PDA

View Full Version : back from the dead (1987 sunsport)

project_sunsport
05-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Ok I have been lurking here for almost a year so I guess it's time for an introduction. Last summer I bought a very neglected and mistreated Sunsport. While I was doing My homework on restoring these old boats I found this forum. Right from the start I emailed Okieboarder with a ton of questions. I figured out real quick that the goal would be build it back better than it was originally. I had no experience with fiberglass , so the project went on hold for a while while I studied the process. I have made some progress since then so I thought I would start a thread , 9654and share some pics. It had been sitting for several years , so I had to get new tires before pulling it home. I was a little worried about the trailer , but I pulled it almost 200 miles without incident. 9655 Someone has robbed a few parts. I am in the market to replace those if any of You have them for sale. Warning : the following pictures may be disturbing to some veiwers !9656 Did I mention that it sat uncovered for several years?96579658

project_sunsport
05-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Here is a shot of the engine. Note the water standing , and remember that We did not have any rain here all summer. 9663That was some old water and lots of it.9659 All of You know how many hours of misery it takes to get to this point.96609661Look close You'll see the only fan of that soggy foam mess.9662

csuggs
05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Well, you've got your work cut out for yourself! Welcome aboard! Keep us posted and let us know how we can help!

project_sunsport
05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks. I actually have the stringers in. I was in the process of putting the floor in when I ran out of resin. My last bucket of resin is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll get some current pics when I get a chance.

suprasam
05-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Well Im not the best at this....but I think you might have some rot issues? Just a guess.....LOL. WOW you have a project, but at the end your bought is going to be brand new from the bottom up. Are you rebuilding the 351 or replacing it with something else?
Can't wait to see more results, good luck man!

michael hunter
05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the family . The education you are getting is priceless you will know your boat from the ground up. Good Job.

lively
05-01-2012, 04:29 PM
it like everyone ive seen the floor is rotted out ! great job on foam and stringer removal !! lol i still remember the fiberglass itch !

project_sunsport
05-01-2012, 06:18 PM
I have My fingers crossed on the engine condition. The hour meter reads 385 hours. It's been a fun project so far. I would not have found the nerve to take on a project this size if not for the wealth of info on this site.

jet
05-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Those pictures are disturbing..I feel like someone was neglect my kid. Hope you didnt have to finance that one. lol. You love her even more after shes done and she will pay you back with fun love. Jet

wiatowski
05-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Those pictures are disturbing..I feel like someone was neglect my kid. Hope you didnt have to finance that one. lol. You love her even more after shes done and she will pay you back with fun love. Jet

hahahahahahahahha.....hahahahahahaha! Totally thought the same thing.

suprasam
05-01-2012, 09:13 PM
What's more disturbing to me is that it has under 400 hrs and looks like that. At 400 man that baby is new!

DAFF
05-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Its a 1:1 ratio WRT hours.... One hour running equals one hour restoring.. Give or take 25%. To think I hated to leave my old Sunsport outside for the night in case in rained on it !!

project_sunsport
05-01-2012, 10:49 PM

I had a feeling some of You would be offended that Someone would let it get to that point. I looked at several Supras that looked nice ,but needed stringers. Those boats were 3 times the price of this one. I figured that this way I knew what I was starting with. That's how I justified it in My mind anyway. One day it will have it's place in the pride and joy section.

Jetlink
05-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I had a feeling some of You would be offended that Someone would let it get to that point. I looked at several Supras that looked nice ,but needed stringers. Those boats were 3 times the price of this one. I figured that this way I knew what I was starting with. That's how I justified it in My mind anyway. One day it will have it's place in the pride and joy section.So, by three times the price of this one, the previous owner paid you to take it off their hands right?

project_sunsport
05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
So, by three times the price of this one, the previous owner paid you to take it off their hands right?

Well not exactly. Im confortable with what I have in it. My first boat was a Moomba boomerang w/ monster tower. Decided that We needed more room. Thought I was upgrading when I bought a Moomba Mobious. We only wakeboard so I could never appreciate the low stance. We weighted it anyway , but never could dial in a decent wake. Got rid of that one last spring and decided to go totally different direction. I ruled out every boat except Sunsport and Saltare. I think that this boat will do everything I ask , and probably outlive Me.

Hagman
05-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Yes it is disturbing that this classic boat has never known the love of a good owner. I agree with Jet & Ngavdba/ Jim100%. And she has timeless coloring ,it looks like most of the parts are there. Go for it. Is the wife on board with the project? It’s going to take up allot of your time & $$$.
If your interested look at some of the profile photo albums the members have posted. It will give you some incentive. Ngavdba & Scuggs are 2 to start with there both gorgeous boat with loving owners. . Just click on there avatar. Welcome to the Forum.

project_sunsport
05-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Yes it is disturbing that this classic boat has never known the love of a good owner. I agree with Jet & Ngavdba/ Jim100%. And she has timeless coloring ,it looks like most of the parts are there. Go for it. Is the wife on board with the project? It’s going to take up allot of your time & $$$.
If your interested look at some of the profile photo albums the members have posted. It will give you some incentive. Ngavdba & Scuggs are 2 to start with there both gorgeous boat with loving owners. . Just click on there avatar. Welcome to the Forum.

I appreciate that. I have spent hours looking through threads and albums here. I need to get some current pics . I have the new stringers installed. I got the wife to help when I glassed the two mains , but I've been solo since. I don't think She was into fiberglass at all.
There is bad news on the exterior of the hull. There are two pretty serious gouges in the side that need repaired. There is no hope in saving the old gelcoat after the patchwork is done. I intend to have the floor in and cap back on soon. Then I can begin preping it for paint.

project_sunsport
05-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Here is where I am with the floor. UPS truck didn't show up , so all I did was cut out the peices to cover the floor. 9683 I have decided not to put the pylon back in , so I will have to build some support there. I am going to keep a fat sac in the bilge area. I left an access in the floor near the bow to make it easier to plumb and wire later. I'm off work tomorrow , so I'm counting on getting alot done if My resin shows up. I also left the floor open under the fuel tank like some that I have seen here.

project_sunsport
05-03-2012, 10:01 PM
I got the floors laminated today. 9686Now I need to replace the wood on the transom. The wood is rotted that supports the deck and the tow/lift hooks. I was thinking about using aluminum or stainless plate instead of wood and glass. Has Anyone done that? Good or bad idea?

Okie Boarder
05-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Looking good! I kept the bilge area up front open too, so I could put ballast down there. I have a nearly 2' square hatch in the floor just in front of the engine...really nice for access.

sybrmike
05-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Nice progress. I also made a floor hatch between the doghouse and the ice chest - easy bilge access and where one of the ballast pumps go.

As far as stainless/aluminium plates on the transom - you'd have to be sure to bed it in solid and fillet/feather the edges really well. Metal plates don't flex like plywood & will have a "hard" edge that could lead to point stress cracking.

project_sunsport
05-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks Guys. It feels good to have the bulk of the wood and fiberglass work behind Me. I am going to cut out that "hatch" area after I get the cap back on. I want as much access as I am allowed between the doghouse and the icechest.
Okie I have a picture of Your stringers on My desktop as a reminder of what a quality should looke like. I'm not saying that mine look as good as Yours , but they are definately closer than They were in 1987.
Sybrmike thanks I think I'll stick with the original design. I dont want to create another issue. I guess the original problem was with the foam holding water , and not the wood itself.