PDA

View Full Version : Public service announcement!!!

wiatowski
05-09-2012, 05:56 PM
This was on WakeWorld a while back and with the season starting I though it would be good to review.

http://vimeo.com/31761925

pap
05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Great video and great advice

michael hunter
05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
I see it all the time I wish the dealer would give a copy of this to all new boat buyers.

iwakeboard
05-10-2012, 07:46 AM
This is the best thing ever, thank you so much for posting this.

ridein04
05-10-2012, 08:27 AM
In the beginning of the video you almost had me...I like to be considerate to everyone on the lake. I agree the "stupid, and jerk" comments pretty much ended any concern I have for the "professional" wakeboarders out there. I come from a long history of bass fisherman and they have been complaining for years about these "blasted boats people fill with water to make the biggest waves possible, blarring their stereo's to high heaven." I tell them the same thing, try to be considerate and SHARE the public lake!
Since we are on this topic. I have a boat load of 11-13 year old girls who don't care about anything but tubing. The bigger the waves we stir up the more they like it. This includes powerturn after powerturn. What are the "rules" for tubing? I certainly want to share the lake and not ruin it for anyone else.

wiatowski
05-10-2012, 08:44 AM
This is a problem that I don't have to worry about to much... although the lake I'm on is public so few use it that it's more of a private lake. However I will say this... common sense is the key. I don't wakeboard around fishing boats so that I don't disturb them, the same could be said when tubing or anything else for that matter.

haugy
05-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Meh. When I was a kid and my dad was skiing us, when we fell he powerturned. He didn't care about waves or if we were being considerate. He wanted to make sure his child was okay. Sometimes we would crash hard and were slow to give the "all okay" wave, so yeah he'd hammerdown.

If I'm boarding I'll follow wakeboarding protocol. I'm considerate to fisherman, other boats, etc. I slow my larger boat down when I see boats rafted up to docks, or at anchor. So I consider myself very considerate. But with that said, kiss my ass. I'm very aware of my wake, and it's affect on safety and general courtesy. But I don't really give a rats ass if I'm making waves that bother your entertainment. If it endangered anyone, or might do damage to something, yeah I'd be very animate. But oh no, I'm making it choppy, and you want to play on glass.

Guess what? Get your lazy ass up earlier, and get out on the water. Or go somewhere else. I don't complain about others when they do it. As long as it's not dangerous, who cares? I'm out there to have fun. If I can't ride over one set of rollers, I shouldn't be on a board anyways. You're on a boat, on the water, and complaining?

This post was not directed at the OP. It was a general blanket statement to those who get so uppity about powerturns.

ridein04
05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Meh. When I was a kid and my dad was skiing us, when we fell he powerturned. He didn't care about waves or if we were being considerate. He wanted to make sure his child was okay. Sometimes we would crash hard and were slow to give the "all okay" wave, so yeah he'd hammerdown.

If I'm boarding I'll follow wakeboarding protocol. I'm considerate to fisherman, other boats, etc. I slow my larger boat down when I see boats rafted up to docks, or at anchor. So I consider myself very considerate. But with that said, kiss my ass. I'm very aware of my wake, and it's affect on safety and general courtesy. But I don't really give a rats ass if I'm making waves that bother your entertainment. If it endangered anyone, or might do damage to something, yeah I'd be very animate. But oh no, I'm making it choppy, and you want to play on glass.

Guess what? Get your lazy ass up earlier, and get out on the water. Or go somewhere else. I don't complain about others when they do it. As long as it's not dangerous, who cares? I'm out there to have fun. If I can't ride over one set of rollers, I shouldn't be on a board anyways. You're on a boat, on the water, and complaining?

This post was not directed at the OP. It was a general blanket statement to those who get so uppity about powerturns.

:) This is what I wanted to say, but I am new here and didn't want to "rock the boat" too much. lol

sybrmike
05-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Good to see you ate your Wheaties this morning, Haugy. Agreed, first and foremost - be safe. Then, don't be jerk - respect others, thier property, and their right to be on the same public water. I've seen it all. Blaring rap crap full of obscenities near a swim area loaded with kids - No No No. Tuning a surf wave on half plane all sac'd out down a row of moored boats - really? Power turns in a narrow cove full of boats waiting their turn through the slalom course - a hanging offense down here in Texas.

But yeah, open water during normal business hours is fair game as long as commen sense prevails. Just don't be "that guy".

wotan2525
05-10-2012, 10:04 AM

Powerturns are a problem in some very specific (but high profile) wakeboarding spots. The Delta and a lot of the canals in TX are fairly narrow, long stretches of water. One rouge powerturn wave can travel 10+ miles.... and screw up the wakeboarding in that whole area. These are also spots that are incredibly crowded where people have to take turns and wait for "good water."

