PDA

View Full Version : Do you OWN or Do you Actually Wakeboard

suprasam
05-02-2012, 12:08 PM
I was just curious do most people on here own and wakeboard or just one or the other? I have owned all kinds of boats all my life. I honestly couldn't care what type of boat that I had, as long as it got me to the lake. I sold my pontoon, and purchased my first Supra last year and have really only owned open bows, and only owned one pontoon (LOVED the space on that joker. My boat is older(85/86 Sunsport).....and I am loving it. To be honest, I love the boat lines and sleekness(if a word) more than I do than wakeboarding/skiing. I have only been skiiing behind this boat twice since owning it. Does that make me lame? HA not sure I care one way or the other, love the boat.....and I will be on the lake one way or the other. Love to see what most do on this forum.

haugy
05-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I will always own a skiboat. God willing, a pontoon would be great too. I've driven all kinds of boats. But a skiboat will always be in my stable. The drive, the ride, the handling, the sound, etc are why I love these boats. You're down on the water, a part of it, enjoying it. Not high and dry away from it all.

I used to wakeboard much more than I do now. I put a tower on my boat as it's a great point to tow kids from with people in the boat. It also provide storage, a high anchor light, and a great location for the bimini.

I personally would prefer not to have a tower on my boat, but it's advantages outweigh my desire for looks.

So no, you're not lame. A boat is what the owner uses it for. It's not destined to fall into any category. If you use it for cruising, so be it. I know sail boats that have been out tons of times, but have never raised a sail. So what? That's what the owner wants to do with it.

I'm a water rat, and always will be. My 11month old son is already loving water, and knows how to float in water. He loves it.

jet
05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
You had me at the work wakeboard. Xoxo. Lmao. Your right, if it floats just do it!! Im NOT a shore guy. But everyone will have a different reason. Mine is motion..or being in motion, the wind, the water, the fear of being on the edge, thats my drug. Forget all that crap they sell on the street. Thats kid stuff! You cant buy this one, you have to earn it. It takes hard work and some boat money. lol. Im hooked on it. In-line skates-40 mph, 180 mph bike, dirt bikes, jeeps, mountain biking, rock climbing, snowboarding, cable park riding, surfing and wakeboarding. I ride 1-2 or 3 times a week. It all started for me the first time in FL I caught a huge 8' wave on my surfboard and rode it in and that changed the direction of my life. I was hooked. It does bring you closer to God when a 40-story building rolling on its side can roll over you and take your life..you find God quick!! But it helped me find my inside and who I am and thats the drug that I have been chasing for years now. It touched my soul and made me one-with nature. No joke. Water is soothing, it relaxes you, you are made of water. I love riding on water. You remember the movie Point Break patrick swayze..its just like that. That movie captured my feelings and made a movie around it. Its one of my fav's. I think yall know how pasionate I am about boating and riding, I LOVE working on my boat and making it better..but I am a wakeboarder 1st..since there are no waves to catch anymore. Man that got DEEP! Now..yall know who I really am.

cigars n scotch
05-02-2012, 12:44 PM
I wakeboard and surf, however for me and my wife and all of our friends it's more about the experience and comraderie to be with friends out on the water on your boats. There's nothing better to do on a weekend. I live in NEw Jersey so most people go to the shore but I am not really a beach person( don't like sand and salt) and my parents even have a house at the shore on a lagoon that leads to the bay. My boat has never seen that water and never will.

Now that we have a daughter, who is 8 months old, we're really excited about sharing boating and watersports with her like we enjoyed growing up.

jet
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
reframe..reframe from making any Jersey shore jokes. There..I didnt say it.

Moose
05-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Hey boats are cool and a ton of fun no matter what you do with them. I used to be very addicted to my dirtbike and was riding all the time untill some of my friends invited me down to the lake one weekend. The wakeboarding, floating in the water with a beer in hand, riding on the boat, hanging out with friends wearing shorts and flipflops. I was hooked. Now I'm on my second boat, I'm a wakeboard addict, and if I could find a way to be on the lake every day and still pay the bills I would do it. Don't worry about what you do with your boat just be stoked you have one.

Okie Boarder
05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
We bought ours with a purpose in mind...wake boarding and surfing. We have grown to love just being on it, but still very actively wake board and surf.

My 11month old son

Man haugy...11 months already? WOW! Time sure flies, huh?

wotan2525
05-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Wakesurf during the week. Party during the weekend. Boat serves both purposes very well.

KG's Supra24
05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
we bought ours for the functionality. I'm one of those that doesn't understand the purpose of a run about. We do ride quite a bit though, surf and wake.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kvand347
05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I bought my boat last September with the purpose of raising my two boys (almost 4 & almost 5) the way I was brought up. Boats have always been apart of my life, even if I didn't get to go to the lake every weekend. We owned a tri-hull when I was a kid and first learned how to ski off of my Grandpa's slick craft Lake MI boat. It had a 302 HO in it and pulled pretty hard!

