PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried an Airchair ?

mabbore
05-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Has anyonw on here tried an Airchair. They look like a blast! Crazy dangerous but fun as hell. How fast do you have to go?

michael hunter
05-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Not as dangerous as you think . Pulls at very slow speed 10-15 mph. Its very hard to get up . Once up there is almost no drag very easy on your body. My biggest problem is storage when not in use its like bringing in a 3' long anchor attached to a wake board. If my brother in law buys a pontoon I would get one.

mabbore
05-15-2012, 01:37 PM
I have seen some of these Airchair videos here and there on youtube, and they look like a blast. I have been seraching for a used one but find it hard to bite the bullet on essentially a $500 towable. Yeah I could see these being a pain to keep onboard.

jet
05-15-2012, 02:29 PM
NOT as easy as it looks. I only got to try it one time but I just kept slapping the water up, and then down..BAM..BAM. I couldn't find the middle sweet spot. lol.

Jetlink
05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
NOT as easy as it looks. I only got to try it one time but I just kept slapping the water up, and then down..BAM..BAM. I couldn't find the middle sweet spot. lol.Hahaha!!! Jet was totally tea-bagging it on the air chair!!! That is what most of my friends end up doing as well. I found out that you gotta find the limits of the foil and listen to the foil. If it starts sucking air, you are about to experience the dreaded tea bag scenario described above by Jet.

sybrmike
05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Hate to admit it, but add me to the airchair teabagging list. We borrowed one a fews years back without any instruction & it was down right laughable - hilarious, actually. Bounce, bounce, splat - repeat (agian & again & again). Really cool sensation (no, not the teabagging) for those brief runs gliding over the surface before we started po-go sticking. Would love to try it again with someone who actually knew how...

tg0824SSVGG
05-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Ok everyone. Airchair is a BRAND of hydrofoil - there are several. They are NOT dangerous *unless you're nuts* and they are NOT THAT HARD.
Go with someone that knows how to do this. My wife competes at this nationally - she's the number 3 rated women in those that compete. She's got 7 grandkids and
competes against 18-38 year olds.

There are a lot of folks on here that foil.

The key is to hook up with someone that KNOWS what to do -- it's really not that hard if you have a teacher.

I am on the board of the United States Hydrofoil association -- There are TONS of folks all around the nation that WANT to teach you how to ride the thing.
It is the most fun you will EVER have on the water!

Check out this guide that we put out just in the last few months about learning to foil:

http://www.usawaterski.org/BasicSkills/LearnToHydrofoil.pdf

Check out a competition near you: www.hydrofoil.org, www.ushanationals.com

YOU CAN DO IT! Wanna fly?

Todd
Moderator - Supraforums.com

mabbore
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Wow Todd, thanks for all the awesome info. I think that was the push I needed to go out and grab one of these. I have been browsing ebay/craigslist for a while and you can usually find them around $400 or so

DAFF
05-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Wish I never downloaded the how to portion of the thread.... The search is on, anyone know what to look for in a chair??8-)

Jetlink
05-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Wow Todd, thanks for all the awesome info. I think that was the push I needed to go out and grab one of these. I have been browsing ebay/craigslist for a while and you can usually find them around $400 or soIf you are going to be riding exclusively on the chain, the chair is probably not going to be an option as they only run about 4.5 foot water depth max I think in the summer on Fox Lake and the river down north of the dam, these two are the deepest areas of water usually if I recall. Forget trying to ride it on Pistakee and Petite lake as well.

mabbore
05-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah, you are defintley right about the river depth, we have been wakeboarding a bunch this season just north of the damm and it is like 5 feet. But around parts of Fox lake I think it might be deep enough, and might roll up to lake geneva anyway.

Jetlink
05-16-2012, 05:14 PM
You going to be out on Saturday? I think we might hit the chain for the first time all season on Saturday.

jayschock
05-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Agree with Todd. I have skied with Todd and his wife several times. She rocks. I have been a hydrofoil addict for about 5 years now. I have skied, wakeboarded, kneeboarded, barefooted. Foiling is most definitely the most fun you can have on the water. It is more of an addiction than a sport. You can buy a cheap foil for a few hundred bucks but you won't like it. I have gotten a couple of friends into it and they spend anywhere from 1000 to 1500 on entry level foils and the are having a blast. They hold their value really well and are pretty easy to sell. It is definitely not a cheap sport but in my opinion worth every penny.

I've got an 88 comp that I have about $6,000 into and probably have $8,000 into 2 hydrofoils and some misc parts, which is pretty funny. Just bought a couple of new foil racks to keep the foils up and out of the way when not in use.

The foiling community is a great bunch of people. For an idea of the kind of fun we're talking about check out www.foilforum.com and look at some of the pictures and videos. Adrenaline junkies need apply.

Hope to see you this summer Todd.

mabbore
05-18-2012, 03:37 PM
You going to be out on Saturday? I think we might hit the chain for the first time all season on Saturday.

No, saddly. We finnally get a nice weekend and I am getting dragged down to Quincy IL to visit the girl friends family. We have been hitting the chain since March. I cant wait for Memorial day; Blarnys island sand bar, etc.