PDA

View Full Version : 87 saltare pc 454/ holly carb 4160

Rusty
05-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Hi. I have an 87 saltare pc 454. It had a pos automobile carb on it... The choke malfunctioned and gasoline
poured into the cylinders and it shot the oil dip stick up and oil spurted out of it.... Anyhow, I purchased a standard original carb for the saltare from skidim. The configuration is very different and I'm wondering if someone out
there has a 4160 installed in their saltare that could maybe share pics of where your - PVC valve vacuum hose, and gas line are attached to your carb. Hope someone can help. Thnx.

cadunkle
05-06-2012, 10:36 AM
There's really nothing to it, very few lines on a boat. Throttle cable at an appropriate spot on throttle arm to get full travel. Fuel to the fuel inlet. PCV goes to large manifold vacuum port near rear of carb. Typically on starboard side below secondaries, sometimes straight out the back. It'll be the only large port. Cap the rest of the vacuum ports, you shouldn't have a vacuum advance or anything else. Vented fuel pump should vent to air cleaner housing, dumps fuel in the engine in case of diaphragm rupture.

Rusty
05-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanx... So my next question is... Do I need a PVC sensor on both valve covers or just on one side?

michael hunter
05-06-2012, 06:49 PM
PCV valve on one side vent hose to flame arrestor on the other. The PCV valve sucks the air and gasses out of the crankcase the hose on the other side allows fresh air back in.

Rusty
05-06-2012, 08:34 PM
I was afraid of that... The guy who put my boat got these polished chrome valve covers that only have that separator ccompartment only on one of the valve covers...the other is just wide open...will that make a difference?

cadunkle
05-06-2012, 08:36 PM
They make filter/breathers that have a rubber base of varying sized that will snap in that hole. Or if it's not one of those, get a PCV valve grommet and attach a short length of hose to a breather or your air filter/flame arrestor.

Rusty
05-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi. Yes. It has that- but what I'm saying is that one of the valve covers ( on the underside if u flip it over) it a
Has a boxy type piece that is siliconed beneath the hole- and on the other is has nothing underneath the hole. Does that matter?

Rusty
05-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Ah..I went back and read your response again and notice that u have already answered my question. Thank you for your help.

cadunkle
05-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Those are baffles, to prevent the PCV valve from sucking up oil. Idea is to only pull air/oil vapor and not liquid oil splashing around. So preferably if only one has a baffle (it's best if both do), put the PCV is the one with the baffle and the vent in the one without. Not a big deal though, to not have a baffle on each. Good luck with your project!