PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Comp Seating Capacity and Weight Limit?

cole1
05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
I was pulled over by lake patrol the other day and they did the full inspection, which I passed... However, he asked me what the sticker said next to the throttle lever that tells the boat capacities... Well my sticker must have been removed by a previous owner at some point so I didn't know what to tell him. Can someone with a comp similar year tell me what their sticker says? Does anyone know where to get a replacement sticker?

cole1
05-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I do know the seating is 6 but wondering what the weight says... I also know that is not actually accurate but a recommended number...

Jetlink
05-17-2012, 10:58 AM
You will not be able to get a replacement sticker if I recall as the "ownership" of Supra Boats has changed hands a few times over the years. Therefore, the people or group that owned and ran Supra when your boat was made would be responsible for issuing the information and Skier's Choice is not the ones to do it. Sorry, as I am typing this it is not really making sense to me but that is how I understand it.

kvand347
05-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Sorry to thread jack here, but do you absolutely have to go by the seating capacity numbers? My capacity is 8 (sunsport). Can I have more than that if I have a bunch of kids onboard (4-7 year olds)?

Jetlink
05-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Sorry to thread jack here, but do you absolutely have to go by the seating capacity numbers? My capacity is 8 (sunsport). Can I have more than that if I have a bunch of kids onboard (4-7 year olds)?I believe so, not too well versed on the rules of our northern neighbor too well...the gotcha with that though is that there must be enough flotation devices for each person plus at least one or two throwables yada yada yada... Best bet would be to contact your local law enforcement office who has jurisdiction over the waters that you go out on, get it straight from the source.

cole1
05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
So does anyone know what the factory sticker says?

jet
05-17-2012, 12:28 PM
It says 12 people if there GIRLS!! lol. The weight is like 950lbs but I cant remember how many people?? 6-9?

jet
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Almost had it!!9807

so close..

ts6mnewbie
05-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I have a 1990 comp also. I know it's six people and I want to say the weight is 650 lbs. I remember thinking it was seemed pretty low. I can email you a picture of the sticker if you want.

crystal waters
05-17-2012, 02:49 PM
thought it was 6 people and 850 lbs which I too think is low.
Mine was gone when I bought it!

cole1
05-17-2012, 03:33 PM
If you have a pic of that sticker that would be very cool!

ts6mnewbie
05-17-2012, 09:24 PM
If you have a pic of that sticker that would be very cool!

Just checked my boat. It says 6 persons or 835 lbs. 970 pounds persons and gear. If you want to PM your email address to me I can send you some full res pics if you want to print one out to keep with you.

FecalFajita
06-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I was recently hassled I had 8 people in my 87 Sunsport, which I thought was ok because it's the passenger limit. The cop then asked what the weight limit was...which I didn't know because my sticker has been removed. I didn't get a ticket, but after looking up the weight limit online, 1100 seems really low.

Has anyone had trouble for being under the passenger limit but over the weight limit? And is ballast not considered because it's water weight?

angus2112
06-27-2012, 09:39 AM
pm me your address, i think i have a new sticker i will look when i get home and will send it to you.

haugy
06-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Sorry to thread jack here, but do you absolutely have to go by the seating capacity numbers? My capacity is 8 (sunsport). Can I have more than that if I have a bunch of kids onboard (4-7 year olds)?

Depends on the cop. It's an either/or number, which ever you hit first. Let's say the capacity is 6, and 800lbs. Well if you bring 4 big 250lb boys out, you're at a 1000lbs. So your overweight. On the flip side, it's you (180lbs) and eight 8-yr olds (60lbs) you're at 660lbs, but there are 9 people in the boat. You're overloaded.

The number of people is based on the boats seating capacity in a safe environment, and the weight is put in so you don't overload the boat and sink it. Most water patrol only care about one thing. Seating capacity. While you may have a bunch of little ones in the boat, most cops wouldn't be thrilled to see a 6 person vessel with 9 people in it, especially little kids.

You have to think of the safety aspect, there's a lot going on in that little Comp. There isn't much room to move around in an emergency. Distractions and visibility can be hindered (open bows), etc etc etc.

Of any time I've had a problem with it, it was around the number of people in the boat, not weight. General rule around here, don't go over it. TWRA loves to write up tickets, and being over capacity is a hefty one.

haugy
06-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Thus my point about it's more about people than weight. I've seen a guy get a ticket for one over capacity, while another guy had an additional 1500lbs of weight in his boat over capacity, but only 4 people skate by.

Weight is more in regards to sinking your boat like an idiot, people is more about safety. Thus the water patrol watches people.

chrisk
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
I've been stopped by DNR before and was checked for everything under the sun, except weight. This was before I hid and plumbed in my ballast system so I had around 1000 lbs of full sacs sitting all around on my floor in plain sight and the officer didn't say a word about it.

DAFF
06-27-2012, 04:02 PM
As the captain of the boat the lives of the passengers on board are in your hands. If for some reason the boat does down and the capacities are exceeded then guess who will be guilty in the court of law??? Even worse if someone gets injured or killed....

Don't think it could never happen to you.... Every season there are many innocent lives lost on the lakes due to the ignorance and not understanding rules and regulations.

jshepp122
07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I was pulled over by lake patrol the other day and they did the full inspection, which I passed... However, he asked me what the sticker said next to the throttle lever that tells the boat capacities... Well my sticker must have been removed by a previous owner at some point so I didn't know what to tell him. Can someone with a comp similar year tell me what their sticker says? Does anyone know where to get a replacement sticker?

6 persons or 835lbs

avlrecycling
07-01-2012, 11:27 PM
My 89 Conbrio says 6 people or 850 lbs