PDA

View Full Version : Weighting the Comp

NorCalPR
05-17-2012, 01:29 AM
I picked up my 98 Supra Comp about a month ago. I'm heading up to my brothers this weekend to rebuild the impeller housing since the seal is leaking...

I wanted to take it out on Memorial Weekend to do some wakeboarding with my buddies. Any suggestions on weighting the boat down and the wakeplate adjustment. I was searching and it seems like the plate 1/2-3/4 up is the hot ticket. Is there a measurement to get it to this height?

I was thinking 5 people, and 3 350lb bags. I was going to turn the back seats against the motor box and run one bag as far back as I possibly can, and one on either side of the motor. Good place to start or am I going to sink it :eek:

-Phill

Jetlink
05-17-2012, 01:47 AM
I would leave the rear bench as is facing forward and lay the bag across the floor between the bench and the box, then the other bags along either side. The boat really should be weighted about 50/50 or 40/60 front to back, too much weight biased towards the back is not going to really do anything. As for the wake plate, I run mine straight level with the boat hull as I more ski than wakeboard at the moment and prefer to have a flatter wake for it. If you want to adjust it, 1/2 an inch to 3/4 inch up from level is where I would start. Lastly, in regards to sinking it, unless one of your buddies weighs in at 450lbs or more, you won't even come close to what I have had in my comp weight wise. I have had four adults plus 1500lbs. of ballast with no issues, just watch the water and when coming off plane until you get the hang of it... Oh, and for god sakes, no power turns with that much weight in the comp!!! That last part was my public service announcement. :D

NorCalPR
05-17-2012, 02:12 AM
No problem, thanks for the advice. I've seen your boat on here and was hoping you would chime in :)

I've driven my other brothers Hydrodyne before with close to 1600lbs in it, and 7 or 8 people. Definitely had to slow down, let the rollers pass, then turn around. Subed it the first time I drove it, but once you sub it once, you learn pretty quick to be gentle with the throttle.

Have you tried the ballast in the very back? I'd like to run the seats backwards since it's easier to watch people ride.

I'll be sure to get some pictures up after the ride, and a writeup on rebuilding this water pump. I'm looking at the PDF from Indmar, and it doesn't seem too difficult. I don't have a press, but I did to a gear install without a press for my truck

Jetlink
05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Unless you plan on keeping the bench swapped, you might have to look into fabbing in some flooring for over the gap in the rear floor. Not too familiar with the newer comps but on mine, the center area is open to the bilge below. Also, the bench might not be built to withstand that kind of pressure of people sitting on it, the edges away from the center might bow or break under the weigh of people leaning into the back of it. When I did my interior rebuild last year, the rear bench had very little to almost no support unless it was in the boat as it was intended. I took the liberty of building the bench like a tank when I made my new one because of that.

Typical people placement for me is two people on the rear bench, two up on the spotters seat and maybe one more sitting on the dog house looking backwards. Works great that way for my crew and myself. I know that Jet runs a ton of ballast in his comp as well and I think he runs a sac or two behind the engine and one up in the locker I want to say but don't quote me on that. Hopefully he will chime in as well.

Here's a picture from last year, half full ballast about so maybe 700-ish pounds, myself and a spotter in the boat, wake plate level with the boat.

NorCalPR
05-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Not bad!

My boat has the back seat in thirds, with cup holders on either side. The middle can go behind the driver, and the two corners can flip around and go agains the doghouse, and the cup holders are right next to them. It's a setup I most definitely wanted to take advantage of

jet
05-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Yep!! Around the engine on the 2-side and rear is the best I have found but then you cant walk around so I usually do 700 in the rear and 400 in the nose and then we can walk around.9809

NorCalPR
05-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Took the boat out yesterday to make sure the raw water intake that i built wasn't leaking. We have about 450 lbs of rock bags. They're bags with a nylon jacket over it, and filled with rocks. Similar to a bag of cement, but they won't split open, conform more, and can take water ;)

I threw about 320 lbs in the back storage locker. The back storage locker can take vests still. The remainder went in the nose, as far forward as I could get it.

Adjusted the wake plate up. I may go down a tiny bit. If I go past 30 or so, the nose will start to act like a pogo stick.

Here was the wake (probably at pulling speed, speedos were out) with the rock bags, and 3 people in the boat. I'll also run 2 ballast bags on either side of the motor.

mapleleaf
05-21-2012, 09:57 PM
did someone say sink??? I tried real hard once...

bens250ex
05-21-2012, 11:34 PM

WOW how much did you have in it?

DAFF
05-21-2012, 11:44 PM

Allstate repesentative.... "You mean to tell me that a jumping fish caused a wake that capsized your vessle ??"

Jetlink
05-22-2012, 12:19 AM
WOW how much did you have in it?Too much of the wrong weight...don't worry, he has seen the light...