PDA

View Full Version : 86 Supra comp Floor ReDo

muldo1cd
04-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

Totally new to the site and looking for some tips, tricks, help, words of wisdom.

I have an 86 comp and it's time for floors. I am tearing it apart this week but was hoping for some advice before I do.

1) Is it a tough job?
2) Any reccomendations on material?
3) Is there a step by step guide for doing it?

On top of the floors I am having a tough time with the steering. The wheel was ridiculously hard to turn last year. Any ideas what could cause this? I was thinking of replacing the cable, box and rudder all at once.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

wiatowski
04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Welcome... search the threads...tons of rebuilds and wonderful advice.... hope you have lots of time to kill reading.

lively
04-30-2012, 01:14 PM
deck: The stringers are not hard if you have the time , money, and tools to do the job

FRP: is a art in its own and takes sometime to concur , i just put new stringers in my 86 sunsport and took me 8 months to finish just the deck , you really just want to take in consideration that supra slammed these boats together and did not build to last 26 yrs + , so if you decide to rip it all apart , your engine will begin to run and ideas wont stop to better engineer the actual design , take some notes , memorize steps involved , practice , have patience.. the job will test you!

Cable: inside is a plastic sleeve , they wear out , causing the cable to bind and hard steering , i bought my rotatory for 150 off ebay and it works great ...
no need to replace rudder or box just grease them after you get new steering kit ...

Step by Step: = GOOGLE / SUPRABOATFORUMS :}

Hagman
05-02-2012, 12:37 AM
deck: The stringers are not hard if you have the time , money, and tools to do the job

FRP: is a art in its own and takes sometime to concur , i just put new stringers in my 86 sunsport and took me 8 months to finish just the deck , you really just want to take in consideration that supra slammed these boats together and did not build to last 26 yrs + , so if you decide to rip it all apart , your engine will begin to run and ideas wont stop to better engineer the actual design , take some notes , memorize steps involved , practice , have patience.. the job will test you!

Cable: inside is a plastic sleeve , they wear out , causing the cable to bind and hard steering , i bought my rotatory for 150 off ebay and it works great ...
no need to replace rudder or box just grease them after you get new steering kit ...

Step by Step: = GOOGLE / SUPRABOATFORUMS :}Very good advice. Take lots of pictures as the project goes on there grate to go back to when you are putting things back together. And fun to look at years down the road. Welcome to the forum.