PDA

View Full Version : Used 1987 Sunsport

Eghusa
05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
New to the forum. I've been looking for a good used sunsport for awhile and I saw this boat on craigslist/ eBay. The boat looks very well cared for and has low hours but I'm concerned about buying a boat with wood stringers. The floor and stringer are original, the owner says that the only issue with the floor is around the captains seat. Is this a red flag that there may be other issues. Also I'm planning on keeping the boat in the water at a mooring. Can a boat with wood stringers be keep in the water? Am I better off spending more money on a newer all fiberglass model?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/2987951715.html

wotan2525
05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Soft floor + new trailer bunks are red flags to me. Is the boat local to you? Go check it out. Put a wrench on the engine mount bolts and see if they are solid or if they spin. If they spin -- the stringers are rotten and RUN away.

It's up to you... A floor/stringer job is ~$5k. You could buy an all fiberglass boat for that much more and not have to ever worry about the hassle. It's not a question of if it will need to be done but when.

Salty87
05-09-2012, 11:08 AM
yes, that patch under the captain's seat is a huge sign saying...RUN

unless you want a project. then you can use it to lower the price.

you can moor a wood stringer boat just fine.

Eghusa
05-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback. The boat is about 6 hrs away. I guess I will keep looking. I don't know why but I almost never see these for sale in the mid atlanic.

DAFF
05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Good thing you didn't buy first and ask questions later.... The boys above just saved you a bundle!!

If you can afford it try to find a composite boat... Why ?? A nice and solid Sunsport or Saltare will be 70-80% of the cost anyways. Sometimes it is cheaper to spend more off the start and have less into a boat later:)

bens250ex
05-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Good thing you didn't buy first and ask questions later.... The boys above just saved you a bundle!!

If you can afford it try to find a composite boat... Why ?? A nice and solid Sunsport or Saltare will be 70-80% of the cost anyways. Sometimes it is cheaper to spend more off the start and have less into a boat later:)

LISTEN TO HIM! i bought a comp theat had the worst rotted stringers i have seen, i didnt know any better. It was the biggest pain ever. I am just finishing the boat almost a year later and a couple or more grand later as well. Do yourself a favor find a all composite boat. I have already been looking for a all composite boat suited more for my needs. I learned the hard way but atleast i know alot about boats now lol

Eghusa
05-17-2012, 07:12 AM
http://m.boattrader.com/find/listing/100725668

This looks like a good deal. Is there anything I should be concerned about on this year boat. Thanks for everybodies help.

Eghusa
05-17-2012, 09:27 AM
My parents have a new 20ft baylinear and trailer. Can you use an I/O trailer to transport an inboard? Sorry for all the questions but this will be my first inboard.

wotan2525
05-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Probably not. I'd ask them if they could hold the boat for you until you can find a trailer...... That's a STEAL!!!!

Salty87
05-17-2012, 06:57 PM
this thread is buried in a section it really doesn't belong in (boat owners section). might be your lucky twist.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?10747-2008-Supra-Boatmate-Trailer-For-Sale

i'd jump all over that 98, too.