PDA

View Full Version : 2004 supra Lauch repair/parts questions

wontonrunner
05-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Hey guys. New to the forum and new to boating. I picked up a 22' 2004 Supra Lauch SSV gravity games edition last fall and am just getting all the bugs worked out of it before hitting the water. I got it for a good price but now i have to spend some time working on it.

I was wondering if any of you could help me out or point me in the right direction.

My list of problems.

Perfect pass not working.
Depth gage not working.
Bilge pump not working.
Horn not working.

The previous owner indicated that perfect pass quite last fall. he took the brain out and when I got the boat i discovered that one of the harness connections was broken off the circuit board. This has since been replaced and I hope that this is good. Now I have been spending the past few days chasing broken wires. Seems i had a few broken and poorly repaired wires at the transducer connector plug. Put a new 7 prong plug on tonight. Hope that solves the depth gauge issue. But in chasing the wires i also discovered that the brown wire under the dash was broken. It looks like it connects to wires that then run to the perfect pass brain. Is this brown wire perhaps the speedo signal wire?

Bilge pump doesnt seem to be working when i put it on manual. Is it common for these to crap out or do i likely have a bad connection or broken wire?

Forgive me, but where is the horn located on these boats?

In looking around the boat at the wiring i have come across a lot of terminate wires using the blue crimp connectors. is this factory or something the prevous owner did. Also found several of those "crimp" splice deal where you crimp it around the wire and can steal a signal or power. Is this stock or once again previous owner?

Thanks. i am sure i will have more questions but this is it for now.

wontonrunner
05-02-2012, 03:11 AM
and it looks like the wakeplate isn't moving up or down either. i can hear the actuators humming and such but it doesn't seem to be lowering the plate at all.
And i can hear a faint humm from the bilge pump for a few seconds when i go manual and then it kicks out the breaker. Also i know this sounds like an odd question but is there more than 1 bilge pump on these boats?

CornRickey
05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
I just dealt with my plate. They are made by Bennett and there website has a bunch of YouTube videos for trouble shooting. They don't move very much so make sure tour just not missing it (i did at first when working on it by myself. When you test the solenoid don't let the spring shoot out of it when you remove it.

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
05-03-2012, 01:06 PM
If your fuse blows when you use bilge piump it is time for a new one, I think they come stock with v500 gph pump made by ATTWOOD make sure new pump has
built in float also, upgrade to V750 GPH pump as it is not much more money. I changed mine 2 years ago as it was blowing the breaker also

jzelt
05-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Take your bilge pump off and check the impeller. Ours was gunked up with hair, grease, etc and just wouldn't spin. Cleaned that out and worked like a charm. Also, the wake plate goes up toward the swim platform, not below the bottom of the boat in case you weren't aware or looking for that to happen.
No help on PP since ours doesn't have it.

wontonrunner
05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

The bilge was shot, motor buzzed and we could turn the impeller by hand but she was dead as dead. Just replaced it with the same one that was in there.
The horn had a bad push button so we picked up a replacement one for $8.

All the time spent replacing wire connectors and fixing broken wires paid off...sort of. The depth gauge works now, granted some of the LCD display is shot but we can still make out the depth. The speedo seems to be working well and once it was dialed in using the GPS on the I phone it appears to be accurate at all speeds so I guess that means the wires and the paddle wheel is working perfect.

However, we still don't have anyting except a green screen and some buzzing on the Perfect Pass gauge and the actuator doesn't make a noise or go through the "diagnostic" steps at startup. Guess were gonna have to send the gauge and the brain away to perfect pass.

We took it for a rip last week and it is running quite well. Only other issue we are having is with the isolator that we installed. With it hooked up the signal to the computer seems to be filtered out and it wont fire the injectors. Has anyone done a dual battery setup with an isolator on these boats? How did you wire it in?

And a final question is where can I find the supra seat logos and factory "gravity games" decals for the hull? Just finnishing up the gelcoat repairs and want to replace the scratched decals.

Thanks

CornRickey
05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Check out PP's website. There's a bunch of trouble shooting documents on there. Could be a ground issue easily fixed.

wontonrunner
05-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Check out PP's website. There's a bunch of trouble shooting documents on there. Could be a ground issue easily fixed.

Hmm. I will have to check that before I send it away. PP sent me diagnostic steps and such and the voltages and resistences all match up correctly but still nothing other then a green screen.

ahyshka
05-15-2012, 02:36 AM
just out of curiosity, is the the boat that was for sale in BC, I think around Vernon?

wontonrunner
05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
just out of curiosity, is the the boat that was for sale in BC, I think around Vernon?

Freaky..... How did you guess this?

Yes, we picked it up last fall in Vernon and dragged it back to Saskatchewan. Really good deal for what the boat is but it definately has a few battle scars on it.

I still keep finding pics of the boat all over when doing google searches. He must have had this thing up for sale for quite some time on every site imaginable.

