PDA

View Full Version : General Rebuild Question

wiatowski
04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
One thing I've been meaning to ask on all these rebuilds is how come no one puts steel or aluminum under the engine mounts? I've seen inboards before where they have a piece of angle that connects/runs underneath both mounts. I was thinking if I.... change that... When I have to eventually redo the stringers I'd put channeling over top of the stringer and run bolts through instead of running lag bolts into the stringer. Any thoughts?

lively
04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
you would proly have to mold a steel plate inside the motor mount area and put some carriage bolts to be able to through bolt and fasten to the stringer , but if you pre drill
and fill with 5200 there shouldnt be an issue ,

i thought about using a 4x4 1/4'' angle for the tops so that the mounts would sit on that and spread the load longitudinally witch i still might do , just really a personal
preference if you ask me ... but deff would not hurt any ...

bens250ex
05-01-2012, 03:30 PM
if i had the time,will,money i would have looked into using that liquid stuff that is used to redo transoms. could have made some molds and just poured in the new stringers. I dunno i just pre drilled and 5200 mine in when i did it a couple weeks ago. I wont own it long enough for it to rot. Plus i used epoxy and douglas fir so it should last a hell of a lot longer than it did.

DAFF
05-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Perhaps it comes down to vibrations. Metal on metal can often transfer engergy quite well. Thus the wood acts somewhat as a rubber motor mount.

wiatowski
05-01-2012, 11:46 PM
I've thought about that... just for the noise factor... but then again you could always put rubber between the metal and the stringer. I'm tending to think it is a "cost" decision.