PDA

View Full Version : I need help figuring out the wake on my 06 Launch 21V?

DocPT
05-15-2012, 11:31 PM
I am new to wake surfing. I recently bought an 06 Launch 21V that says "Official Gravity Games" on the side. It has a long sac in the center that I'm guessing is about 1000lbs and two small ones in the rear lockers. I'm assuming that they are all stock but I'm not 100% sure. I've tried several different ways but we haven't been able to figure out how to make a wake good enough to let go of the rope. What do I need to do??? I'm getting frustrated by watching all of these youtube videos making it look so simple.

bgoslin
05-15-2012, 11:48 PM
How many people do you have on the boat?

DocPT
05-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Usually 4 or 5 but I've had as many as 9-10 before.

bgoslin
05-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Did you see my video that posted on here. In that video i had 4 guys in the boat. I had the left rear sack filled and the center bag about half full. I also had the wake plate about 1/4 of the way down. I was going about 11mph.. If you have a picture or video of your wake post it and I might be able to help you dial it in

DocPT
05-16-2012, 12:15 AM
I'll give that a try. We're headed out this weekend and I'll try to shoot a video. Seems like I've tried everything...all full, left full, center and left, wake plate up, wake plate down. Where were your 4 guys sitting? I always have someone sitting on the left rear corner and everyone else on the left side.

bgoslin
05-16-2012, 12:21 AM
9794 I dont recommend this way but it does make a massive wave . But usally i just have the guys set on the left side of the boat while i turn the boat in a big left hand circle .

KG's Supra24
05-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Yea, I wouldn't recommend no driver either :p

You can take a lot of the work out of it by upgrading bags in the rear. The factory setup is going to have a tough time throwing a good surf wave. The 750's fit good in the rear of that boat. You likely just need more weight surf side rear corner.

Sluggo
05-16-2012, 09:34 AM
It could also be the board your riding and your size. My boat throws a pretty good wave with a bunch of people on it, but being 6' and 230, I can't let go of the rope when riding a 54" fiberglass board. Measure the bags and that will tell you their maximum capacity. This is from wakemakers.com and not a complete list but you get the idea.

Dimensions:

400lbs – 42″ x 16″ x 16″
565lbs – 42″ x 19″ x 19″
750lbs – 50″ x 20″ x 20″
1,100lbs – 50″ x 24″ x 24″
1,450lbs – 108″ x 25″ x 25″

CornRickey
05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I just bought 750 bags from wakemakers. For two bags (black) two thread adapters/plugs, 4 elbow connectors and two air breeders wither the superpowers code total cost was 330 with free shipping. I'm going to extend my lines myself.

DocPT
05-16-2012, 10:24 PM
I just ran across 730 lbs of steel plates that came off the front of a tractor. They are about 1.5 inches thick and 80 lbs each. I have 9 of them. Any thoughts or comments?

CornRickey
05-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Unless your leaving the boat in the water, I would not do it. The wear and tear on the boat loading and unloading and if you leave it in that's a lot of weight on that corner of the boat only supported by a bunk. Might be with a one time shot to get everything figured out but not a long term solution. I have a three battery system so I know my 750s won't fill all the way but I'm thinking its going to be my answer. Especially since ill nav a couple 400's to move around for fine tuning (original bags) . I went last weekend with my 400 on the surf side center half filled and 2 people on the surf corner and I could get slack on the rope using a Landlock. I'm 6' 230 .

Chad Mueller
05-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Stick with it Doc. I had an 07 Moomba LSV and could get a surfable wake with 400 on the surf side and the ski locker full. All of the passengers should be on the surf side too. Speed between 10-11 and the wakeplate 1/2 way up to all of the way up. I usually tune up the wave with no rider out by adjusting the speed and the wake plate until it's as clean as possible - that's more important than the height of the wave. From there you can just tweak it once the rider is out. FYI my usual setup was: goofy / 750 in the back / 400 on the seat behind the driver / ski locker full / 10.5 mph / wake plate up. I'm 180 and ride an inland surfer blue. Just breaking in a 2012 22SSV and can't wait to ride behind it.

Don't be anxious to drop the rope; concentrate on getting it slack first. I find most new surfers don't get enough weight over their front foot and usually drift out the back. Weight your front foot until you surf almost all of the way up to the platform, then ease weight onto your back foot until you start to drift back away from the boat. Repeat this until you find the sweet spot and can stay in it with just minor weight shifts.

kevkev
05-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Before going around and chasing your tail buying useless bags and trying them, use what you have in your boat. I ran around for a full day trying different combinations to get the biggest / cleanest wake with my stock setup. That being said what i found was the right side of the wake was always cleaner than the left, so i began trying to make it the best. I am 6'3" 210lbs riding an inland surfer squirt (it's a pretty short / fast board), I fill the right locker till it pours out (400lb), I fill the center till it pours out (400lb), wake plate all the way up, 12mph and only my wife driving the boat I can throw the rope in and surf all day. It is not the biggest wave on the lake but is definitely surfable, so play with it and get better at surfing before upgrading everything (at least that's my opinion). I also had to relearn how to ride because i am usually left foot forward on everything but it only took a couple of tries and I had it down.

kevkev
05-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I forgot I am riding behind an 07 20SSV.

batmobil
05-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Here is my set up on an 06 21v

Stock center bag full (650)
750 bag port side locker
Original 250 bags full and sitting on floor rear corner and one on the seat
Extra 400 bag laying on port side locker and rear corner seat
wake plate all the way up (bow up transom sunk deep in water)
Speed is around10-11 (I have pp set to rpm which is about 3300)
starboard locker full with 400 bag

We get a huge wave that is 12-15 feet long and almost hip high. Tons of push and easy to ride. You must be careful when turning.

bgoslin
05-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Hey has any body try taken off the hand bar on the swim deck. A friend of mine said it really clean up the wake for surfing. I think I am going to try it I think this weekend but i was wondering if anyone has seen results by doing it

skibumtx
06-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Hey has any body try taken off the hand bar on the swim deck. A friend of mine said it really clean up the wake for surfing. I think I am going to try it I think this weekend but i was wondering if anyone has seen results by doing it

Have you tried removing the rail?