PDA

View Full Version : water pump out?

suprasam
05-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Ok so thought I was having a thermostat issue, I got a new one. I went ahead and changed the impeller because I wasn't sure the last time it actually was changed. So I tried to start on the hose, and it looked like it wasn't pumping any water at all now. There was zero water out the exhaust so I turned the motor off. I am 99% sure I put the impeller back on correct, could my pump be out? If so, before I spend 180.....ish on a new pump, any ideas or anyway to ck the pump to see if its working or if I just screwed something up. Thanks for help!

Jetlink
05-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Did you put the raw water pump on for the correct rotation/flow of water?

lively
05-03-2012, 11:24 PM
what about the circulation pump ? is it leaking out of the weep hole under the pully bell ? the raw water pump should pump both ways ..

Burke
05-03-2012, 11:29 PM
I had a very similar experience today. De-winterized the boat, hooked everything up, put the new impeller in, and then tried to start it up with a fake-a-lake hooked up. The boat came up to temp and then kept going - shut it off around 190. I pulled the impeller out and put it back in. Started it up again and same thing. I started pulling off hoses downstream of the impeller housing and I was getting some water, but not much.

I was getting suspicious that the fake-a-lake was the problem. I've used these for years without any problems on my other boat, but turns out it was the issue. I took the boat over and put it in the lake (still on the trailer). Started up and no issues.

Watch the bottom of the boat after turning it on - you should see a large reduction in the amount of water spewing from the fake-a-lake. If you don't notice that, could be the water isn't actually getting up into the boat and making it to the impeller.

Just a thought.

Jetlink
05-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Hey Lively, to my knowledge, if the raw water pump is installed incorrectly, the rotation of the pump is such that it wants to force water out the intake, thereby reversing the flow. On my boat, you want to make sure that the hose connections are closest to the block.

lively
05-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Hey Lively, to my knowledge, if the raw water pump is installed incorrectly, the rotation of the pump is such that it wants to force water out the intake, thereby reversing the flow. On my boat, you want to make sure that the hose connections are closest to the block.
9688 really ? lol cause when i mounted mine i couldnt get the belt to fit right when the pump was closest to the block ... but if your 100% on that then im for sure changing it ... I really didnt look into the actual pump housing when i replaced mine to determine if they are a one way pump or not ...
lol i proly need to look further into my pics to see if this is how it was mounted ...http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lively86/19110a64.jpg it looks like im ok ? idk ill have to look when i get home tomorrow

Jetlink
05-03-2012, 11:52 PM
The pic I included in my post above is how it should be mounted...and looking at it, it looks like you would really have to force the hoses to make it work trying to install it incorrectly.

lively
05-04-2012, 12:03 AM
The pic I included in my post above is how it should be mounted...and looking at it, it looks like you would really have to force the hoses to make it work trying to install it incorrectly. well im firing over the engine this weekend so ill find out one way or another lol

Jetlink
05-04-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm a little on the tired side but that looks like you are set up properly.

lively
05-04-2012, 12:11 AM
man i hope so ! hey WAKE up lol .. thanks bud ..

Jetlink
05-04-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm trying man, been running on 6 hours of sleep average the past few weeks. I guess this will be an abundance of sleep once kids come into the picture...lol

lively
05-04-2012, 12:23 AM
man i hear ya , im on call right now responding to an elevator call .. some kids jackin with something they shouldnt have .. lol .. you live close to homewood?

Jetlink
05-04-2012, 12:29 AM
man i hear ya , im on call right now responding to an elevator call .. some kids jackin with something they shouldnt have .. lol .. you live close to homewood?Homewood??? Not familiar, so...no? lol

lively
05-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Homewood , IL is where alot of my family is from

suprasam
05-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the help, but I don't think you can install the pump back on incorrectly can you? I believe the hoses are different sizes so it won't let you. I dont think the impeller was spinning at all because there wasn't any water going through it (guess), I didn't use the "fake lake" I put a hose directly to it from inside right next to the screen. At that point it wouldn't suction any water to the motor, it was acting like it was actually pushing it out rather than sucking it in. I guess there is a small chance I could have forgotten the "key" that holds the impeller to the pump shaft. So I plan on taking it back apart tonight to make sure I didn't screw anything up. These small things are sometimes more irritating than the larger ones. Does my circulating pump actually the pump that pulls the water in the motor? Any special way to see if that pump is messed up? leaving work early to head home so hopefully I might try to find my issue.

Ben, are you in Aurora/Naperville or close. I have family over in Aurora, they own a couple of restuarants....(Tom & Eddies).

NorCalPR
05-04-2012, 05:34 PM
The problem is that water pumps don't suck water, they simply move water.

If the impeller isn't doing its job of feeding water into the water pump, the water pump can't move any water around.

wotan2525
05-04-2012, 07:49 PM
If water isn't pouring out the exhaust with a hose hooked up, you have a blockage somewhere. The water pressure from a hose is enough to fill the boats system without even turning the water pump.

suprasam
05-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Update......Ben(jetlink) was right, the impeller(housing) was upside down. There isn't a distinct way to know, so I took it off and put it in a bucket of water and found out. So I out a mark pointing up for next time if it ever comes off again. Pumping water good now, and will be on the lake around noon tomorrow. Thanks for the help! First beer is on me Ben!

Jetlink
05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Update......Ben(jetlink) was right, the impeller(housing) was upside down. There isn't a distinct way to know, so I took it off and put it in a bucket of water and found out. So I out a mark pointing up for next time if it ever comes off again. Pumping water good now, and will be on the lake around noon tomorrow. Thanks for the help! First beer is on me Ben!Whew, glad I wasn't totally talking/typing out my ass last night... And yeah, I am actually in Naperville for the time being... If you are ever headed this way, give me a heads up and I can try and free up my schedule for some riding and that beer. ;)

DAFF
05-04-2012, 10:46 PM
I too had the same problem last season. You can install the impeller out 180 deg making the pump push air back into the lake. If you are overhating on the lake after an impelar change remove the hose running from the pump neares the Tstat housing. With the hose removed tap the key and get ready to shutdown the engine quickly. If you get no water then the housing is out 180 deg. If correct then watch out for the flood of water. Also, if the system is working it only takes seconds to start pumping water through the engine any longer then you have some issues.

Jetlink
05-05-2012, 12:37 AM
As a point of reference, this is my boat running on the hose at a high idle when I de-winterized it a few weeks ago. Note the amount of water that I have coming out my exhaust, that is a good flow rate I think.

http://youtu.be/0lDS0vwS8yM