In high school one of my best friends bought a '90 sport nautique and I was instantly hooked on ski boats. I was in school before wakeboarding was really popular and we used to ski and kneeboard like crazy. Later he sold the '90 for a '96 ski nautique with a closed bow. That boat was just as fun, but built more for skiing than other water sports. He still owns that boat to this day and I almost bought the boat from him before I got the supra, but his wife convinced him to keep it for their growing kids (smart choice).

Before I bought the '93 sunsport I owned a '93 Lowe deckboat that was given to me by my Grandpa. I really enjoyed that boat and we used to wakeboard off of it every chance we got. Then I had kids and the wife said it had to go. Fortunately for me, I convinced her last year to let me get the sunsport. I did have to sell my '75 corvette to get it, though.

The boat will be used for family, friends, wakeboarding, wakesurfing, skiing, and (cough) tubing (for the kids). You just can't go wrong owning an inboard ski boat. I am not partial to any particular brand like some are. I feel we are all in the same brotherhood no matter what the name says on the side of the boat.

Sorry for the book, but now you know some background on me!

Jetlink
05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
My soon to be wife and I both grew up in familes that love the water. In fact her parents had a lake house until about 10 years ago and sold it as they hardly used it, her dad now says that had he known that I was going to come into the picture they never would have sold. Anyways, they kept their jet skis to ride on the river that is across the street from them at their home. Laura and I remarked that while they are fun, we really wanted something to ski and ride behind. It started with us looking at runabouts but we quickly gravitated towards a purpose built direct drive as what we wanted. We did our research and found the comp that we have proudly owned for the past 3 years this June. While we do ride behind it, there are other times that we just drop in and motor around on the chain, grab lunch or dinner, float on the sand bar which is really crazy. As long as you use the boat in a way that works for you that day or moment and enjoy it, I don't think anybody will be critical of you.

As a reference, Mapleleaf and I get together at least once a year and while we do some riding, we also do some floating and drinking on the boats and that works well for us too. When the time comes for a rebuild, I plan on restoring the comp, taking the tower off and then keeping it for just skiing. At that time, we will probably add a larger V-Drive to the stable as that is what the next boat is to be as has been declared by she who must be obeyed...:D

suprasam
05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
The responses that are listed are kind of what I was thinking that would be posted. Although it's funny because in the cove I hang out in every weekend, I am the only "wake" style boat that has a large Magnum grill attached to the back corner of the boat grilling. HA....so trust me my boat gets used for anything I want, its been a tug/pull boat a time or two when needed as well.

On a side note - BEN (jetlink) did you finish your freakin long arse exams yet?

chrisk
05-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I use my boat for wakeboarding, slaloming, wakesurfing, kneeboarding, combo skiing, barefooting, wake biking, wake skating, body surfing, keg riding, partying, sleeping, cruising, lounging.... most of these just equal Therapy.

Whatever you use your boat for, so be it. I love the Moomba slogan, "No Worries."

Jetlink
05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
On a side note - BEN (jetlink) did you finish your freakin long arse exams yet?Yeah man, the semester officially wrapped up yesterday though I have been done with everything since last Monday, one of the benefits of online classes. Been able to get a little work done on the boat this past weekend mainly the trailer. Now it is some final wedding stuff this week, leave for my bachelor party Sunday, come back for more wedding stuff and hopefully some riding finally if the weather cooperates. Chris really hit the catch all above, I need some Hydro-therapy that only my boat can deliver!!!

WakeSurfCanada
05-02-2012, 03:46 PM
I use my boat for wakeboarding, slaloming, wakesurfing, kneeboarding, combo skiing, barefooting, wake biking, wake skating, body surfing, keg riding, partying, sleeping, cruising, lounging.... most of these just equal Therapy.

What he said!

DAFF
05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
What he said!

What they said!!!

Seriously boating is something you love or hate. Most of the haters just can't get comfortable enough to relax on the water. As for me and the family, going out on the boat is our number one objective on any given day. I even enjoy pulling them around with the truck during the off season!! LOL

My faverite is hanging out in Mitchell's bay while camping there in the 5th wheel. Costs a few bucks but nothing better than waking up grabbing a thermos of Coffee with the kids and having a morning tour on the boat. Here the campground and marina are combined in one location, you can even dock the boat overnight just steps from the trailer..... Where the heck is summer anyhow!!

gogger
05-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I have always loved boating. I can remember when I was in my teens and going out on Lake Erie walleye fishing with my uncle. He had an old wooden Chris Craft Cabin Cruiser, I think it was a 1963. It had twin chevy 283's in it. We would head out early and just chug along through the no wake channels and then when we would finally hit the lake he would get on it. The engines would be roaring, and you could hear them smooth out and soon the tone would start to synchronize. It was relaxing to hear them working together to move that heavy old boat.