Powerturns are a lot less of an issue on lakes (or smaller bodies of water) or in places where there are enough lakes that people aren't stacked on top of each other. Instead of getting irritated at the people being irritated -- I'd just be happy that you don't live/wakeboard in one of those places. Powerturns are just one example (that's typically contributed by people in the same "family" of watersports) that seems reasonable to try and address. Making videos about tubers or jet-skiiers just isn't going to change anything.

michael hunter
05-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I thing the terms Jerk-Stupid should be replaced with Ignorant-Rude. I watch my riders when they go down as long as they give the OK signal or there is not a boat or PWC bearing down on them I see no need to power back to them. When you power turn back the first person the wave will hit is your rider . Its all about respect. Lanier is a huge lake and most of it would be fine for fishing tubing and surfing. There are also out of the way coves where the water will be good all day for water sports. If you choose to fish there then dont complain about water sport boats. If you want to pull a tube and power turn ,S turn and circle than you can do it in one section and not spoil the entire cove. From 7-930 am the cove will be great then the Tubers PWCs and cruisers will be coming out. By 10:30 its anchor time . Everybody has the same right to the water with good judgement and driving skills everybody can have a good time . If your bad driving is because of ignorance then its time to wise up if you are doing it because you want to and dont care then you are an a$$.

TitanTn
05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Good to see you ate your Wheaties this morning, Haugy. Agreed, first and foremost - be safe. Then, don't be jerk - respect others, thier property, and their right to be on the same public water. I've seen it all. Blaring rap crap full of obscenities near a swim area loaded with kids - No No No. Tuning a surf wave on half plane all sac'd out down a row of moored boats - really? Power turns in a narrow cove full of boats waiting their turn through the slalom course - a hanging offense down here in Texas.

But yeah, open water during normal business hours is fair game as long as commen sense prevails. Just don't be "that guy".

+1

Shoot, +10. We all have to share the same space. Use your brain and we'll all get along.

Salty87
05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
I think this video is geared towards ballast overload boats.
You didn't have PSA's ten to twenty years ago telling us not to do this when it was skiers. In my boat, you got razzed pretty hard if you fell going over somebody else's wake unless it was a huge cabin cruiser buzzing through.
Anyway, my rant was more about the wording on the video. It's not what you say, but how you say it. This propaganda came across as arrogant and selfish with a demeaning tone.
Where's the video telling useless stupid jerks what a "no wake" zone is? That would be more appropriate on my lake than this clip.

i looks to me like attempted comedy that came up way short. way way short. hits closer to bad taste.

and they were in a supra! booooo

CornRickey
05-10-2012, 09:40 PM
When I was young my dad power turned everytime, but with one small difference. There wasn't any 22ft drives with 3000 lbs of ballast in them. Now there is and we all need to be aware of the issue. Not so much for keeping the water smooth but keeping the shoreline owners happy. Make no mistake erosion is a issue. There already limiting use times on some lakes around here and we are the only ones to be accountable for ourselves. Now that that's said.......I laughed my a$$ off, its comedy people! If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

wiatowski
05-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Now that that's said.......I laughed my a$$ off, its comedy people! If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Thank you!!!! You won't be getting the shovel! :D

wiatowski
05-10-2012, 11:13 PM
i looks to me like attempted comedy that came up way short. way way short. hits closer to bad taste.

and they were in a supra! booooo

Trevor Hansen - Pro wakeboarder.... sponsored by Supra... from FL.

cigars n scotch
05-10-2012, 11:35 PM
It's not "geared toward ballast overloaded", it's Trevor Hansen who is a Pro and probably weights his 242 with 6000lbs.

I'm actually disappointed that Trevor Hansen made that video and CWB supported it. I ride a CWB and now have a slightly different opinion of the company, not their products but the company.
With that said, Trevor Hansen can suck it. He's a moron. Power turns are annoying and it's usually people pulling tubes but they are out there having a good time just like you're trying to do. They don't know any better, and they surely don't know that wake boarders want "glass" to board on.

That's just a purely ignorant video.

Ptownkid
05-11-2012, 12:06 AM
I think that you guys getting all huffy about this video are taking it far too seriously...I'm sure he doesn't want you smacking people with shovels. I understand EXACTLY what your saying, and i do agree in some regards, but I think it's meant to be taken a little more lightly than some of you seem to be taking it.

CornRickey
05-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Your a little late.......I already installed a shovel mount in my ski locker! ;)

haugy
05-11-2012, 08:36 AM
I honestly didn't watch the video. But I'm sure if I watch it, it will be what I expected. Some pro who while jokingly tries to make light of the subject, is really whining like a little girl about waves.

