anyone found one?

Diggs
05-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Mine just come up when I am on the river. It is a pretty main waterway but shows up perfect everytime on my VISION without doing anything.

kjkimball
05-10-2012, 07:25 AM
I have been searching for a list of lakes that comes with the MSD/Prem-S6 and cant find it. Anyone found one?

Randy,

Here is a link to the Navionics web page with the listing of the lakes included on Southern card:
http://www.navionics.com/lakes/LakeList_HMPremium.asp?RegionID=2
Scroll the list on the right to see them all.

randyr12
05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks! All my lakes are on this list. I will start searching around for the best price.