CornRickey
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
It maybe worth doing a reset on your PP to see if it will work. There website will tell you how to do it.

ahyshka
05-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Freaky..... How did you guess this?

Yes, we picked it up last fall in Vernon and dragged it back to Saskatchewan. Really good deal for what the boat is but it definately has a few battle scars on it.

I still keep finding pics of the boat all over when doing google searches. He must have had this thing up for sale for quite some time on every site imaginable.

Ya, Your description was almost identical to one I was looking at last fall to. I liked the boat but there was just to much wrong with it for the amount of hours, But the price was definitely right.
I ended up getting a 04 launch gg from martin motorsports out of Calgary and they hauled it up to Edmonton where it resides.

canadianpride
05-23-2012, 09:15 AM
So where in sask do you do your boating, I have a 05 22ssv launch. You don't see many supra running around the
Lakes out here. Hope everything starts to work for you and then you can sit back
And enjoy the ride

wontonrunner
06-05-2012, 01:59 AM
So where in sask do you do your boating, I have a 05 22ssv launch. You don't see many supra running around the
Lakes out here. Hope everything starts to work for you and then you can sit back
And enjoy the ride

Primarily Regina Beach.

Been out a couple times but seem that with each trip out we come back with something else that needs to be fixed.

Tonight the wakeplate quite working again. It was working great then all of a sudden stopped. I can hear buzzing at the back in 1 direction but it doesnt fire up the other way. I think it is all the way down and just wont come back up.

The nav lights wont work today either.

Also the front bag wont empty and will only fill when 1 of the other switches is set to fill.

With all these little things happening, we suspect that there is some kind of a ground issue going on.

Also the ignition switch appears to be very tempermental...so another one of those is on order too.

And for some reason the ipod connection wont work on the stereo.

And to top it all off, when i backed it into the garage at the end of the night we noticed that we had a flat trailer tire....appears that the valve stem fell apart as it is half torn off.

and if anyone can point me in the right direction to how you set up a battery isolator on here for dual batteries that would be most appreciated.

sybrmike
06-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes, but def sounds like a ground issue.

On the dual battery set-up - do some searches here for surepower 1314. Myself and others have used these voltage sensing relays along with a battery switch with good results.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Transportation/Resources/instructions/BUS_CBT_INST_180126a.pdf

wontonrunner
06-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the link. If the isolator doesn't work for us I will definately be looking at going this route.

Solved most of our issues.

Changed the ignition and it is good as new. Starts like a dream now.

The lights were a combination of a burned out tower bulb...it was white and cracked. Odd because we changed it out the first trip out of the season. The othe issue was that the 12v connection on the back of the front nav light was off. I guess the rough water must have shook it loose. Sprayed them up with wd40 and crimped the blad connector tight so that it wouldnt slip off again and the lights were good as new.

The front ballast pump/switch issue turned out to be another blade connection that pulled off of the fuse block under the dash. Tightened it up, inspected the fuses and plugged it back in and it was good as new. Just have to remember to ziptie the wiring harness up so that it doesnt pull loose again.

The wakeplate still has us baffled. I went to troubleshoot the unit and touched the harness to inspect it and when buddy flipped the switch it was good again. I pulled the plug apart and there was some white corrosion on the connection. Sprayed it with wd40 and plugged it back in and the whole system is working again except the wakeplate tilt gauge. Is there something in the cylinder that indicates the plate position or is a rheostat off the switch at the steering wheel?

Just need the perfect pass to show up, get the subs installed under the seat and the new amp installed and she should be hastle free....knock on wood.

CornRickey
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Keep in mind that the gauge only works when the ignition is on unlike the actual tab that only needs the battery on.

wontonrunner
06-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Keep in mind that the gauge only works when the ignition is on unlike the actual tab that only needs the battery on.

hmmm, I don't know if I actually tried it with the ignition turned on after getting the wakeplate working again. Let's hope it is that simple! If that is the case I am certainly going to feel like a total Homer :oops:

CornRickey
06-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Your not the only one!

zjeremy
06-08-2012, 09:48 PM
You can get the logos from Supra, cost 40 bucks each. The guys there are great to work with, gave me part numbers and such for some of my gremlins as well.

wontonrunner
06-10-2012, 03:02 AM
You can get the logos from Supra, cost 40 bucks each. The guys there are great to work with, gave me part numbers and such for some of my gremlins as well.

Really? Because I emailed Skiers Choice and they told me they don't make seats or covers for the 2004's only 2005 and newer. Then they told me that I should try a dealer for the logos. So I tried a local dealer and they called skiers choice and told me they are only available with seat skins and that they don't make interiors older than 2008. I was looking into getting custom iron ons made to fill the space and planned on just glueing them into place.

Does anyone have the part number for just the logos? $40 isnt cheap for something that appears to wear out on pretty much every boat I have seen online. Gotta make the boat look good though.

I am a homer. I turned the new ignition to the accessory position and voila, the gage now works!!!!