PDA

View Full Version : whining sound at low speed

boatin_nut
05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a 99 Supra Legacy that seems to generate a whining sound when I'm at a low speed of about 25mph. I thought it was the strut bearings but it goes away as I accelerate. Would this be a transmission issue?

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!!

lively
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
does it have a velvet drive ?, could be friction plates

haugy
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Check your tranny fluid. Mine did that when it needed a fluid change, or was just low on tranny fluid.

jet
05-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Strut bearing would have been my starting point. Have someone drive at low speed and that way you can put your head down there and follow the sound. You can also (mechanics trick) use a LONG screw driver, hold it to your ear and close your ear flap with the end of the screw driver, now its a stethoscope. You can place the end of the screw driver to the housing of the trans and hear whats going on inside the trans. Its a great tool for finding noises because you can check each item like the altenator, water pump, engine block, trans till you find the one thats making a lot of noise. you will know when you find it.

boatin_nut
05-02-2012, 04:47 PM
I actually just changed my tranny fluid about 2hrs ago because I hadn't done it yet this year. I'm hoping to get the boat out tomorrow to see if the sound persists using Jet's screwdriver trick. :)

Keep any more thoughts/experiences coming.

Thanks again guys.

docdrs
05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
How many hours on the boat? Grab your prop and see if there is any lateral or vertical play to check the strut bushings. Have your checked the alignment?