Like I said, I don't give a rats ass about someone elses entertainment. I'm not on the water to entertain other boats. I'm 100% safe, and aware of damaging effects of my wake. But it's not my job to make you happy on the water. I get up early enough for good water. If I get done, and my boy wants to tube, I guess you're SOL.

I understand being courteous, but the effed up irony is, these are the same pricks that I have to put ear plugs in to anchor next to them at the nice cove. And they are they same morons who roll by at speed as I'm rafted up to other boats. Or they pull up, and want to raft up, and only break out one fender for the boat. And it's some $5 fender from Wal-mart. And I'd be lucky if they have ropes or an anchor.

So I don't need a lecture on courteous. On the water, I can be your best friend, those here who have rafted up and met can attest to that. But if you are a self entitled jackass who thinks I owe you anything in terms of courtesy, and don't repay that same courtesy throughout. Good luck.

michael hunter
05-11-2012, 08:45 AM
It's not "geared toward ballast overloaded", it's Trevor Hansen who is a Pro and probably weights his 242 with 6000lbs.

I'm actually disappointed that Trevor Hansen made that video and CWB supported it. I ride a CWB and now have a slightly different opinion of the company, not their products but the company.
With that said, Trevor Hansen can suck it. He's a moron. Power turns are annoying and it's usually people pulling tubes but they are out there having a good time just like you're trying to do. They don't know any better, and they surely don't know that wake boarders want "glass" to board on.

That's just a purely ignorant video.

You are right they dont know any better and the point of the video is to educate ignorant drivers. If more drivers would take a boating safety course and part of that course was driving and pulling technique then this video wouldn't be needed. Its not just the wake boarders that seek glass water everything is easier and better on smooth water. Unless there is an emergency creating a huge wake and slamming your boat through isnt even good for you. I talked to a Coast Guard member about all the stupid things I see daily on the water . He said they are already working on a mandatory licence to operate for every driver. If this happens it will just add another reason to stop you and add another expense to the sport.

Moose
05-11-2012, 12:53 PM
The lake i wakeboard on is allways a little rough later in the day. So I get up early to wakeboard. Most hardcore wakeboarders out during that time are very courdious to other boarders and fisherman. Later in the day you get the tubers doing some kind of snake pattern right in front of your line of travel in the cove that everyone go's to wakeboard. They just don't know any better. Plus fishermen blasting up and down the lake in bass boats. By that time powerturns are kinda a mute point. Rough water makes you a better wakeboarder anyway right?

It's common sense. Don't blast by people trying to fish or swim with your ballasts full and the tunes cranked. Also if the water is glassy and the boarders or skiers are out don't do power turns near them. Just try not to be an a**hole and everything will be fine.

As for the video. I really don't feel sorry for someone who gets paid to wakeboard all day every day. If the water is to rough you have any weekday to wake glassy water while the rest of us work for a living.

wiatowski
05-11-2012, 10:02 PM
I talked to a Coast Guard member about all the stupid things I see daily on the water . He said they are already working on a mandatory licence to operate for every driver. If this happens it will just add another reason to stop you and add another expense to the sport.

Reality here in Canada.

CornRickey
05-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Washington also

JMVOTTO
05-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Kinda comical.... Power turns are no nos but doubles up are ok... Creates the same waves IMO.

webbbrad
05-12-2012, 08:00 AM
JMVOTTO
Respect the new toy... change your profile pic and signature>> HA

Double ups serve a purpose.. Power Turns dont... ;-)

JMVOTTO
05-12-2012, 10:24 AM
So true.. I think that pic came from someone I know. I will upgrade the avatar.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

haugy
05-12-2012, 03:11 PM
This is how I drive.

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=2680317&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/2680317/caddyshack.html)

JmattNC80
05-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Guys,

This is geared towards the people who ruin perfectly good water doing a power turn to pick up there rider. We have all seen it and probably been the person doing it. Taking a hard fall skiing is alot different than taking a fall on a wakeboard. 9 times out of 10 any fall on a ski is hard, so I totally understand people powerturning to check on a skier. This video is geared towards people who are out there who have no clue what they are doing driving a boat. If it's the middle of the day and the water is rough, who cares about a power turn. Put yourself behind the boat with a perfectly smooth run in front of you. 1/4 of the way through your run, some guy comes into the cove pulling a kneeboarder and his rider goes down, he power turns and sends rollers through the entire cove, I can guarantee, you will not be happy some guy did a needless powerturn in that Butter water you saw in front of you.

Basically just be considerate. If you see a person fishing, stay away; see someone rafted up, stay away; see someone making a run in a smooth cove, wait your turn.

I don't run tower speakers for the simple reason, I don't have to have music for the 20 minutes I am riding AND I don't think everyone on the lake needs to hear what I am listening to.