Then I bought my little ski boat when I was 16. Had a couple of years of fun with that. But always wanted an inboard ski boat. My wife and I have pretty much dedicated the last 19 years to my daughter, and her competing with the horses. My wife would talk about retiring and wanting to live on the water. I really started to dread thinking about that. I have been so busy with the farm and hay making the last decade, that taking it easy seemed like it would drive me crazy.

Then last year we went on a boating vacation with some friends of ours. They love to go to Folly Island SC, it sounded like a lot of fun. I decided to learn to kneeboard. So I bought one and took along. It had been a long time since I tried anything like that. Had a blast, started to remember how to have fun for myself again. Gliding across the water made me feel young again. So I discussed it with the wife and decided we should buy a boat and use it as much as possible.

Decided I wouldn't buy anything but an inboard ski boat. Haven't had it out yet, but I can't wait. I bought a wake board and hope that I can learn to use it. I am thinking the 454 will be able to get me out of the water quick enough. Tried to water ski last summer, but his I/O 6 cylinder couldn't plane out quick enough. If I can't learn to wakeboard, I know I can knee board and tube at least.

So now the thought of retiring with my wife somewhere on the water seems a lot more appealing that it use to.

cigars n scotch
05-02-2012, 05:43 PM
reframe..reframe from making any Jersey shore jokes. There..I didnt say it.

I should have known better. There are specific beaches those types of morons go to, I stay away from them as much as possible.

wiatowski
05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
I've owned 11 boards and currently have 5 does that count.... Spent all summer on the water and the boat sits at the lake... 10 minute drive from my place.. It's nice when the kids get home from school and we can go out for a swim I can get a couple of sets in, and just relax as a family. I have 4 kids so the open bow is a must... looking forward to putting the sunsport in the water hopefully in a few weeks, if I ever get the sanding done. :p

86 century
05-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Jet said it better than I can.

Its all about being on the water. With all the things around today to lead young people down the wrong road my house/boat is the hang out for my kids and most of there friends all summer.
Gets the family together keeps the kids busy doing somthing we all love.
For the most part the wife and kids dont care what kind of boat we have as long as it goes.

I have owned every kind of boat deckboats I/O and outboard deep v open bows in both glass and aluminum I/O & outboard.
We had a toon for about for about a week. Gave that to my parents so its still there if we need the space.
This is my first inboard with the kids geting to be teenagers wakeboarding is geting to be the main thing behind the boat.

We have been through 6 boats in the last 4years trying to find what fits us best.

kevkev
05-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Me and my wife both wakeboard and surf, we obviously bought our boat to suit both those needs. But every time we go out we wear ourselves out and go find a place in a cove and drop anchor or drift depending on how many people are out and hop in the water with the radio on and hang out. To us that is what its all about enjoying the water and having a few cold ones, both of our dogs (GSP's) are naturally attracted to the water so they get in and chase the ball all day long (sometimes they don't even wait for the boat to stop, they seem to have a better instinct for a good place to stop).

scotthons
05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Both my parents grew up on boats. My grandparents still have their old boat. It hasn't been used in at least five years though. A few years back my grandma skied on her 75th bday. We grew up with jet boats going to the Colorado River and Kings River. Most weekends we would go to the Colorado River and then at least once a summer we would take a week vacation to the Kingds River. Those were amazing vacations and I wouldn't have changed it for a trip to Hawaii or Europe or anywhere.

I got away from boating for a little bit in college because I was playing baseball. After school I partnered up with someone and purchased a '98 Malibu Sportster that we picked up cheap from a repo company. Soo many great times on that boat. Got married and sold the Malibu and bought the Supra. Hopefully we will have kids one day and they can experience and enjoy the same fun times I had growing up.

We usually ride once in the mornings and maybe once in the afternoon. I love wakeboarding, but just being on the water is so calming and enjoyable to me.

Geary101
05-04-2012, 05:17 AM
every day at 5:40 PM I see someone riding behind Trevor Hansen's Supra on Lake Minehaha. Does that count?

Clermont

The Wakeboarding Capital of the World

Blackntan90
05-04-2012, 05:46 PM
'This is a great thread' he said while wiping a tear from his eye, remembering a warm spring day sitting in the Supra in a quiet cove somewhere on the Chesapeke bay. Acold one in his hand, talking to his dad about boats and boating while the sun glitters off the wind tickled water. Man... thanks dad, for getting me into boats, letting me do everything by myself while you just sat there and said nothing. Until the boat was tied to the dock, and then a sincere 'nice job'. That meant the world to me. It still does.