PDA

View Full Version : New member with a few questions.....

DanHuff32
05-04-2012, 09:33 PM
So my dad is going to be picking up a 2001 Legacy in a few days and I don't know much about them. I have seen some pictures and the open bow area is all flat, from the walk through to the front and I am curious what is under there? Is it just storage? I really have no idea about that boat, there doesn't seem to be too much online about them. It has a stock New Dimensions tower, not the swooped back one, but the more straight up and down one. I like to ski, but the rest of the family is into wakeboarding, will this boat be alright for us? I am not a course skier, so I am not real concerned about how soft the wake is or anything like that. Did these things come with any stock ballast? can some be added under the front seats? Has anyone ever used one of these for surfing? I believe there is a wakeplate on there, will that make the wake larger for intermediate wakeboarders? Right now I believe that it has just the four cabin speakers, it did not look like there was any in the open areas on the sides in the bow, can I ad some there? What about finding a place for a sub, maybe at the drivers feet? And I have no idea what I will need to install tower speakers and that whole bunch. Is there a checklist of stuff that I should make sure I have before I get started? I don't want to order stuff and then have to wait because I forgot a connector or something like that. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated! Also, will I need more than one amp for the cabin, and tower speakers along with maybe a 10" sub? I live in Stillwater, Oklahoma so I was thinking that maybe I would see if I could get some Kicker audio stuff. Is there stuff alright, or should I stay clear? Really new to all of this inboard scene, so any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Dan Huff

wotan2525
05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
So my dad is going to be picking up a 2001 Legacy in a few days and I don't know much about them. I have seen some pictures and the open bow area is all flat, from the walk through to the front and I am curious what is under there? Is it just storage? Yep! Just storage....
I really have no idea about that boat, there doesn't seem to be too much online about them. It has a stock New Dimensions tower, not the swooped back one, but the more straight up and down one. I like to ski, but the rest of the family is into wakeboarding, will this boat be alright for us? It's more of a ski boat than a wakeboard boat but if the wakeboarders are beginners it will be great!
I am not a course skier, so I am not real concerned about how soft the wake is or anything like that. Did these things come with any stock ballast? I don't believe that the Legacy did come with stock ballast. The legacy was the ski/family boat and the launch was the wakeboard version.
can some be added under the front seats? Of course!
Has anyone ever used one of these for surfing? Plenty of people are surfing behind comps which have an even lower freebord and push less water. You can surf it but it won't be big and it will take some fiddling.
I believe there is a wakeplate on there, will that make the wake larger for intermediate wakeboarders? Yes. Wakeplate will go in the "fiddling" category.
Right now I believe that it has just the four cabin speakers, it did not look like there was any in the open areas on the sides in the bow, can I ad some there? What about finding a place for a sub, maybe at the drivers feet? And I have no idea what I will need to install tower speakers and that whole bunch. You could go as crazy as you want on the stereo or keep it close to stock. The skys the limit. Most people add subs in the area under the drivers feet. You could spend weeks researching/buying tower speakers and amps. Plenty of good stuff out there depending on your budget.
Is there a checklist of stuff that I should make sure I have before I get started? I don't want to order stuff and then have to wait because I forgot a connector or something like that. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated! Also, will I need more than one amp for the cabin, and tower speakers along with maybe a 10" sub? I live in Stillwater, Oklahoma so I was thinking that maybe I would see if I could get some Kicker audio stuff. Is there stuff alright, or should I stay clear? I love my Kicker gear. Almost my entire setup is Kicker stuff. I use a mix of their "marine" stuff and their regular car-audio stuff. Again -- it's all about how much you want to spend and how much of the work you want to do yourself.
Really new to all of this inboard scene, so any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

You're welcome! Let's see some photos!

chrisk
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
^^^ What he said. : )

KG's Supra24
05-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Wotan gets an A+ from me, lol.

He pretty much covered it. Stereo wise budgets and expectations need to be set. Kicker is good stuff, no reason to shy away from them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

DAFF
05-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Wotan must of had a few minutes to spare to disect that one....

Dan welcome to the forum and get you reading glasses ready for there is a weath of information on this site. Pics are a must!!! or it never happened.

relyt
05-08-2012, 01:26 AM
I own a 99 legacy... i have an insta-slalom course I use and wake is great for slalom! With a little weight (no stock ballast) I think it got great pop! I can do a couple inverts, a three, and a superman. So you have a pretty good boat for wake and awesome for slalom. I have not tries surfing yet because my dad has a 08 22ssv. Wotan covered everything else I can think of. If you have any other questions let me know! Here is a pic of me boarding.